Foam Roller vs Stick (Read 237 times)

DantheMan

I saw some older posts addressing each method. However, none more than 9 years about this issue, and I was interested in hearing what else is out there and what people's thoughts were. Thanks.

-Find your happy pace.

The Machine

Stick is very good. I would recommend it.

I don't have a stick but know that the foam roller helps.  It's hard to vote when you don't have experience unlike politics which is always disappointing.  But it is the season.

#artbydmcbride

The Stick is okay especially to reach spots it is hard to get at, but nothing beats rolling your hamstrings on a foam roller.

Runners run

kilkee

runktrun

The Stick is okay especially to reach spots it is hard to get at, but nothing beats rolling your hamstrings on a foam roller.

Except rolling your groin with The Stick.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

sluggo

John

I had one of those sticks. It seemed to be useless and I threw it away.

I have have a soft foam roller and I don't think much of it either. It is somewhere in the basement. I might find a use for it someday.

I LOVE my (hard) foam roller. It actually seems to be very useful. I use it as soon as possible after every run. I roll my IT Bands, my quads, the inside of my thighs, my butt, my hamstrings, and my calves. I often use is at other times of the day when I am feeling a tight. It is a dear friend.

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Coffee through my nose!

MrH

Not an either or question. Yes And. Both have their value.

This is 'murica.

And don't forget rolling a lacrosse ball on the foot sole, and the Thumbby.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Hobie1

I can't get the visual out of my head.  Time for a shower.

I like the foam roller just because you can use your body weight on it; the stick relies on your arm strength.

NorthNorthwest

I'm partial to using a stick, but I also use a foam roller for certain areas. I'll sometimes use the stick to find problem areas and then use a foam roller to really work it out.

I greatly prefer Pro-Tec's stick roller to "the stick". I generally love Pro-Tec's products. (for the record, I'm not compensated to promote their products...if I was, that would be awesome)

http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/57038/586624/Massage/Pro--Tec-Roller-Massager.html

kilkee

runktrun

I can't get the visual out of my head.  Time for a shower.

You're welcome.

Need some help?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

runmichigan

You're welcome.

Need some help?

What is the old saying?  It didn't happen without pictures, or in this case video.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

The foam roller has to be super hard for me to get real effectiveness out of it.  I had a blue Walmart version and I wore a groove in it.  I upgraded to a hard, white styrofoam one from a physical therapy website.

I have The Stick too and I like it for lower legs but that's about it.

Leah, mother of dogs

Both are good, but like danirizzo pointed out - body weight makes the foam roller hurt so good.