Frostbite Half Marathon (Read 1084 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks! I upload a lot of my GPS to motionbased. Given all the chatter about this race, I thought it might be interesting to share. Wind was supposed to be 15 mph, so this was a relief!
    mikeymike

Yummm. Home Brew.... Mikey, check it. With Heart Rate monitoring.
      That is pretty cool. I like the little spike in HR with .5 miles to go...I guess you could still see the gorilla!

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That was my big kick downhill, trying (failing) to catch Gorilla boy as he too was sprinting. But I did pass Roger, somebody who has forever been a league ahead of me. No more. Evil grin
        JakeKnight

Yummm. Home Brew.... Mikey, check it. With Heart Rate monitoring.
          Dude. I swore I was never gonna get a Garmin. I'm, like, a purist, or something. But that is just ... Sooooooooooooo Coooooool. I. Must. Have. It. Although I'm calling bullshit on that windspeed. It was way, way worse than that in the last 3 miles. P.S. Did I read that right? Did we run the same elevation change as the Monkey, in half the distance? No wonder my legs feel like someone beat them with a baseball bat.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

mikeymike

Dude. I swore I was never gonna get a Garmin. I'm, like, a purist, or something. But that is just ... Sooooooooooooo Coooooool. I. Must. Have. It.
            Dude. I wish I'd had one of these gizmo's when I was training for marathons and I am soooo looking forward to using it for my next marathon in ~October. Doing big workouts on the roads is just so simple. Yesterday, just to see how it would go, I did 5 x 1 mile with 3 minute recovery jogs. It was unbelievable. I've always tried to do these types of workouts on the roads versus the track or a measured loop just because it is less monotonous and I think it is better training for the environment you're going to race in--hills, wind etc. But it's always been tricky to know how far or fast I was actually running. I wound up doing most of my workouts by time, such as 6 x 5 minutes etc. With the Garmin, I entered in an advanced workout: Lap 1: run until I hit the lap button (warmup), Lap 2: run 1 mile, Lap 3: run 3 minutes, (recovery) Lap 4: run 1 mile, Lap 5: run 3 minutes, (recovery) Lap 6: run 1 mile, Lap 7: run 3 minutes, (recovery) Lap 8: run 1 mile, Lap 9: run 3 minutes, (recovery) Lap 10: run 1 mile, Lap 11: run until I hit the stop button (cooldown.) So I went out running. After about 38 minutes (when I was finally on a stretch of road where I wouldn't have to cross any significant patches of ice and snow) I hit the lap button. From there the Garmin told me what to do. It was fantastic. My mind is racing with all kinds of workouts I can create with the thing. I can't wait to do marathon workouts such as 18 miles with MP reps of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 miles with 2 minute recoveries, etc. It makes me almost want to abandon the plan and run a spring marathon. I'm having a hard time not listening to the little devil on my shoulder whispering in my ear (stay on target, stay on target...) Bottom line, get one. Modifide to add: Check it. Note that I got in barely any cooldown due to a hard deadline to get home (my daughter had a Dr. appointment--sick visit no less.)

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did we run the same elevation change as the Monkey, in half the distance?
              No. The elevation profiler on GPS tends to overestimate the actual elevation change. The first hill was about 100 feet, the big hill was about 400 feet, and the rolling maybe another 100 or 200 feet. Your total elevation change is about 1200-1500, or about the same as one time around the 11.2.
              mikeymike

No. The elevation profiler on GPS tends to overestimate the actual elevation change.
                Seems like tuning that with MotionBase gravity web service works pretty well. When I do that I get the same elevation gain as I get with gmaps etc.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Seems like tuning that with MotionBase gravity web service works pretty well. When I do that I get the same elevation gain as I get with gmaps etc.
                  RunningAhead samples USGS for elevation data aver 0.1 miles. MB with gravity service samples USGS for elevation data every 1-5 seconds that you are moving, depending on how you have your device configured. That means you will get as much as 100-200 x the elevation data with MB as you will with RunningAhead. On a particularly rolling course, that means RunningAhead will underestimate the total elevation change. MB can overestimate it because the route it thinks you are taking is not always the actual route you take; every time it believes you swerve off the road it adds elevation (since the road is smoother than the embankments and hills around the roads). You can see this if you switch to a satellite view and see how often the route swerves just a foot or two ff the road.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looking at other folks' GPS data for the Frostbite half marathon I see that most get about +/- 1700 feet. Not quite sure why mine got +/- 3200.
                    mikeymike

Interesting. So the truth is somewhere in the middle? I just noticed that certain hills, without MB gravity service--appeared way bigger than they do in RA maps. But with, they are about the same. I never really knew or tried to estmate the total net gain/loss over an entire run. Did you do anything to set the frequency your GPS is sampling? Mine seems to be at ~5 secs per track point. I never did anything with it. At that rate, it is so far incredibly accurate for running. I would think on a very curvey course this might not work though since I do notice it cuts corners here and there when I make a sharp turn.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The GPS units are set, I believe, to be "smart" about how often they track data. That means that the faster you move, the more frequently they take points. So for most running, it is about once every 3-5 seconds. For Gorilla Man, it is once every 15 seconds. For Jeff it is once a second. You can reset it to record once per second, but that generally creates a huge amount of data that slogs down MB. I forget how to change this setting, but it is somewhere in the training options I believe. Yes, the truth is in the middle. Interestingly, if you have gravity service turned on, bridges go away, so that if you run over a bridge, the elevation profile makes it look instead like you ran down to the river, went for a swim and then ran back up to the road. This too adds elevation. If you do not use gravity service, you get a lot of noise from arm swing, which adds a lot of false elevation change. None of it is perfect. Yet. Big grin Total loss and gain over a run is only part of the picture. It is also nice to have an idea of the road grade (which you get on MB but not yet on RA) and the number of climbs/descents. Pikes Peak marathon, for example is brutal not just for its >9000 foot climb, but for the fact that it is done almost as a single relentless climb and that it includes grades of up to 25% with an average 12%. While the Monkey Marathon has over a third the climb with the same peak grade, the average climb grade is far less and the climbing is broken up over 7-9 distinct climbs (depending on how you count), so it is a much much faster race (although it is far from fast, right Jeff? :rollSmile
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is official. Sheesh. 10 -Gorilla Man's Real Name- 37 1 45 22 Nashville, TN 11 S. Trent Rosenbloom 37 1 46 11 Nashville, TN
                          JakeKnight

It is official. Sheesh. 10 -Gorilla Man's Real Name- 37 1 45 22 Nashville, TN 11 S. Trent Rosenbloom 37 1 46 11 Nashville, TN
                            Hey, where have they posted results? Can't find 'em on the website or on the Striders site yet. And who added 17 seconds to the time? Bastards.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/timrock/vpost?id=1709832 Um. You added those 17 seconds to your time. Think about that next time you walk through a fluid stop. Evil grin
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did we run the same elevation change as the Monkey, in half the distance? No wonder my legs feel like someone beat them with a baseball bat.
                                I fixed the elevation on this. Now it reads like it should: +1,379 / -1,460