Ex-smoker starting a running routine - anyone else in this boat? (Read 1304 times)

Em

I feel quite silly writing about the fact that I just quit smoking and now I'm making every effort to begin running. It seems like a bit of a joke and I hope I do not offend anyone. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else quit smoking and began a successful running routine? I'd like to do a half marathon in six months. Is this realistic? Despite smoking I have remained prettty active through yoga and weight training. I tend to get really bored with cardio of any kind but like setting a route and attempting to walk/run my way through it. Does anyone have any tips of tricks I can follow? Thanks
    sluggo

John

I am glad you posted this. Kicking the smoking habit is very difficult and it's NO JOKE! I was fortunate ro have never learned to smoke in the first place but I am sure you will not be the first person to trade a smoking habit for a running habit. Start slow and short. Feel free to take walking breaks. Find other people to run with - maybe find a running club near your home. Schedule regular times to run with these people. Maybe just tell us how you are doing every few days in this message board. You can do it! John

John
      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

sluggo

John

I should have thought of this in the first place. Check out the ex-smokers group at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/exsmokersupport John

John
        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

My legs are killing me

Em, Welcome to the club. There are smokers and ex smokers in our community. You shouldn't feel silly. Your making a great decision to improve your life and I hope along the way you find running alot of fun! Join the ex smokers support group here. The group has people there that will help support you on your road to quitting.
            I put my Marlboro Reds down on November 12, 1975 after around 12 yrs of smoking. I replaced that very negative habit with running. It is now over 31 yrs later and my running habit--positive addiction-- has resulted in me running more than 65,000 miles. I am greatful--for sure. Every time I see someone with a cigarette I thank the Great Runner that I was able to put them down. I wish you well. When I was smoking probably more than 70% of folks smoked. Now it is down to around 20%--still too high. Walk--slog (slow jog) skip, do pushups when you have a craving. Be careful--running can become habit forming. Nick
              EM, Congrats on not smoking anymore. My wife and I stopped last year when we found out that she was pregnant. shortly after that I had knee surgery and now I have been addicted to running for about 4 months. I no longer have the cravings but everynow and then my wife does. The only advice that I can give that I did not follow is don't replace the smokes with food. When I quit I went from about 155 to 190 and now it is hard as crap to lose it. Good luck and stay strong! Jeremy
              2009 Goals...:
              -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                Congrats! I'm almost at the end of my first year of running after kicking a 28 year smoking habit. Welcome to running! Like some others said, start easy and have fun!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jfa

Way to Go EM !!! You will have a MUCH better life without those nasty things. Jan 20th will be 2 years since I quit and I am SOOO happy I did. I started walking to fill in large chunks of non-smoking time.After about a year of that,with help from the C25k,I became a runner! Big grin Now you can probably skip alot of walking,and go straight to slow running.The trick is to use the excercise as both a way to fill time and open up those lungs!! Good Luck and Don't give up!!!!! Cool

I quit smoking when my wife got pregnant. I always told her that was when I'd quit. I ran about 10 yrs prior, and smoked during this more sedentary period. Started running again because I'm vain, and didn't want to gain any weight. My daughter is now six months old and I havent smoked since she was a plus sign on the bathroom counter, and I weigh less now than I did then. Ran 1000k last year, and hope for 1000miles this year. Also hope to try tri's this year.

Another Passion

I quit smoking 01/28/02 and started running in 2005 earnestly. I should have started when I quit as I think it would have helped with the whole quitting process and kept me from cheating, which I did for some time. Everyone elses' posts have you pretty well covered... slow and steady and keep at it. Slowly increase your mileage over time. If you push your mileage or pace and it hurts (causes pain), back off. Congratulations on your decision to quit and start running, Em! You'll find A LOT of support here! You should have no trouble in your half goal, just try and remain consistent. Wink

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Don't feel silly. I have had a much easier time getting into a good running routine than I am having quiting smoking- in fact I have been running regularly for about 6 months and I finally got zyban a couple of weeks ago and my official quit date is tomorrow. It isn't silly to quit smoking and start running, it is however ridiculous to do a 6 mile run and have a cigarette after............ The couch to 5K plan is an awesome plan to get you started running. There is a podcast for it too so you don't have to time yourself- it just tells you when to run and when to walk. If you follow this plan you will be able to run 30 min straight by the end of 9 weeks. Good luck!
                          congratulations em. its the best decision you could ever make. i took up running in late 2002 to help me quite smoking. i was off and on them for a while even when running but finally managed it in feb 2004. i haven't had a single cigarette since. i have on the other hand run countless races including 2 marathons and an ironman. i couldn't have done that while still smoking!

Hawt and sexy

I smoked for about 15 years, maybe longer. I run now. Running is like crack. I just replaced one habit with another.

I'm touching your pants.

PWL

Has been

Congratulations of the quitting. I myself quit, then went right into marathon training and ran a marathon 8 months later. So I think your 6 month half marathon goal is feasible. Good luck! Smile

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I smoked for about 15 years, maybe longer. I run now. Running is like crack. I just replaced one habit with another.
                                LOL.....!! " Running is the NEW Crack" would get my vote for a billboard. Smokefree since 1992 from a 1.5 pack a day habit. Couldn't afford it then at $1.85 a pack, could not even imagine it now. I quit cold turkey after a night of partying and knew that the first puff would send me to the toilet to unleash the beast from the night before. I remember saying to myself " I really don't want to see how much I drank and ate last night in the toilet, so I think I will NOT smoke today to save myself a ride on the porcelain bus" and never smoked another cigarette. Aside from the day that I started Couch to 5K, it was the best day of my life. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"