On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

xor

So, as it is being reported in Seattle, all these WI cuts are the Governor's doing.  "Some" "lawmakers" (by that, I assume they mean state senators and/or reps) don't like it... so have bailed and are "gathered at a hotel in Illinois".

What?

Sorry, but this is Yet Another item where government so very much =/= corporate world that it is hard to wrap my brain around.  I tried to come up with a corporate comparison.  All I can come up with is Michael Scott and how he just sort of went Broken Arrow about 1) the original closing of the Scranton branch (which didn't happen because Josh went to work for Staples), 2) his promotion to corporate and choosing a successor even though it wasn't happening, 3) sharing inappropriate info (branch closings) and then ignoring Dunder Mifflin going down the tubes (and coming up with a "45 day, 45 point plan") and 4) passive aggressively ignoring the integration into Sah-bray.

Oh wait.

#4 actually DOES happen in the real world.  All the damn time in m&a.

I've certainly worked jobs where senior management and middle management didn't agree.  Nevertheless, progress is made. At successful companies. Or it doesn't, at not successful ones. But in government, it isn't really a foodchain like that, so these kind of squabbles just look weird to me.  Like Michael Scott going off in a different direction on a completely different plane of existence than the rest of the company.

I have no idea how anything gets done. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We've spent $2,300 so far this year out-of-pocket for health care (including eye and dental, but not health insurance premiums).  I think I should look for a state job.

DoppleBock

We have a $2000 deductible per person and a 30% co-pay after that

But we are not big users of healthcare.  Preventative yes - Kids check up yes. 

My wife is a nurse and people will come in saying I think my throat is getting scratchy ... or I woke up and my temp is 99.5 ... so I came right in ... but since I am usually 97.0 thats pretty bad ...

My Mom was a nurse and did not have a lot of simpathy for wussies. (Explains a lot) and my Dad was a wussy when he was sick - He was looking to be pampered and she would say "Let Nature take its course" ... and then give him the and "Stop whinning or botheringme about it" look.

The clinic my wife works at always very busy but with 60-70% of cases that should let nature take its course.

We've spent $2,300 so far this year out-of-pocket for health care (including eye and dental, but not health insurance premiums).  I think I should look for a state job.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But we are not big users of healthcare.  Preventative yes - Kids check up yes. 

The whole purpose of health insurance is to even things out among everyone in the pool.  My use of healthcare services has been less than my premiums for years, and I'm okay with that.   My wife's recent cancer diagnosis would have meant instant bankruptcy for us - our stack of EOBs in the last six months would fill a large notebook.

I don't know if this has anything to do with Wisconsin.

DoppleBock

But that is how it suppose to work - I pray she is doing well. 

The whole purpose of health insurance is to even things out among everyone in the pool.  My use of healthcare services has been less than my premiums for years, and I'm okay with that.   My wife's recent cancer diagnosis would have meant instant bankruptcy for us - our stack of EOBs in the last six months would fill a large notebook.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The clinic my wife works at always very busy but with 60-70% of cases that should let nature take its course.

Yes.  But that is not why healthcare costs are growing so fast.

xor

My wife's recent cancer diagnosis would have meant instant bankruptcy for us - our stack of EOBs in the last six months would fill a large notebook.

Sorry man.  I have these notebooks too.  Bleh.

My first house cost $45k.  4 rounds of chemo done out of network (don't ask why) cost me $45k.  It's crazy.

Cheese made it better, though.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sorry man.  I have these notebooks too.  Bleh.

My first house cost $45k.  4 rounds of chemo done out of network (don't ask why) cost me $45k.  It's crazy.

Cheese made it better, though.

Yeah, she's doing alright, thanks. Hope you're past all the nastiness as well.

I like cheese, too.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But that is how it suppose to work - I pray she is doing well. 

Yes, I guess I was saying it's working for us, for which I am grateful.  It's another matter for the uninsured/underinsured, though.

I have no idea how anything gets done. 

who said anything gets done?

BeeRunB

We have a $2000 deductible per person and a 30% co-pay after that

This is why even families with health insurance go bankrupt. One huge health problem and they're ruined. 30%, 20% of the nut for some illnesses or injuries can be a huge pile of cash. I don't see any end to this, as it seems a good portion of Americais happy with the way things are--of course until the biggie comes along and drains their savings, and they get even sicker from the stress of having to keep afloat.

To tie in with the thread:

in Wisconsin, this is true, too.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think people should have to go bankrupt (60% of bankruptcies are related to health care), lose their homes, get loans, etc. if they get ill or injured. I'd be glad to sacrifice a little choice and even wait a little for a non-emergency procedure (people wait now, as they put things off because they can't afford it, even with health care) if it meant all Americans could get access to  health care without the risk of the bills ruining their lives.

Even for Wisconsins!

--Jimmy

Thanks for the correction. Cool

Just when I thought I was an expert for a moment.

I can still dream. LOL.

--Jimmy

No problem.  It's just that when you've got a wife in HR at a state tech college for the last 12 years, you tend to pick up things along the way.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

in Wisconsin, this is true, too.

Even for Wisconsins!

--Jimmy

Nice work tying it in to Wisconsin! Smile

Prince of Fatness

Well, the people of Wisconsin are paying those high taxes out of their own hard earned wages to provide benefit packages to their public employees that are out of line with what the average Wisconsinite gets.

It might surprise you to know that many, many people who've never been union represented and have had to negotiate their own deal for their entire careers and have at times, due to economic conditions, had to take major hits to their wages and benefits (as DB detailed) don't have a lot of sympathy for unions.  Many of them wish they'd only lost 10% of their take home pay over the last 3 years.

Yeah, there's no getting around this.  We have similar issues here in NJ.  I worked for the state years ago, and my wife has been a state employee for years (still is).  So I have a stake in the game.  I'd love for all of these perks to continue.  i would benefit.  But it just ain't practical.  It just baffles me that these unions (and they buy the politicians) think that there is an endless supply of money.  There isn't.  Id rather there be concessions now that would ensure my wife's future.  We'll see.

Not at it at all. 

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I'm a state employee at a public university in Illinois. Our pensions have been raided for years by the legislature to pay bills. Last year they introduced a new pension plan for new employees. Now they are looking at changing the benefits of current employees. We are required to put in 8% of our paycheck and get no social security. It is considered unconstitutional to change the plan for current employees, but I have a hard time thinking it won't happen. 

I am not for changing the pension plan here because the state employees didn't suck it dry - the legislature did. For that reason, I find it really crummy that we are going to end up paying for it...and the legislators who get a great pension probably won't feel the brunt at all. Generally, it seems to greatest affect the least of these, as does everything nowdays.

However, if they make the change, then I'll live with it...or look for another job....or, or, or. Times are changing and you have to go with what you got, I suppose. 

As a state worker, I will say we haven't had raises in years, we've all been working extra to fill unpaid positions, etc. I don't think that is too far off from the corporate world. Some places are talking furlough days. It is a new world and a new reality.

In Illinois, the bills are so far behind that our university has only gotten $11M of its $59M appropriation - making us live off student tuition and fees. And when I went to the dentist recently (with my so-called fantastic benefits), I had to pay the bill in full because the state owed the dentist so much money that they couldn't afford to take the hit up front any more and wait for billing. Instead, they make the patients pay and then let us wait for the bill. That was 4 months ago - and I don't expect to see my money repaid any time soon (seriously, I am simply hoping to see by the end of 2011). Also, many doctors in my area are refusing to accept any more state employees as patients because the state is so behind in paying bills. So, you want to use those fantastic benefits? Not able to because either #1) you have to pay in full up front anyway and wait months and months for refund and #2) doctors may not even see you because you are too risky as the state can't pay its bills.

It is a no-win either way, for anyone.

MTA: I should add, one benefit for university employees that has come under attack is dependent tuition waivers. After 7 years of employment, the dependent of an employee is eligible to attend a state school for 50% of tuition if he/she chooses. The legislature wants to end that. However, they have made it clear they do not want to end legislative waivers - where a legislator gives a tuition waiver to a constituent/s of his/her choice. Oh and by the way, the state doesn't fund that, the universities do - but then the state asks why tuition goes up - HUH?

TRUST THE PROCESS