Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Still a good effort, Jerry....and within striking distance of sub 20.

Anymore chances coming up this year?

19:37 this morning.  Not the best managed race, but I'll take it.

That's 5 of 6 races since July 1st that were sub-20.  I guess the next thing for me to work through is this fairly narrow range of times 19:21 - 19:50.

The weather was a little cool this morning and a bit windy, but nothing that should have affected times.  The course was flat and should produce some good times.

There were 240 runners/walkers.  I started about 3 rows back and shortly after the start things shook out and I found myself in about 7th place.  With the usual studs not running I was able to keep the front runners in view and felt pretty comfortable.

The first mile was called out at 5:58, faster than I wanted but I didn't feel too bad.  Instead of going with it I dropped the pace back but may have done so too much.  I came across mile two at 12:27 about where I wanted to be originally.  The inconsistent pacing may have done me in.   I can't quite remember what mile three was. I think it was 18:50?

I didn't feel nearly as spent as I was with the 19:21 effort.  Probably left something on the course.

I finished 8th overall and 3rd in my AG.  Firgure that?  The 45-49 AG has got to be the most competetive in our area.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

That's 5 of 6 races since July 1st that were sub-20.  I guess the next thing for me to work through is this fairly narrow range of times 19:21 - 19:50.

I finished 8th overall and 3rd in my AG.  Firgure that?  The 45-49 AG has got to be the most competetive in our area.

Good job, guess sub 20's are getting routine!

The same thing is happening here, a lot of fast runners in their 40's and 50's.  I finished 14th AO in the last 5K, but only third in my 50-59 AG yesterday.  I think the winner of our AG ran a low 18 minute time.

MoBramExam

The first mile was called out as 6:10 (garmin showed 6:27 which I didn't see till after the run).  So for mile two I tried to slow some more, that was probably a mistake.  Mile two ended up at a 6:36 pace and 13:04OA, slightly slower than where I wanted to be. 

GOF - "The first mile was called out at 5:58, faster than I wanted but I didn't feel too bad.  Instead of going with it I dropped the pace back but may have done so too much.  I came across mile two at 12:27 about where I wanted to be originally.  The inconsistent pacing may have done me in."

Good efforts by both of you.  Both times are solid.  After running a few 2nd miles almost 30 seconds slower than fast 1st miles, I quit worring about purposely slowing down on the second mile three races ago.  Its over.  Relax, try to run efficiently, and go with it.  Probably going to slow down anyways, so why "help" it and loose more seconds?  Figured I'd never know, maybe I did run the right pace for the 1st mile on that day?  JerryBZA, a couple seconds here and there, a few seconds faster in your second mile, a 3.11 course rather than a 3.13, and you're there...don't give up.

Some interesting race reports. Congrats to everyone for the efforts.

Man, MoMramExam that's one f*ck*d race they have going there. One time they get a pass. Twice is just not right.
             ________
            Update with my training: took half of August and most of September off to heal left foot. I was struggling with PF type symptoms. It was mostly healed so started to run September 27. Happy to saythe last couple days the foot has been pain free! Strange, I had a little discomfort when I started up again. After the 6 or so weeks off, I was disappointed the foot didn't get to 100%. Kind of blows my mind how great it feels now???

Great job!  Congratulations on another fine run!

The weather was a little cool this morning and a bit windy, but nothing that should have affected times.  The course was flat and should produce some good times.

There were 240 runners/walkers.  I started about 3 rows back and shortly after the start things shook out and I found myself in about 7th place.  With the usual studs not running I was able to keep the front runners in view and felt pretty comfortable.

The first mile was called out at 5:58, faster than I wanted but I didn't feel too bad.  Instead of going with it I dropped the pace back but may have done so too much.  I came across mile two at 12:27 about where I wanted to be originally.  The inconsistent pacing may have done me in.   I can't quite remember what mile three was. I think it was 18:50?

I didn't feel nearly as spent as I was with the 19:21 effort.  Probably left something on the course.

GOF, congrats on all the sub-20's this year. 18's are knocking on the door. MTA: Oops, corrected to 18's is what I meant to say.

JerryBZA, good effort. Probably right around the corner.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Maybe we can put some ideas together to help JerryBZA attain the sub-20?  He seems so close.

Jerry, my two cents worth is as I review your logs it appears you have enough mileage put in to get the job done.  What seems lacking is a bit of speed work.  You don't need to overdue it, but something to get your legs used to the rigors of that pace.

Assuming your knee is okay I might suggest some interval work at 6:20-6:25 pace at a local track where it is easy to measure distance.  Once every other week might be enough.  I think a 1 mile warm up followed by 2-3 miles of interval work and a 1 mile cool down would be about right.

How do the rest of you guys see it?

Maybe we can put some ideas together to help JerryBZA attain the sub-20?  He seems so close.

He is close. I'm not very good at giving running advice except for telling somebody that they just need to get out there and run. However, JerryBZA has been doing that. The only thing I've got is something that happened to me in my best 5k (haven't raced many). During that race, I was running neck and neck with a guy that I knew from earlier races. He and I were neck and neck in the previous races as well, same age group, but he was more experienced at racing. As we were coming upon the first mile marker, he asked me how we were doing because he didn't have a watch. My watch said 6:01 and I told him "we're screwed". Too fast I thought...and maybe it was. However, he calmly said, "good, let's hold it right there". My first thought was that he was crazy. But, he said it so calmly and kind of with confidence that it kept me from panicking. So, I figured here we go. We're going for broke. In the end, we did fade some but think if I had made a concious decision to slow my pace, I would have slowed down too much by overreacting. That first mile was done and couldn't take it back. Think the second mile was like 6:10 and 3rd mile like 6:12. I still lack racing experience but that was a good 5k lesson for me. Don't count yourself out. That's one thing that I like about the 5k. If it doesn't work, there's always next week if you want.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Disclaimer: Everyone is different.  I have to say what works for me might not work for everyone.  For me, mileage is key.  I do some structured tempo and intervals sometimes, but not as often as others.

When I first increased my miles to an average of 30-40/week to 60 miles last year, I broke 20 for the 1st time.  Then recently, I averaged close to 80 miles and with a few 90 and 100 mile weeks, the sub 20 pace has become very easy.  In fact, I got close to 20 min (~20:14) in the last 5k of my 1/2 marathon last Sun (after a 1:03 1st 15k and~1:08 first 10mile) .

More miles has helped me the most.

Jerry, my two cents worth is as I review your logs it appears you have enough mileage put in to get the job done.  What seems lacking is a bit of speed work.  You don't need to overdue it, but something to get your legs used to the rigors of that pace.

Assuming your knee is okay I might suggest some interval work at 6:20-6:25 pace at a local track where it is easy to measure distance.  Once every other week might be enough.  I think a 1 mile warm up followed by 2-3 miles of interval work and a 1 mile cool down would be about right.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Really appreciate the support.  If you go back a little bit further in my training log, you can see that I had been doing weekly speed sessions.  Now that it  gets dark at 6:30 those sessions have ended.  Also, I'm totally focused on the Long Beach Marathon (10/11) and trying to get a Boston Qualifying time.  So my speed work has focused more on marathon-type pacing.

I still think I can break through after the marathon.  With the right pacing, training and if all the stars align I should be able to do it.  Hopefully, in the middle of my training for Boston, I can nail a sub 20.  At my age, I'd be really happy with that.

Good luck this weekend!

Really appreciate the support.  If you go back a little bit further in my training log, you can see that I had been doing weekly speed sessions.  Now that it  gets dark at 6:30 those sessions have ended.  Also, I'm totally focused on the Long Beach Marathon (10/11) and trying to get a Boston Qualifying time.  So my speed work has focused more on marathon-type pacing.

I still think I can break through after the marathon.  With the right pacing, training and if all the stars align I should be able to do it.  Hopefully, in the middle of my training for Boston, I can nail a sub 20.  At my age, I'd be really happy with that.

I'm 2 weeks away from a sub-20 attempt.  Last year, same course, 20:18 on a peak of around 35 mpw.  Haven't really done a whole lot more this year, other than more miles throughout the past year.  

Here's to hoping.

19:52 - even splits.  8th overall.

Congrats, Makers.

MoBramExam

Excellent race, makers.  Good job maintaining all the benefits from your marathon training.  A sub-20 reward!