mediocrity (Read 451 times)

Whether it is true or not, race directors say that race prices are skyrocketing because runners are demanding so much entertainment.  In addition, Technical shirts, beer, food, coupons, customized bib numbers.

I know that you have seen runners cheer for themselves during the races; running down the road trying to make spectators cheer for them.  Stop throwing your hands in the air and race.  For a gread time, read about the Vegas Rock and roll marathon.

Better I Leave

Being a newcomer to the sport I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who run. Why? Well for starters running is about the toughest "sport" I've become involved in. Of course, when I was young I was the fat bookworm that always was the last to be picked for the softball team. When I started running, I did it to lose weight. When I entered my first HM, I placed in the overall pretty much right smack dab in the middle of the bell shaped curve (came in 2 minutes ahead of the overall average)...And I was ecstatic. I'm still pretty much a runner that comes in right at the top of the curve, but ya know what? Having never been competitive, I'm OK with that. I'm not out to prove anything to anyone other than to myself...and if I finish, I'm happy. If I come in better than I expected...so much the better.

And back to the respect for runners issue..."Mediocre" runners deserve praise, respect, and admiration...why? Because they're brave enough to show up and do it. Furthermore, they may not be coming in at the forefront, but they're at least coming in ahead of "Joe Six Pack" and his couch. I have a friend who apparently has been inspired by me to start running. He's overweight, has bulging discs in his neck, and has a bifurcated artery. He committed to running the Primo 5K in Danville this October. He can't even run 1/2 mile at the moment, but he's working on it. I am so impressed with his determination that I told him that I will run it with him...at his side, and we will cross together.

Medicrity? Perhaps...I call it inspiring.

Witchkizzle

Whether it is true or not, race directors say that race prices are skyrocketing because runners are demanding so much entertainment.  In addition, Technical shirts, beer, food, coupons, customized bib numbers.

I know that you have seen runners cheer for themselves during the races; running down the road trying to make spectators cheer for them.  Stop throwing your hands in the air and race.  For a gread time, read about the Vegas Rock and roll marathon.

I fail to see the issue here, but that may be because I'm a mediocre "issue see-er"

xhristopher

... for starters running is about the toughest "sport" I've become involved in. 

Yet most of us label most of our running as "easy."

Better I Leave

Yet most of us label most of our running as "easy."

I've walked away from a good lifting session "feeling" it, sure. But when I walk away after finishing a HM...I FEEL it. **grin**

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have delusions of mediocity.

Is that in the DSM?  I may have it too.

BeeRunB

I believe that some of the best probable runners in America, ones who could dominate on the world stage, are professionals in other sports, or just never took up running or sports to begin with, and decided to do something else. Big choice of sport and opportunity here in the USA for someone that talented. What you're seeing is the best possible runners we have of those who took to the sport. When someone  can make millions playing football, basketball or baseball, running isn't the most attractive choice on the list. And if you happen to be a genetically talented runner who also e.g. is an engineering wiz, engineering might be the better path to follow for personal fulfillment and financial security, or if you want to support a family. Running isn't even an option. Some of the fastest probable runners hate running. Just because you're born with the potential to be the fastest ever doesn't mean you're supposed to pursue the sport. In some countries, it's one of the best options you have available to you, and you'd be nuts not being a runner if you had the talent.

The way I look at the amateur and elite world of running achievement is this: since base running speed is tied to genetics, and the potential speed of each individual runner is different--then the 6 hour marathoner who realizes his or her potential and hits that e.g. ultimate 4:30 marathon after years of training has achieved something equal in triumph and awesomeness as Paula Radcliffe running 2:15:25 or Patrick Macau reaching his 2:03:38.  Both the amateur and the elite worked their tails off and reached their very best within their genetic blessings.

I also think congratulating and rewarding the amateur that finishes a marathon in 6 hours after working their tails off, is not celebrating mediocrity. It's celebrating an actual achievement that wasn't easy.

Now, enough of this, and back to Gilligan's Island where Maryanne's crowning achievement was the use of the coconut cream pie as metaphor for sexual availability, and where the Professor advanced the sciences of pedal-powered appliances ,and telescopes, dentist drills, hypodermic needles, and stethoscopes--all made of bamboo. A celebration of excellence! (don't even get me started on the mad genius of combining Hamlet and Carmen into one production).

Cool

Right on Hereford...

I believe that some of the best probable runners in America, ones who could dominate on the world stage, are professionals in other sports

I highly doubt it. The physical traits that make good football, basketball, and baseball players are entirely different than the traits that make good distance runners.

Apart from that, it doesn't seem possible to "dominate on the world stage" in distance running these days.

TJoseph

I highly doubt it. The physical traits that make good football, basketball, and baseball players are entirely different than the traits that make good distance runners.

Apart from that, it doesn't seem possible to "dominate on the world stage" in distance running these days.

East Africans certainly dominate distance running today.  You could argue that is because distance running is a much more popular sport in that region.  In many cases, it is their ticket out of poverty like pro football, basketball, and baseball are in the US.

BeeRunB

What physical traits are you talking about?

Why is running the only sport where mediocrity is not only accepted but praised? It reminds me of the courtesy clap that is given to all of the runners who just finish the race. This may be the reason that Americans cannot compete on the world stage.

Note: this is not a jab at people who train hard for their own personal goals, but the mindset of races having a lot of swag, chip timing and getting praised just for showing up.

---  Something is better than nothing.    If someone was once sedentary, and are now crossing the finish line in their first half or full marathon, then I am going to be cheering for them bigtime!  Positive vibes are contagious. :-)

---  Secondly, My first marathon was nearly 5 hours to complete, and my second marathon not much better... I suppose I should have just never shown up!  Big grin

---  Finally, being a weather buff, I absolutely love the word Mediocre.  How are my run stats?  Not the best, not the worst,,,, Just Mediocre.  How will the weather be today?  Mediocre!  I love Mediocrity.  There is very little pressure in mediocrity because you aren't the worst, but you don't have the pressure on you that comes with trying to maintain being the best either.    "Mediocrity is Wonderful!!!". That is my slogan.  (Wait... That is an Oxymoron, isn't it?!)  Approve

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

EbonyN

MusicofEbony

I think I must have fallen in a rabbit hole, because now after reading the original post I find myself on the letsrun.com message board.

Formally known on the Runners World forums as Malletgirl02.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Do you not think that Haile Gebrselassie dominated on the world stage?

Do you not think that Kenenisa Bekele dominated on the world stage?

Of course both have passed their prime.

I think some would say that David Rudisha dominates on the world stage right now -- although that is not quite distance running.

I can't think of a pick off-hand in distance for the last several years -- except, Mary Keitany has done some impressive running on the world stage.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I think I must have fallen in a rabbit hole, because now after reading the original post I find myself on the letsrun.com message board.

---I visited it, did not like it at all, seemed a crazy place.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5048337

"the president and the pope are criminals?  What kind of running board is that?!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

"the president and the pope are criminals?  What kind of running board is that?!

The agregiousness of it all! Smile       <sic>

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.