On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

Dave

Actually, I usually use that argument to illustrate exactly that point.

I went to college with a guy whose dad was CINCPAC. As in, the entire US Military from the Mississippi to the Middle East was under his command. He made a couple hundred grand a year, too.

And you equate CINCPAC to a school superintendent?  Even then, no, he didn't.  He made in the upper 100's.  And was responsible for 10's of billions of dollars and probably 100,000 service members.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

And you equate CINCPAC to a school superintendent?  Even then, no, he didn't.  He made in the upper 100's.  And was responsible for 10's of billions of dollars and probably 100,000 service members.

Ok. I'm being unclear again.

My original post was to illustrate that public employees routinely make less than a private-sector employee with similar responsibilities. It was a variant of an argument that I've been making for years: military officers don't make jack, even considering the benefits.

Seriously, try to find anyone in the private sector that risks more than a paper cut as part of their job.

Police and firemen put their lives on the line every single day.  Part of what attracts them to the job is the pension, because it sure as hell isn't the pay.  What other incentive would there be for a  fireman or police officer to stay with the same department and serve the same community for 20+ years?

I keep reading, "Well, if you don't like it, go get a job in the private sector".  These are not people that we can afford to lose to the private sector.  Sorry to damage some egos, but 99% of us (myself included) have jobs that are in no way essential to  a basic, functioning society.  You really want to offer these men and women meh pay and no benefits and then see what happens?

If the debate involved cutting benefits to members of the military, Republicans would be waving flags and throwing around the patriotism word.  In my city we have neighborhoods as bad as any war zone.  There is endless gun violence and daily murders.  I don't understand how anyone can't back taking care of the people who protect us on our own soil.

Here's a list of the most dangerous jobs where people suffer more than a paper cut.  Surprisingly, oil rig workers aren't on there.  Also, cops and firefighters come in at 10th and 13th, respectively.

These are people we cannot lose to the private sector?  If you get a chance, read some more of his stuff.  Besides, it's not like Wisconsin is one of those war zones.  If Chicagoans want to pay there cops a lot, go ahead.  As for us, we'll try and keep our budget under control.

By the way, if you see any of our representatives down there, buy them a beer and try to convince them to stay.  I'll reimburse you.Wink

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Public schools are failing since many parents don't take a more active role in their kids education.

Actual post by a teacher "friend" on Facebook:

<h6>This whole state budget fiasco has only confirmed my previous beliefs. One should have to pass a test in order to have kids (and maybe to use Facebook too). It doesn't matter what your political affiliation is or your stance on unions etc. But do you really want to contract out the education and care of your children to the LOWEST bidder?</h6>

Now, you need to pass a test based on his beliefs to have children.  I'm sure that a lot of parents don't take active roles in their kids' education, but I'm also sure that isn't the only reason public schools are failing.

xor

Eh, I can't get too worked up about that post... it swipes two different things from other places without giving credit.

"One should have to pass a test to have kids".... this is basically a version of Keanu's little speech in the movie Parenthood, which wasn't original then.

"Do you want to allow X to the lowest bidder"... this one comes up a lot, most famously as applied to the Mercury Space program. ("When reporters asked Shepard what he thought about as he sat atop the Redstone rocket, waiting for liftoff, he had replied, 'The fact that every part of this ship was built by the low bidder.'" cut-n-pasted from wiki)

Eh.

Keanu was in Parenthood?  That must have been back in the day when he knew his acting limitations...or the casting director did.

xor

Keanu was in Parenthood?  That must have been back in the day when he knew his acting limitations...or the casting director did.

He was in the movie, not one of the two different TV versions.  He played... well, Keanu (ok, Todd).  Full on "Whoa".  And then, while talking to his girlfriend/wife's mother, he has a moment of clarity and delivers a brief little speech that involves fish licensing and anal sex.

Edited to add: wow, I just took a big left turn on Wisconsin, the evils of unions, and "government, guns, and tea".

Whoa indeed.

Edited to add: wow, I just took a big left turn on Wisconsin, the evils of unions, and "government, guns, and tea".

Whoa indeed.

Let's just keep going that way.  What do you get when you cross Keanu and Shepard?  I don't have a witty answer, but I bet someone here does.

I've tried introducing legislation to ban butt-reaming assholes from being allowed to become a father.  It can't get any traction on the floor. 

Feeling the growl again

Actual post by a teacher "friend" on Facebook:

Now, you need to pass a test based on his beliefs to have children.  I'm sure that a lot of parents don't take active roles in their kids' education, but I'm also sure that isn't the only reason public schools are failing.

I think you mis-read the intent there.  It has nothing to do with agreeing with the poster's beliefs, but rather proving you are competent and able to be a parent.  While obviously non-actionable I do believe there is some truth behind the sentiment.

Disengaged or absentee parents, or ones not valuing the education of their children or instilling discipline, may not be the only reason public schools have issues but I'd certainly rank it #1.  Perhaps well-meaning but meddling politicians (No Child Left Behind etc) comes in at #2.

I'd rather be a Chicago cop than a public school teacher.  At least you can enforce discipline as a cop.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

According to another recent thread, parental happiness is apparently more important than parental involvement.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I struggle with that.  Particularly given the hard choices many school districts are forced to make with class size and teacher hiring.

$250K could pay for almost 10 teachers Big grin.

Yeah, this comes up here in NJ, too.  It's complex.  Some of these administrator's contracts are unbelievable.  I think that the answer at least here in NJ is to combine districts.  If you make that much you ought to be responsible for a whole bunch of kids, not just a couple of hundred.  The problem is that the same people bitching about high taxes don't want to hear about combining school districts, because little Johnny's education might suffer.  I think that that's a crock of shit, but whatever.

I'd say this type of discrepancy gets MUCH bigger in the private sector, where you see much larger salaries and incredible golden parachutes at the top.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

beat

Break on through

According to another recent thread, parental happiness is apparently more important than parental involvement.

(parenthetically)

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Purdey

Self anointed title

I've tried introducing legislation to ban butt-reaming 

I'm sure that legislation is in place in some countries.