Does PF make your foot unstable? (Read 140 times)

SillyC

Ugh - so my foot hurts, and I thought it was just plantar fasciitis.  It started hurting two weeks ago, right after I ran a 50 mile race.

I'm trying to decide whether to go to the doctor or not.  I can home-treat PF for now.  But there's something a bit weird with it.  When I try to stand on that foot on my tiptoe, I'm really unstable, and not just because of pain.  On my other foot, I can stand easily on my tiptoe.  Is that typical of PF?

Thanks!

Tim_Easterday

The instability points to a weakness that could be contributing to the PF. Possibly a weak tibialis posterior muscle/tendon. Work on strengthening the lower leg with one-leg balancing and ankle inversion/eversion moves with a resistance band.

SillyC

The instability points to a weakness that could be contributing to the PF. Possibly a weak tibialis posterior muscle/tendon. Work on strengthening the lower leg with one-leg balancing and ankle inversion/eversion moves with a resistance band.

I'm thinking the weakness is due to an injury, like ripping a tendon or something, not some sort of "imbalance".   I didn't have weakness OR pain before that 50 mile race.  I'm sure I could stand on that foot on a tip toe three weeks ago.  Then I ran 50 miles.  The next day everything hurt.  Three days later, everything was fine BUT the foot and now two weeks out the foot still hurts.

Tim_Easterday

Probably just a case of doing too much then.

running > all else

I suffered with PF for nearly a year, a while back, from overuse of treadmill running.

It was painful to walk, but something to note…when I wore heels, the pain subsided. Tip toes, it subsided.

I ended up seeing a podiatrist and he gave me occasional shots of cortisone to give some relief, but the pain would return like 8 or so days later.

The stiffness and pain lasted for nearly a year…it was horrible.

It ‘sounds’ like a symptom of PF, but truly…pain that is persistent of any nature…whether you have self-diagnosed it or not, I’d make a trip to the doc.

He/she may be able to shed some more light as to what the problem is, and help you rehab it for a quicker recovery, at the very least.

Sorry you’re in pain! Sad Sending healing vibes your direction.

SillyC

Thanks, EssGirl!

It's actually doing much better now.  I decided to try three days of NSAIDs to see if that helped, and stop with the aggressive foot rolling.  I *think* PF isn't really inflammation, it's something else.  The NSAIDs helped drastically.  I've been off them now for 24 hours and my foot is barely complaining.  Yay!   I think that did the trick.

I'm going to try to go out for 3 miles or so after the kids go to bed, and take it easy.  If I can manage a few runs, I'll declare myself on the mend.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Not sure if this will be helpful but I had PF several seasons ago and tried all kinds of things.  Had some great results from that strassburg sock thing (maybe $20 at your local running store).  I just wore it to bed, then iced the food in the day at my desk with a frozen water bottle.  Once I got that fixed up, it never came back.  I've sense lent out the sock to others, in fact, don't even know who has it now, but if the pain ever came back, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of those silly socks.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team