When you go for your run, do you start running right away? (Read 1650 times)

Double IPA Please!

OR do you warm up by walking or shuffling first for a little bit and then start into your run? Which leads me to- How do you count that *warm up* time in your log? Do you count it towards your total time/mileage for that day? Or is it not counted? I have been counting my warm up time but logging it seperately. I'm afraid that if I lump it all together it brings my pace down. Is that just crazy? Anal? All of the above? WDYD?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

A Saucy Wench

I start running, but sloooowly my first mile is usually about 45 seconds slower than the rest of my run, the first quarter mile is probably 75 seconds slower. I log it as part of my run. Pace on a training run is of little importance unless it goes too fast. If I have a stamina session (i.e. tempo runs, pace run, progression) I'll still log it all as one run, but I will record the mile splits MTA: peeked at your log...did you know that instead of logging 3 workouts on one time, if you want to keep your w/u separate you can go in the interval section of the entry and set your 3 sections as 3 different intervals. Then you HAVE the data if you want it, but it is simpler probably. It would show up as one color on the chart though.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Double IPA Please!

Okay, thanks! Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Lazy idiot

I log my warmup/cooldown run/walks as separate workouts from my actual run. This way I get accurate pace information from the run itself, while still noting which days I included the extra half mile or so. Some days I do the warmup, other days not. For me, it depends on the route I take and where my "starting line" is. I need to get back to doing some form of warmup for every run, as I tend to feel better afterwards if I do this.

Tick tock

I start running right away, but it's probably about a half mile before I get up to my pace for that run...sometimes longer if it just ain't happening that day. It counts toward my total mileage/time for that day. I just know that my first mile will be slower and also have a lower average HR. I'm okay with that.
            jeffdonahue

I start running right away but usually takes me a mile to get warmed up so my pace is a little slwoer that first mile - maybe 20-25 seconds per mile slower. I do count it all towards my total mileage, though for my own sanity sake I will sometimes time myself on the last leg of my run to make sure that my normal pace was where I expect it to be (or even try to crank up that last mile to even out the slower first mile).

Half Fanatic #846

I'm 61, so I take it easier on myself Big grin. Depending on the length of the run, I warm up by walking progressively faster for 10-15 minutes (I do not count this walking as part of my run or show it in my log - but if I did, I would probably show it as "walking" crosstraining or a "warm up" type of run category). I wouldn't really care if it brings my average pace down - it would be cool to be faster than people think I am! Cool After my run, I cool down by walking progressively slower for 10-15 minutes, then stretching. Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I always do a 1/4 mile walking warmup, otherwise my legs are like lead and never really loosen up. I record all my time on my feet, but I keep very detailed notes on my log as far as time on each mile, etc. I have a separate website I track the runs only on. Just how I do things, but find something that works for you. Chris

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

This is werid. I DO count the warm up time on the treadmill, but I DON"T outside. I walk about 1/4 mile to my start run outside, and when I get there I start running right away. As far as the treadmill goes, I just hate that thing so f'n much, it just gets me off it sooner !

- Anya

mikeymike

I walk to the bottom of my hill (~100 meters) and start my watch when I start running. I stop my watch when I stop running. Warmups, cooldowns and recovery jogs all get counted as one run. I could care less about average pace for my training runs.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I walk at least 2-3 blocks before starting and after finishing, then only time and count the actual distance that I run.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Non ducor, duco.

I start running, but sloooowly my first mile is usually about 45 seconds slower than the rest of my run, the first quarter mile is probably 75 seconds slower. I log it as part of my run. Pace on a training run is of little importance unless it goes too fast. If I have a stamina session (i.e. tempo runs, pace run, progression) I'll still log it all as one run, but I will record the mile splits MTA: peeked at your log...did you know that instead of logging 3 workouts on one time, if you want to keep your w/u separate you can go in the interval section of the entry and set your 3 sections as 3 different intervals. Then you HAVE the data if you want it, but it is simpler probably. It would show up as one color on the chart though.
                          Oh, I need to do figure all this out. I hate putting a run in and it ends up looking slower because I had some warm-up and cool-down in there. It hurts my ego.
                            I count everything, though I do stop the watch when I'm crossing the street and have to stand there waiting for traffic, etc.
                            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I only count running time. I do very little walking before I get going, but do like a little bit of a walk after the end. If I take a mid-run walk break (which I try to do as little as possible), I don't count them either but will make a note of them in the notes section of the log.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I thought that I was one of the only ones that walked first! I learned that stretching cold muscles makes you more prone to injury. I only started running at age 50 so I'm not a spring chicken. I suffered a lot of injuries the first couple of years running until I settled on the routine of walking a half mile then stretching before I run. After my run, I walk at least another half mile for a cool down and then stretch again. If I'm racing, I do the same thing, but add a jog after my strectching and before the race begins. As for logging these, I count them separate as a walking entry of 1.0 mile

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"