Piraformis injury (Read 121 times)

Kbart

I injured my piraformis three weeks before my last marathon in September. It greatly affected my race. It has been fine since then, but I just went out and ran ten today and it flared up. My shoes aRe only about a month old so I don't think that's is. Does anyone have suggestions on how to help it heal and what to do to prevent this in the future?  Thank you

Feeling the growl again

There are many potential causes, and many potential solutions.  There are also other things it could be.  In general I'd suggest doing planks and other core-strengthening work, as imbalances and weaknesses appear to be a significant cause.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

could also be inflammation of the tendon at the top of the hamstring.  I either had that or piriformis.

I tried lots of stretching based on what I read; didn't work.  Started core, hip flexor, general leg strengthening (slowly) which seemed to help a little.  The big improvement in my case came when I stopped stretching, especially stretching my hamstrings.  I think the stretching was making the tendon even more inflamed.  After a month of no stretching, I eased back into very limited stretching and have been feeling better for the last year.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Be careful of this injury, or like in my case a mis-diagnosis.  Dr. Google can be your friend or enemy.  I thought I injured my piriformis from some speed work and hill repeats that were too soon in the training cycle.  Pain in the butt lasted for nearly a year till I tripped on a run and tore the tendon completely off the bone.  Turns out it was not piriformis but a partially (now fully) torn hamstring tendon.

That may be why stretching inflames the area.  Most of my research pointed to weak glutes as a cause of many of the hamstring related issues.  Squats, deadlifts and bridges are the main exercises to strengthen the glutes.  I find more and more references to weak glutes as a cause of issues lower in the kinetic chain such as knee, calf and achillies issues.  Keep in mind I am not a doctor nor a medical professional, just an injured runner like yourself.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Be careful of this injury, or like in my case a mis-diagnosis.  Dr. Google can be your friend or enemy.  I thought I injured my piriformis from some speed work and hill repeats that were too soon in the training cycle.  Pain in the butt lasted for nearly a year till I tripped on a run and tore the tendon completely off the bone.  Turns out it was not piriformis but a partially (now fully) torn hamstring tendon.

That may be why stretching inflames the area.  Most of my research pointed to weak glutes as a cause of many of the hamstring related issues.  Squats, deadlifts and bridges are the main exercises to strengthen the glutes.  I find more and more references to weak glutes as a cause of issues lower in the kinetic chain such as knee, calf and achillies issues.  Keep in mind I am not a doctor nor a medical professional, just an injured runner like yourself.

completely agree with the weak glutes as well.  My leg strengthening included lots of bridges and squats which I think have helped a lot.  Just finished a track workout today with no issues.  The last two years this workout was the beginning of the end for me as the tendon issue would flare up with any speed work.  Also, I added a hill workout once a week this spring and that has helped a lot with strength.  But, like anything, ease into it as an inflamed tendon (or piriformis) won't heal overnight

walkingahead

I injured my piraformis three weeks before my last marathon in September. It greatly affected my race. It has been fine since then, but I just went out and ran ten today and it flared up. My shoes aRe only about a month old so I don't think that's is. Does anyone have suggestions on how to help it heal and what to do to prevent this in the future?  Thank you

If it is caused by running, then stop running. Avoiding prolonged sitting until it heals can help.

I don't think changing shoes would help.