I did it!!!!! (Read 530 times)

I ran my first marathon on Sunday!!!! for those that have read my other posts I had a goal of 3:40:00 then 2 1/2 weeks befor the race my knee gave out. I could not even walk. I went to the doc. and was told " you will not run your race you need to take at least 4 weeks off but go see the ortho." I lost it. All the work and dreaming about this day. I have not ran in a race in 10 years I gave them up because I had a coach that was all about 1st 2dn 3rd , to the point he would put your running friends against you. You were happy if you won but you lost your friends at the cost. I was happy when I tore my ACL during track season no more races. I though running was all about makeing the coach happy. After that I ran just for fun no more races. Untill I had the racing bug bite me. Back to the doc....Untill I could go to the ortho I did my x-training walked a mile every day worked up to 2. went to the orho who works with runners found out I have floating cart. that was rubbing my knee cap raw. After a shot and some filler I was given the go a head just this once to run my race. I will be back in March for surg. I could not sleep that night!!! that was on Thurs my race Sunday for the next few days I had some relife but some pain was still there. then Race day came. Mile one sore but at a good pace 4:00hrs mile 3 could not feel the knee pain ,started to make my move mile 5 caught up to 3:40 pace group I feel great mile 10 feel great make another move see the fam on the side lines this is great now caught up to 3:30 pace group. 1/2 marathon and marathon split mile 12 slow down still got more then 1/2 to go at this time formed a group of a few runners Charely he rocked Miles 13-19 pace at 3:30 feel great time for a gel mile 20- my knee gave out no waring just out 21-25 I limped my way was not going to stop!! as long as I jogged I was fine no pain in the knee but my butt hurt. 26 I picked up the pace a little all the school kids are there claping and says you can do it how can you not See my dad grab him and tell him to jog me through mom and hubby are there to grab me at the end. I finshed in 4:01 not bad for bad knee Smile today I can feel my legs!!! but I cannot wait for my next race I run for fun and rnow ace for myself and the fun and the chance to win and.... Big grin
    Freerunner

Awesome JOB! Way to stick with it! What an inspiration you are! Smile Good luck with your knee.

Now that was a bath...

Awesome. It's sad that a coach put you off running races, but great that you got that bug back!
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          Great job at getting out there and getting it done. Big grin You are fast!

Vim

Half Fanatic #846

WoW! Considering your injury, and pretty much a zero mileage taper, you rocked that race! Cool Think what you'll be able to do when your knee is okay!!! Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I don't think I would have the guts to cover 26.2 with a significant injury like that, you're one tough lady. If you come out of this without any serious physical degradation, that kind of determination and ability will take you a long way. Congrats and best of luck with the surgery and recovery!

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

What he ^ said. Congratulations and happy mending! Big grin

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice job! Now get that knee repaired, heal up, and get back out there! You have a PR to beat! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay