Sweat much? (Read 1293 times)

Why do I seem to sweat more than others? I always have. When I come back from a run (if it's hot out) even my legs and arms/back of hands will have sweat. In my gym class, I sweat more than everyone in there. I always carry a sweat rag with me. I wear a cap while running, and if it's really bad, the "rain" drips from the bill of the cap. Can you say gross? My Dad's the same way. Whenever he comes to visit, he carrys a towel with him ( since it's so much more humid here , than were he's from ) I guess that's were I got the sweat rag idea - lol Anyone else sweat a lot? Or am I just a freak?

- Anya

You're not the only one. I am a really disgusting sweaty guy. So much so that I had myself checked by a docter to make sure that it wasn't diabetic related. All the tests came back fine and I figure my body just really likes to keep itself cool. Just make sure you watch your hydration. I need a little more liquid than the people I run with so I always keep my own supply.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm with you guys...I sweat like a horse. I always wear a hat. I actually developed eczema on my eyelid area when I first started running...apparently I am allergic to my own sweat, too. Roll eyes Confused I always run with a cotton hanky. In the Winter this mostly is for snot, but the rest of the year it's for sweat. I have run for an hour when it's 80º without fluids and lost 3#s, too. First time Eryn/backroadrunner ever ran with me I think she was truly astounded by the sweat running off of me--she barely glistened. I come home from Winter runs with my baselayer soaked.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If it's 90° or more and humid I sweat a lot. If I'm running inside, then as soon as I stop I start sweating like crazy. Otherwise, I only get mildly clammy, especially this time of year.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Greatest of All Time

I always run with a cotton hanky. In the Winter this mostly is for snot, but the rest of the year it's for sweat.
            That's attractive Big grin Even indoors, if I run hard for 60 minutes I can lose 4-5 lbs easy. And outdoors in extreme humidity...forget about it. When I first moved to Austin, Texas in 1998 I didn't have a car the first few months I was there, so I had to take the bus to campus. I lived a little bit less than 1 mile from the bus stop and I used to see if I could walk slow enough to not break a sweat. Even at 7:00 am in July it was impossible. Down there you can sweat sitting under a shade tree with a nice breeze. It's crazy hot. In the summers it was not unusual for me to shower 3 or 4 times a day.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              You are just a freak. And like a lot of us, you have more than the average number of sweat glands. I did a six mile run last month at 3 degrees F and still managed to sweat out three pounds of water. Tom
              jeffdonahue

I'm with you guys...I sweat like a horse. I always wear a hat. I actually developed eczema on my eyelid area when I first started running...apparently I am allergic to my own sweat, too. Roll eyes Confused I always run with a cotton hanky. In the Winter this mostly is for snot, but the rest of the year it's for sweat. I have run for an hour when it's 80º without fluids and lost 3#s, too. First time Eryn/backroadrunner ever ran with me I think she was truly astounded by the sweat running off of me--she barely glistened. I come home from Winter runs with my baselayer soaked.
                Hey Zoom-zoom, what did you do for the Eczema? I have been running for about 6 years, but this winter I have started to have a problem with my eyelids. They crack and peel and if I touch them it is sometimes painful. I am wondering if I might have developed eczema as well. FYI, I sweat horribly. I am actually at the point where I almost can not run at lunch because it takes me too long to stop sweating and cool down. If I put my suit on too soon, I just sweat right through the shirt - kind of gross to have sweat stains when heading back to the office.
                  I think I have a sweat problem too. No matter what the temperature I am soaked when I come back from a run. My hat is the worst!

~Sara
                  It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Hey Zoom-zoom, what did you do for the Eczema? I have been running for about 6 years, but this winter I have started to have a problem with my eyelids. They crack and peel and if I touch them it is sometimes painful. I am wondering if I might have developed eczema as well. FYI, I sweat horribly. I am actually at the point where I almost can not run at lunch because it takes me too long to stop sweating and cool down. If I put my suit on too soon, I just sweat right through the shirt - kind of gross to have sweat stains when heading back to the office.
                    I have had issues with eczema.... generally sweating seams to have been my best cure. If I don't work up a good (I mean every inch of my body spilling sweat) sweet at least 2x a week my arms near elbow and behind my knees flare up..... I also get it on my calfs and um... use your imagination... Things that helped me... inositol and choline... and sweating... when it starts getting bad I swear by the sauna! Not the steam room the sauna!
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I would love to get to the point at which I could run a TM to exhaustion. Until then, I'll have to be satisfied with drowning it.
                        have you tried Vitamin E??? or try something like almond oil applied directly to it. many times, it is allergy related so you may want to try looking into that.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey Zoom-zoom, what did you do for the Eczema? I have been running for about 6 years, but this winter I have started to have a problem with my eyelids. They crack and peel and if I touch them it is sometimes painful. I am wondering if I might have developed eczema as well.
                          My doctor had me use Cortaid cream. That helped. That's also when I started wearing wicking hats and carrying the cotton hanky. Before that I would try to wipe the sweat with the bottom of my wicking shirt and I think all it did was irritate my skin...and of course didn't absorb the sweat, either.

~ Sarah Kay

My doctor had me use Cortaid cream. That helped. That's also when I started wearing wicking hats and carrying the cotton hanky. Before that I would try to wipe the sweat with the bottom of my wicking shirt and I think all it did was irritate my skin...and of course didn't absorb the sweat, either.
                            I get these weird breakouts from it. My dermatologist told me to only wipe with something clean. Well, half way through a run, my rag ( aka hanky, I like that word better!) is mostly wet. NO matter how many times I turn it!! I used to use bandanas. But for Christmas, my Mom made me a bunch of pretty soft hankys for the road. Nice....

- Anya

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

What you should get from most people who already responded, some people sweat lots others don't. You probably have nothing to worry about. My PR in sweating is 10 1/4 lbs in 2 hours net, although I can't certify my gross because I took drinks from the drinking fountain. My guess is I took in at least 32 Oz water, so gross sweating Wink would be 12 1/4 (estimated).
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to use bandanas. But for Christmas, my Mom made me a bunch of pretty soft hankys for the road. Nice....
                                Yep, my "sweat rags" are 100% cotton bandanas. They work pretty well, but when I'm sweating hard (or snotting a lot in the winter) they get soaked pretty fast. It is yucky. I have a feeling when I run my marathon that I will have DH carry at least one extra on the sideline to hand to me when the first one gets too nasty.

~ Sarah Kay