3rd 5k PR in 5 weeks (Read 1350 times)

Right on Hereford...

Thanks everyone I really appreciate hearing the congratuations!

I never really thought I'd hit 20 minutes this early in the season but my goal for fall is to go sub 20 because I'd really like to try out for my school's cross country team.

You should hit sub-20 this spring!

she runs like a girl

That's pretty impressive, especially the March 13th race!

This has me wondering … to what degree is running semi frequent 5Ks good training for running faster 5Ks, especially for runners with a good base, such as Kimmi. If no specific prior speedwork was done can one expect a reasonable progression? If so, I suspect a plateau would be reached quickly and more specific training or volume would be necessary for further improvement.

I'm curious because I'm targeting an April 11th 5K but can't decide what might be better training this Wednesday, a local weekly 5K series or an interval workout.

I wondered this as well Xhristopher. But I also have prior speedwork in my training.

I have found a huge improvement with my 5ks for several reasons such as: my fast training partner, my base and speed work training, my accidental peaking, the fact that Nobby tells me why I do these nutty workouts etc.

I use 5k races as tempos which is a workout I do pretty frequently anyway, but I found the most important thing I got from racing was the experience .  I forget who it was but someone once told me the best way to get good at 5ks is to run a lot of 5ks. And yeah the how to race was definitely a big thing.

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

SMART Approach

That's pretty impressive, especially the March 13th race!

This has me wondering … to what degree is running semi frequent 5Ks good training for running faster 5Ks, especially for runners with a good base, such as Kimmi. If no specific prior speedwork was done can one expect a reasonable progression? If so, I suspect a plateau would be reached quickly and more specific training or volume would be necessary for further improvement.

I'm curious because I'm targeting an April 11th 5K but can't decide what might be better training this Wednesday, a local weekly 5K series or an interval workout.

Good job Kimmi!

I don't think a 5K every week is ideal but once or twice per month is just fine just before race season and during race season. If you mix in longer races, then you need to make adjustments.  Race strategy is a big part of successful 5K racing but not ahead of fitness. You also need to get some training in to build your stamina and strength.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com