What keeps you up at night? (Read 648 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Last night I was WIDE awake well after bedtime. For some dumb reason I got it in my head that our smoke detector battery needs changing. So I started thinking about the fact that I'm not sure if DS knows what to do in case of fire--his bedroom is upstairs, ours is down. So we need to teach him about feeling the door and how to get out of his room if he can't use the stairs to get out of the house. Why do I think of this stuff in the middle of the night? Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

1. You are nuts 2. You harbor a secret desire to be a public safety consultant 3. You ate bad chinese food 4. You snored yourself awake 5. There was a sudden pressure change due to the weather last night 6. You need to get a life... 7. You are a great mom! mta: so did you get up an change it last night or wait until this morning... Tongue
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think all of those are true except for the the Chinese...but I did have paczkis! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

mta: so did you get up an change it last night or wait until this morning... Tongue
          This AM...I found a fresh 9v battery. Big grin Now I wonder what I will obsess about tonite... Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

but I did have paczkis! Big grin
            hmm...if you had a few...maybe a few too many....that would keep anyone awake....yikes...
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

1. You are nuts 2. You harbor a secret desire to be a public safety consultant 3. You ate bad chinese food 4. You snored yourself awake 5. There was a sudden pressure change due to the weather last night 6. You need to get a life... 7. You are a great mom!
              I think there's more than ample evidence to strongly support #1.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Now I wonder what I will obsess about tonite... Tongue
                How about the fact that in a few billion years, the Earth will fall into the sun and every trace of human history will be erased forever, meaning that nothing we ever do or say will actually mean anything, for all time. All we are is dust in the wind. I find a little existential angst is really fun at 3:00 a.m. You're welcome. Enjoy!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

All business

...but I did have paczkis!
                  Yes! i them too yesterday. I almost missed the fact that it was fat Tuesday, having been focused on Super Tuesday. I love those things though, and my boss has a tradition of bringing some from this great Polish bakery. Lots of coffee, or pre-race excitement will sometimes keep me awake for a while, but normally i sleep like a baby.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think there's more than ample evidence to strongly support #1.
                    Birds of a feather... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How about the fact that in a few billion years, the Earth will fall into the sun and every trace of human history will be erased forever, meaning that nothing we ever do or say will actually mean anything, for all time. All we are is dust in the wind. I find a little existential angst is really fun at 3:00 a.m. You're welcome. Enjoy!
                      See...that's way too significant for me to worry about. I only obsess over stupid stuff like phone calls I need to make the following day, whether we have enough bread, completely inconsequential stuff...

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

How about the fact that in a few billion years, the Earth will fall into the sun and every trace of human history will be erased forever, meaning that nothing we ever do or say will actually mean anything, for all time. All we are is dust in the wind.
                        No, you've got it all wrong. The earth will not fall into the sun; the sun will expand into a red giant with a diameter roughly equal to Mars' orbit and swallow up the earth. I hope this clarification makes everyone feel better.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

No, you've got it all wrong. The earth will not fall into the sun; the sun will expand into a red giant with a diameter roughly equal to Mars' orbit and swallow up the earth. I hope this clarification makes everyone feel better.
                          Dork. I fully expected somebody to counter with the words "Star Trek" or "Battlestar Galactica." And yes, I feel better about being swallowed.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, maybe this will make you feel better. And worse. Wikipeida
                            While it is likely that the expansion of the outer layers of the Sun will reach the current position of Earth's orbit, recent research suggests that mass lost from the Sun earlier in its red giant phase will cause the Earth's orbit to move further out, preventing it from being engulfed. However, Earth's water will be boiled away and most of its atmosphere will escape into space. The increase in solar temperatures over this period is sufficient that by about 900 million years into the future, the surface of the Earth will become too hot for the survival of life as we know it. After another billion years the surface water will have completely disappeared.
                            So, the earth might not get swallowed up, but will be uninhabitable far sooner than the few billion years I used to believe. I don't know how I'm gonna sleep tonight.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jeff...you seriously are a cross between did and my brother. This confirms it. How do you sleep at night? Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff...you seriously are a cross between did and my brother. This confirms it. How do you sleep at night? Roll eyes
                                Heh. Sleep like a rock. With two young kids who don't sleep worth a damn, I'm so tired all the time that I very rarely have trouble sleeping. Though when I do, it's bad and I'll be up to 4am thinking about death. By runaway solar heating.