Are some vitamins bad for you? (Read 1094 times)

Thought this might be of interest. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7349980.stm I wonder how this affects the thinking on the benefits of anti-oxidants present in foods such as blueberries, green tea etc
    Paint your life in bright colours.

A Saucy Wench

Vitamins in foods work differently than vitamin supplements. Always have, always will. We keep trying to concentrate the benefits of real food into a pill and it just doesnt work. Food has micronutrients and phytochemicals that work together with the digestion process. Supplements dont. About time for Trent to chime in with Pollan's diet mantra. Wink

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

SMART Approach

I don't really buy what they are studying. I think if one is to take additonal antioxidants, balance is key. Why not study a formula with all these nutrients and some herbs combined. Not just some vitamins individually. My formulas I take have fat soluable, water soluable, food form and universal antioxidants. If you just take Vit. C or Vit. E, well I am not a fan of that. Take a formula that has multiple antioxidants and food form antioxidants from fruit and vegetable extraction. Many herbs also have a much more powerful antioxidant effect than C, E and beta cartotene. I take these antioxidant but with many others for synergy. And, BTW, eating blueberries, strawberries and other high antioxidant foods is ideal. Eat eat eat! My god don't let this study affect your eating of quality food.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I don't really buy what they are studying. I think if one is to take additonal antioxidants, balance is key.
          Actually, yeah...it's wel known andl documented that certain anti-oxidants are pro-oxidative in too high quantities. That said, it's typically so easy to get extra antioxidants from foods, and sooo much cheaper than pills. At Kroger's, you can get 100 bags of organic green tea on sale for $5 every couple of months. Thats just one example.
          I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy
          Lane

From what I've gathered on these forums, garlick is the way to go. Evil grin Big grin

Oh Mighty Wing

as always - everything in moderation.... i think we should make it our nations motto... oh wait it's way too anti-consumerism...
                I haven't really read the article but too much vitamins, especially the fat soluble ones can be harmful or even toxic in some cases, just like anything else. Plus our bodies have a better way of keeping a proper balance of vitamins if it is from food (in some cases). This is because some vitamins in food are in an inactive form and only get changed to an active form if the body decides to do so. It's possible multi vitamins are in active forms and in some cases the body will get too much of a good thing. This is just me throwing out some info. I don't know the exact chemical forms in the multivitamins (nor do I want to) or the way all of the vitamins are digested and absorbed.

I always assume it's better to get things from food because otherwise you just have expensive urine.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Another Passion

I always assume it's better to get things from food because otherwise you just have expensive urine.
                    Big grin Bottle, chill, add some fruit flavoring and recycle?

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

You should only take vitamins if your trying to solve a problem, its been proven that taking vitamins or supplements won't enhance performance in a direct manner, but if you have a cold and vitamin C prevents it from getting worse, then in an indirect way, its helping you. My favorite drink is chamomile tea with a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil.
                        its been proven that taking vitamins or supplements won't enhance performance in a direct manner
                        Did you just make that up.. or did someone forget to tell the thousands of doctors and scientists who find the very opposite year after year? ___ Tarnopolsky M, Neurology 52:854-857, 1999 study of 81 patients found that giving 10 g/day of creatine for five days, followed by 5 grams for another week, increases their muscle strength by about 10% ____ Hiatt WR, Regensteiner JG, Creager MA, Hirsch AT, Cooke JP, Olin JW, et al. Propionyl-L-carnitine improves exercise performance Am J Med . 2001;110(8):616-622. ____
                        I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy

SMART Approach

Tarnopolsky M, Neurology 52:854-857, 1999 study of 81 patients found that giving 10 g/day of creatine for five days, followed by 5 grams for another week, increases their muscle strength by about 10% ____ ____
                          Creatine increased my strength/power nearly 20%. I took it for 5 years while lifting. My bench press went from 250# to 310# in a fairly quick period of time. I hit the golf ball 20-30 yds further and hit 4-6 homeruns in softball each of those years. I went off creatine and have not hit a homerun Cry since nor do I hit the golf ball as far. And now I can bench about 240. BUT, while on creatine, I could not run without discomfort/achiness (because of extra weight) and my race times were much slower than now. Also, I know I race better/faster with high doses of herbal caffeine in me before races. Can't tell you exactly how much better but I know it is better - probably 10-15 sec. in 5K and higher in longer races.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com