Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ah, I see...

ps: congrats, MOF

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Nice weekend, GOF.  A PR & and an overall win.  The trophy case is filling up quickly?

Thanks, guys.  Yep, the shelf is filling up.  It's funny though, my daughter lovingly calls me a "dork" when she sees me with another award.  Especially as was the case this weekend when I brought home a piece of pottery.

Hope you have a good training week.

easyrunner

Took my 9 year old on our local 5k route for the September race series yesterday and we started from the back of the grid as it was more of a warm up for him for his first ever cross country race later this week. Very steady start for the first k at just under 4pace, slowed right down to 4.10 to 4.15 next  3k when the lad felt tired and then he suddenly burst ahead at manic pace (garmin showing just over 3.30 pace!) to get home in just over 20 mins for a PB.

Running is a strange game as I spent quite some time last year finding this 20min barrier a real agony and now 6.30 pace is very comfortable - things can improve if this encourages anyone.

Took my 9 year old on our local 5k route for the September race series yesterday and we started from the back of the grid as it was more of a warm up for him for his first ever cross country race later this week. Very steady start for the first k at just under 4pace, slowed right down to 4.10 to 4.15 next  3k when the lad felt tired and then he suddenly burst ahead at manic pace (garmin showing just over 3.30 pace!) to get home in just over 20 mins for a PB.

Running is a strange game as I spent quite some time last year finding this 20min barrier a real agony and now 6.30 pace is very comfortable - things can improve if this encourages anyone.

so what your saying is...

a 9 year old could run ~20:00 as a warm up. 

ok.  now I feel old.  thanks for the encounragement.  (just kidding)  Smile

Great job!  Congratulations!

Squeaked one in today.  19:57.  Second Overall and a winner in AG.  Got into a real race with a superior runner who beat me by 0:12 seconds.  (He had beat me by 0:26 on 7/4/09).  Three lead changes during the race, and some stride for stride stuff in mile three.  Going out and trying to improve and running PRs is one thing.  This was a different feeling and this was FUN!!  Here's the race report:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/61fe51078da54505a516d523189467e9

Congratulations on the win and the 2nd place finish with a supert 19:21 time.

What a weird weekend.

Race Saturday turned out to be 50% rough hilly trails, 30% pasture and 20% packed gravel.

A disappointing 25:11 finish.  But first overall in the 5k.  Smile

As soon as I got home I searched the internet for another race on Sunday because I didn't want to leave the weekend with that time.

Raced again on Sunday with traditional flat road course.  19:21 finish.  2nd overall, 1st in age group.  PB by 17 seconds and feeling much better. 

Detail reports in my log.

Been trying to increase mileage of late.

But everytime I near or exceed the 10 mile threshold it's like someone put an enema in my Cherrios.

The last mile(s) are brutal.  And after running,  the walk (and sometimes run) to the restroom becomes comical for onlookers as I try to squeeze my cheeks and move at the same time.

To make matters worse today I ran at work at the end of the day and when I returned to the building someone had turned off all the lights at the breakers and I had to fumble around for my key to get into the locker room.  Talk about anticipation.

What's a guy to do?

MoBramExam

GOF, you've got a majority of weeks of less than 30 miles.  10-12 mile Long Runs on that volume is probably a little too much.  If at all possible, you may consider trying to make sure you run 5 days a week.  Depending on where you want to start (high 20s, low 30s), back your long run down to 7 or 8 miles and spread the other 18-24 weekly miles over the other 4 days.  See how you do and build gradually from there.  Remember our age and our need for recovery, if you need to slow down some to run more often, do so.  You're fast enough that I don't think your 5K times will suffer at all.  You'll still be filling your shelf with awards..."dork".

I'm 2 weeks away from a sub-20 attempt.  Last year, same course, 20:18 on a peak of around 35 mpw.  Haven't really done a whole lot more this year, other than more miles throughout the past year.  

Here's to hoping.

Thanks for the advice MoBram.  Maybe I was a little anxious to improve that third mile of a race.  Your comment brings up an interesting question.  What are the symptoms of over training?

Found a pretty good article on over training.

http://www.running-world.net/overtraining_syndrome_2.php

Would like to hear about others experiences.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Ran an unplanned 5K yesterday, 8 days before my goal marathon.  Nice and smooth 20:31, planning for a true shot on Halloween.  I like my chances.
                            I think you have it in the bag Egg.

MoBramExam

Thanks for the advice MoBram.  Maybe I was a little anxious to improve that third mile of a race.  Your comment brings up an interesting question.  What are the symptoms of over training?

The two that I notice the most are loss of appetite and restless nights (too tired to sleep).  As far as training/performance, I can tell I'm overdoing it when my pace does not progress when running several days in a row at an easy effort.  For example, after my tempo workout last week, I did three 6 mile days in a row and then a 12 mile long run.  My pace on the first day (Thur) was mid-9s.  By Sunday, I was running in the mid-8s.  Evidence of recovery.

I've come to interpert "run a lot" and "run more" as "run more often", not necessarily "run further".  If you run more often, the miles will be there in the end.  Do this consistantly over time and there's your gas for that third mile.  Build slowly and you prevent overtraining.  As we get closer to 50, preventing overtraining is key to keeping us from getting injured and helps not wipe out our immune systems.  Both means downtime we can't afford...we're running out of time to be fast.

Read a few more articles, be aware of the overtraining signs, and listen to how your body warns you.

MTA:  Corrected

Current Goals: Run and stuff