10K vs 5K race strategy (Read 838 times)

I find myself getting nervous about my next race. I have run several 5K's in my life (3 since I started running again in Feb.) I have been building up my mileage working toward a 10K. All of a sudden the race is around the corner, (The next weekend or two; haven't decided which race to do yet.) and I realized I have no idea how to "race" a 10K. I am nervous about going out too fast because of the excitement, but also don't know what I should try to do. Any advice for this very slow newbie would be much appreciated!!
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Debbie, I'm slow, also. To be honest, I don't really "race." I just start out SLOWLY and see how I feel. I STAY slow until the last couple of miles. Then, if I'm still feeling good, I pick up the pace a little. The last half mile, I pour it on as much as I can (maybe 10:00 miles, lol). You will be surprised at how much the crowds energize you, I think even more than during a 5K race. Just have fun and see how it goes. After you finish your first 10K, you can think about how you want to run differently during your next one. Good luck!!
        mentally divide the race in half... but not equally... like in the 5k I mentally divide it into 2 miles and the last 1.1. in the marathon I divided it into 20 and 6.2 the half is ... about 10 and 3... the idea I have is to measure my energy and divide it equally... Based on your traiining log I would suggest going out for the first 2 miles at your normal training pace ... then try picking it up just a bit for the next 3 miles... but save a bit.. and then run the last mile hard...
        JakeKnight

Interesting question. I'm bumping this in hopes some of the usual EP speed demons will chime in. I've run too many 5ks and not enough 10ks, but there are some coming up. I'd like some advice, too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Scout7

Run it slightly slower than your last 5k. When you hit the halfway point, see how you feel. If you've never done one, it will be a learning experience. Some things can't be explained on a message board, or in words; you have to experience them for yourself. Expect to hurt.
              ...I've run too many 5ks and not enough 10ks...
              I am in the same boat. I started running in 2001, and have done 27 5K's, but only three 10K's. My current 10K goal pace is what my 5K goal pace was back in 2001 - 2002. My strategy is to find as flat a race as possible, and run the goal pace (easier said then done.)

De-slacking in progress

I'm in the same boat- hope this boat is big enough. My first 10K is Labor Day. I haven't paid yet as I'm struggling with Piriformis issues right now, but I ran a 5K this past Saturday and the injury doesn't bother me running. My 10K is a very up and down hilly course. i can slow long run the distance easily in under one hour so i know i can do the "distance'. This 10k has been my year end race goal and I think if I dont do it, I'll stew all winter mad at myself. So I'm going to do it. It want to finish in 55:00 or less, but now I think since it's my first 10k I'm going to run just to finsh it and accomplish my goal of doing a 10k. I average 8:20 for 5K runs (new runner, still overweight) so if I run my easy pace of 9:30mm I should be able to do just fine in the 10K and get my shirt. It's just the finish time I want to achieve (55 min) But I might need to comprimise - who knows- I will possibly achieve both anyway.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Right on Hereford...

I'm no expert, but here's what I've found helps my pacing at various distances... At the start, and at frequent intervals during the race, ask yourself this: can I maintain this pace all the way to the finish line? If not, ease up slightly. If you feel you could maintain the pace beyond the finish line, run a little harder. Focus on how your body feels. For a maximum race effort, it should feel pretty easy at first, but it will become harder and harder to maintain your pace, until at the finish line, you'll feel that you couldn't have run one second longer at that pace. Of course, nobody runs a race that perfectly, but that's the idea.

Prince of Fatness

Interesting question. I'm bumping this in hopes some of the usual EP speed demons will chime in. I've run too many 5ks and not enough 10ks, but there are some coming up. I'd like some advice, too.
                    Sadly there aren't too many 10K's around my neck of the woods. I see that our 5K PR's are similar. If I were to race a 10K now I think I would try to run the first half at about 7:05 - 7:10 pace and then see how I feel. If you ran a 21 minute 5K I would think that you could do around 44 minutes for a 10K, no?

Not at it at all. 

JakeKnight

At the start, and at frequent intervals during the race, ask yourself this: can I maintain this pace all the way to the finish line? If not, ease up slightly. If you feel you could maintain the pace beyond the finish line, run a little harder.
                      My uneducated guess is that that's the main difference: that you have to find a maintainable pace. In a 5k, if you go out too hard and blow-up, you just have to hang on for a mile. In a 10-k, I'm guessing that's a lot harder to do. I can manage for a mle; for four miles, I'd be in trouble.
                      Sadly there aren't too many 10K's around my neck of the woods. I see that our 5K PR's are similar. If I were to race a 10K now I think I would try to run the first half at about 7:05 - 7:10 pace and then see how I feel. If you ran a 21 minute 5K I would think that you could do around 44 minutes for a 10K, no?
                      Apparently back in the day, 10-ks were the default race like 5-k's are now. I wish there were at least more of them nowadays. I think the basic thinking on that is that 5-k's are friendlier to the average runner. Yeah, not sure what I could do in a 10-k. My PR is a year and a half old, from a course in the Monkey Park, so its not real accurate, anyway. Next time I do one, I was planning to go out right at 7:10-7:15 and just cruise and see what happens. I'd like to at least get that down under 45:00, and then maybe try doing a couple really hard.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Prince of Fatness

Apparently back in the day, 10-ks were the default race like 5-k's are now. I wish there were at least more of them nowadays. I think the basic thinking on that is that 5-k's are friendlier to the average runner.
                        Around here it's either 5K's or 5 milers.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

Huh...I had a hard time finding a 5K for my requisite one a year. I am part of a group that has 8 10K's in a points series and I think 2 more 10K's that are not part of the series. Most of the 10K's are the SHORT run in the event. Plus there are a ton of 5K/10K combos in the area - just not on days I could do it. Next year I will probably do more of the longer events again but I think for overall learning to race 10K's might be the most valuable distance. You HAVE to learn to pace, but at the same time even a blowout is fairly manageable (compared to say a HM) so you can push yourself to find what your limits truly are. Plus you can put them in with hardly any disruption for your training schedule. They are just a good hard run. I learned a lot from doing the series. Much more than I expected. It helped me on my HM immensely.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Expect to hurt.
                            I think you meant to say " expect to hurt a lot", especially if you go out too fast... As other have stated, ease into the race and increase your pace based on how you feel. Pick it up at 4 miles and you'll pass a lot of runners. It'll hurt but not as much as if you blasted your first mile... In the 5k, you can get away with a faster first mile if you have plenty of endurance training. Not so much in a 10k. For my last 10k, I had a plan to hit Mile 1 in 6:20 (a bit under goal pace) then speed up. Well, my body had other ideas but least I could hold that pace. I pushed harder at 4 miles, dropping folks following me, then managed to pick it up more in the last mile, picking off a couple of runners, and then kick hard. I was glad of that "easy" first mile...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Nursing student running

Ok, make room for a dumb question. How many miles is a 10k? Confused
                              Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)

Right on Hereford...

Ok, make room for a dumb question. How many miles is a 10k? Confused
                                Google has a really cool feature: in any Google search box, just type "10 km in miles." You can even type in "half marathon in mi" or "64 ounces in liters" or "160 lb in stone," or any number of other conversions you want to see. The answer is 10 kilometers = 6.21371192 mi, by the way! Smile