Frostbite Half Marathon (Read 1084 times)

mikeymike

I hope you are right. My daughter was up at 3am with 101.8, probably the same thing I have. But I hope you are right. Looks like perfect conditions for a run called Frostbite: 35 degrees, snowing and a 15 MPH wind. I will run the thing, and I will finish. Even if I am crawling. And then JKn and I will share some homebrew!
    That's a drag. I have 4, so there is rarely a time when one of them is not sick from Nov-Apr. I seem to dodge most of the viruses that float around our house but occasionally one nails me. 35 degrees is a heatwave. Don't overdress. Good luck, Nashvillians! Oh, and the smiley in my sandbagger post should have been implicitly understood. Big grin

Runners run

JakeKnight

I hope you are right. My daughter was up at 3am with 101.8, probably the same thing I have.
      What's that they say about physicians being the worst patients? I'm sure the wind and the rain and the bitter cold will be good for you. Roll eyes Moron. If you pass out, I'm going to leave a size 9.5 Asics print on your back as I hurdle you. And if you puke, I'm uploading it You Tube from my cell phone. Consider yourself warned. For the record, I'm planning to run as close as I can to a 1:50 without going a second faster. So beat that and you beat me. Unless it's cold,or any of those other mind-changing factors I mentioned somewhere else. Okay, now that we have all our excuses lined up .... where am I going tomorrow exactly? I just asked you the same thing in an e-mail, but where do we park? Let me know. Thanks for the HM info by the way. Looks like - as expected - my only options are spring or fall. Oh, well. Good to hear about Tom King, too. I'll be there, either running or watching. I've never actually been a spectator, and it might be a lot of fun. Plus, then I could just drink beer the whole time. Come to think of it, why do we run again?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Big grin
        Mikey just used an emoticon. Someone take note of this.

Why is it sideways?

Trent, Shouldn't you be resting up for the race tomorrow instead of sweeping the board? Good luck, by the way.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

An inch of snow on the ground. This sure reminds me of last year...
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

SS1. Too bad you didn't weigh in on today's competition. Sheesh. Beutiful day. Snow falling. Tough wind on the second loop. Tough hills too. I think this year's course was a bit harder than the standard Frostbite course. Gorilla - 1:45 Monkey - 1:46 Sheesh.
              mikeymike

What were the seconds? Were you in sight of each other at the end? Was it toe-to-toe battling for every yard? Somebody Dwight Stones it for us. Wow after all the sandbagging and gamesmanship we indeed get a barn burner. Lets review:
                See you there, birthday boy. In fact, consider me letting you win as my official gift. I'll even make it look like I tried, if you want.
                Looks like JKn might beat me. I'm illin. Dang.
                I hope you are right. My daughter was up at 3am with 101.8, probably the same thing I have. But I hope you are right. Looks like perfect conditions for a run called Frostbite: 35 degrees, snowing and a 15 MPH wind. I will run the thing, and I will finish. Even if I am crawling. And then JKn and I will share some homebrew!
                Jeff in the weather thread:
                For the record, folks, JK's taper (let's call it what it is) has nothing to do with weather and everything to do with JK v. Trent, Battle of the Monkeys, Saturday 11am.
                Jake's reply:
                Negative, Ghostrider, that pattern is full. Nope. Just an exhibition. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here. Unless Trent is very slow, he'll win by 5 minutes, give or take 30 seconds. Unless I change my mind. Or I'm bored. Or it's cold. Or I want a beer sooner. Or I'm just feeling froggy. April 28th is the showdown. Mark your calendar. Or in your case, just stop running once you get to Titans stadium, and wait approximately 1.5 hours. Or so.
                Oh and, let's not foget the mother of all psyche outs:
                For the record, I'm planning to run as close as I can to a 1:50 without going a second faster. So beat that and you beat me.
                Well played, JK. Well played...

Runners run

JakeKnight

What were the seconds? Were you in sight of each other at the end? Was it toe-to-toe battling for every yard? Somebody Dwight Stones it for us. Well played, JK. Well played...
                  For the record, I specifically left behind a bunch of disclaimers to all my nonsense. Which you kindly posted. But to be honest, I didn't really mean to run that fast. I'm actually pleased as punch - training actually works. Go figure. Plus it was cold as @#%! so running slower wasn't much of an option. Ran the first 5k ..... at decent 5k pace, up a steep hill, not exactly smart ... and surprisingly didn't burn out afterward. Probably a dumb strategy 99 times out of 100 ... but today it worked fine. I had a nice quarter mile buffer on Monkey Boy, too, after the first few miles. But at mile 6, I look to my right on a turn and see he's gaining. At the mile 8 water station, I walk for a few seconds ... and Trent jogs by. Dreams ruined, hopes dashed. I told him he'd be my pace bunny, figured I could tail him for a few miles ... ... but miracles happen, like the 1980 Olympic hockey team, or that butter that comes in a spray bottle, stuff like that. And suddenly I felt great, turned on the afterburners, and by that same turn on the second lap at around mile 11, Trent was a small and fading dot of bluish-gray on the horizon. But he must have pushed it hard after that - because I should have had him by 4 or 5 minutes. Another 3 miles, and he would have caught me. But alas, it wasn't to be. He ran out of miles. No official times yet, but my watch said 1:45:05 and I think his time was something like 1:46:06. I'll gloat more thoroughly later. Today's his birthday, after all. Plus, he gave me beer.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A good beer. I gave you a GOOD beer. Not a quarter mile. 40 seconds. Yes, I was counting. Even gorilla man does not cover a quarter mile in 40 seconds. Wink
                    JakeKnight

Not a quarter mile. 40 seconds. Yes, I was counting.
                      You counted? Seriously? Ahem. Roll eyes I'm going to refrain from mocking you until after your birthday. And then I'll be merciless. He counted ... (snort) You could have just looked at your watch, you know. Smile P.S. How 'bout Vandy, huh?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looking at my watch takes far too much coordination. Counting helps the time pass. Gorilla man was NEVER out of my sights... Go Vandy. I should have worn my Black and Gold Saucony Triumphs!

Finished!

well done to both of you Smile sounds like you guys had a good time - esp the beer part Wink
                          Walk + Jog = wog.
                          I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                          I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yummm. Home Brew.... Mikey, check it. With Heart Rate monitoring.
                              Happy Birthday, Trent! Why did you have to upload that garmin chart? It tells you windspeed? Dang! Congrats to you and Jake on your race.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group