Down Under Sports (Read 85 times)

joescott

One of my sons got a letter at school telling him that he had been selected to represent the USA in the Down Under International Cross Country race in Australia this summer.  Some quick Google searches seem to reveal that this is basically baloney.  And, uh, he was pretty good this year as a freshman, but not in any danger of making the podium at the state meet if you know what I mean, so it's pretty suspicious at that level, too.  Anyone else's kid get this?

And no, we're not going to be making a trip down to Aus this summer so he can run in this little race.  For one thing he's going to be too busy making some of his own money lifeguarding at a city pool, not spending MINE traveling to Australia. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Don't know about that organization, but I did Sports for Understanding (a program of Youth for Understanding) when I was in high school (summer 1990). I ran in Australia with an ad-hoc cross country team of American high school kids. In terms of running it was of pretty poor quality. We had a few training sessions with local teams, and we got to run in a regional or a state championship-type race (in which we had no business racing). Basically, it was a pretty good cultural/travel experience for me - 4 weeks traveling from Adelaide, Alice Springs, and Melbourne - but also likely a boondoggle that let a coach travel across the globe on the dime of some suburban kids who convinced their parents to let them run across the Outback ...

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Huh, reminds me of those old scams that appeal to one's vanity.  "You have been chosen for Who's Who among American Office Drones. Just submit $89.95 for each copy of this valuable reference volume."  That's small potatoes compared to Australia, though.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Don't know about that organization, but I did Sports for Understanding (a program of Youth for Understanding) when I was in high school (summer 1990). I ran in Australia with an ad-hoc cross country team of American high school kids. In terms of running it was of pretty poor quality. We had a few training sessions with local teams, and we got to run in a regional or a state championship-type race (in which we had no business racing). Basically, it was a pretty good cultural/travel experience for me - 4 weeks traveling from Adelaide, Alice Springs, and Melbourne - but also likely a boondoggle that let a coach travel across the globe on the dime of some suburban kids who convinced their parents to let them run across the Outback ...

Yeah, there are musical group tours like this as well.

joescott

"You have been chosen for Who's Who among American Office Drones. Just submit $89.95 for each copy of this valuable reference volume." 

That is *exactly* what I thought of.  Although in my case I really am somebody among American Office Drones, so I think my $90 plus $15 shipping and handling was well spent.  Don't remember seeing your name in there, though.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That is *exactly* what I thought of.  Although in my case I really am somebody among American Office Drones, so I think my $90 plus $15 shipping and handling was well spent.  Don't remember seeing your name in there, though.

Did you check "Who's Nobody among American Office Drones?"

rundwoods

Seriously? I donated to that for a young athlete here. . .

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Seriously? I donated to that for a young athlete here. . .

runwoods - It may or may not be a boondoggle, and it may or may not be serious running. I think my experience as a youth bordered on boondoggle, and it was surely not serious running.

Still, it was a good experience for me, even if (in retrospect) it wasn't everything it could have been. I got to see another country and another culture, and I traveled without my parents for the first time. It was, overall, a good experience for me. I wouldn't worry too much about your donation. You're supporting a kid who is likely going to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience ...

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

rundwoods

All I was hoping for was a good experience doing something she otherwise may have never been able to do. . .

Duckworth - I've seen your Hanson's posts and peeked at your log. Getting ready to start mine next week.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Duckworth - I've seen your Hanson's posts and peeked at your log. Getting ready to start mine next week.

Good luck. I have been back to running for close to 4 years, but have never put together an entire year of solid running. Lots of interruptions - some due to injury, some due to other life factors. As such, I don't have the base that I think you really need to do Hansons. I'm adapting Hansons now, and look forward to trying it again after I've been running consistently for more than a year interruption-free.