Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

MoBramExam

Thanks for making that PG before you quoted me in public  !

MoBramExam

Quint, just found the message and replied.  Sorry, I thought you changed it on purpose and that your original post was funny.  You didn't need to change a thing.

Good luck in October to makers and Egg.  Make sure you guys let us know how you do.

Prince of Fatness

restless nights

This is a big overtraining indicator for me.  Specifically it is restless legs.

Not at it at all. 

I think I may have been in the early stages of over-training.  Tired legs and a slight nagging hamstring pull that doesn't want to seem to get better. 

Taking a couple extra days off this week.  Only a couple more races left this year.  Once I get through those I'm going to take a couple of weeks off to repair the body and then start on some base work.  I'm thinking 6miles/day five days per week.

If you are within the 10% increase rule, 30 miles per week is probably not going to cause over-training.  But of course, if you run the miles a little too fast, run too much on hard surface, it may increase the chance for injury.  Sometimes, shoes may be a culprit as well.

I think I may have been in the early stages of over-training.  Tired legs and a slight nagging hamstring pull that doesn't want to seem to get better. 

Taking a couple extra days off this week.  Only a couple more races left this year.  Once I get through those I'm going to take a couple of weeks off to repair the body and then start on some base work.  I'm thinking 6miles/day five days per week.

If you are within the 10% increase rule, 30 miles per week is probably not going to cause over-training.  But of course, if you run the miles a little too fast, run too much on hard surface, it may increase the chance for injury.  Sometimes, shoes may be a culprit as well.

Thanks gcklo,

Had not heard the shoe angle yet.  No doubt I'm over the the 300-400 mile/pair that the salesman told me.  I was trying to get the full year out of this pair. 

MoBramExam

Good luck to all racing this weekend.  Hope your weather is as perfect as ours.

Looking like I get a shot to run a "no excuses" 5K Saturday morning.  I'm healthy.  Flat course with lots of straight aways.  Race time forecast calls for sunny, 49, with a feels like of 45 (Quint - you came through for me and "willed" a cool morning!), maybe some wind, but not more than 10 mph.  Ran this last year in 19:28, but they had the cone in the wrong place and we turned around too soon.  No Garmin, but best estimate was that course was only about 2.9 miles.  Hope they get it right this tme; would hate to put out a PR effort and not get to count it.

A PR is the primary goal.  PR or no PR, want to finish in the top 3 OA.  Last race as a 47 year-old.  Will turn 48 on Sunday.

Looking like I get a shot to run a "no excuses" 5K Saturday morning.  I'm healthy.  Flat course with lots of straight aways.  Race time forecast calls for sunny, 49, with a feels like of 45 (Quint - you came through for me and "willed" a cool morning!), maybe some wind, but not more than 10 mph.  Ran this last year in 19:28, but they had the cone in the wrong place and we turned around too soon.  No Garmin, but best estimate was that course was only about 2.9 miles.  Hope they get it right this tme; would hate to put out a PR effort and not get to count it.

A PR is the primary goal.  PR or no PR, want to finish in the top 3 OA.  Last race as a 47 year-old.  Will turn 48 on Sunday.

That, and some fresh legs. Might be a good one. Go get'em!

Good luck to JerryBZA as well!

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Good luck.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Ok, wish me luck.  I'm making another attempt at going sub 20 tomorrow.  I've got all my marathon training under my belt and with one week to go to for the marathon I think I'll have my best-ever shot at making it.

I'm running a little 400 person race put on by a local Catholic church. (20th Annual St Paul Harvest Run)

Hope they have an accurate 5k.

Good luck! 

Ok, wish me luck.  I'm making another attempt at going sub 20 tomorrow.  I've got all my marathon training under my belt and with one week to go to for the marathon I think I'll have my best-ever shot at making it.

I'm running a little 400 person race put on by a local Catholic church. (20th Annual St Paul Harvest Run)

MoBramExam

DNF

I'll never be a member of the sub 20 ( don't particularly care for the 5k) However I just wanted to say KEEP UP the GREAT WORK!!!! Knowing how hard you guys are working to make this a reality really makes the burn go deeper when I hear of someone who is looking to go sub 20 without the time and hard work.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sorry to hear that MoBram'

Hopefully nothing too serious... like an injury.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Nope, 20:20 this time.

This is proving to be much harder than I thought!  Can't blame the course, seemed pretty accurate but the mile times they called out were off so it threw my pacing off a bit.  The first mile was called out as 6:10 (garmin showed 6:27 which I didn't see till after the run).  So for mile two I tried to slow some more, that was probably a mistake.  Mile two ended up at a 6:36 pace and 13:04OA, slightly slower than where I wanted to be.  And running that last mile under 6:30 was tough, really tough.  Still, in the back of my head I thought I'd still make it with the pace I was running. 

The 5K is a tough balancing act.  It's so hard to monitor and adjust your pace all the while balancing that out against the pain in your body telling you to slow down.

Garmin splits:

Type Distance Time Total Time Pace Avg HR Max HR Notes
                                Interval 1 Mi 6:27.19 6:27.19 6:28 157 163  
                                Interval 1 Mi 6:36.9 13:04.09 6:37 165 170  
                                Interval 1 Mi 6:29.66 19:33.75 6:30 171 174  
                                Interval 0.13 Mi 0:48.61 20:22.36 6:14 172 172