Question on Meal Replacement Bars. (Read 986 times)

arotrame

I'm fat. I'm facing the facts but I'm also trying to deal with it in a positive way. I've been running for a year and half and would say that it has finally become routine for me to go out and do 3-5 miles. I run/walk and usually do a 4/1 split. What I'm trying to do it start eating healthy and using food more as a fuel than just something I like to do. First habit I'm trying to change is eating breakfast. Lately I've been grabbing a Special K meal bar, like the one in the link below, and eating it for breakfast while I drive to work. http://www.specialk.com/?id=challenge (click on the link on the page to see the nutritional content) A. Is it healthy? B. Nutritionally, am I doing the right thing for my body in the morning by eating it?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Meal Replacement Bars
      There is no such thing. Meals cannot be replaced by "nutritional" bars.

The Greatest of All Time

There is no such thing. Meals cannot be replaced by "nutritional" bars.
        Here we go again... Big grin
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From Pollan: 1. Eat food. Don't eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. 2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. 3. Especially avoid food products containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable c) more than five in number 4. Get out of the supermarket whenever possible. 5. Pay more, eat less. 6. Eat mostly plants, especially leaves. 7. Eat more like the French. Or the Japanese. Or the Italians. Or the Greeks. 8. Cook. And if you can, plant a garden. 9. Eat like an omnivore. Or : eat food, not too much, mostly plants. A breakfast bar is not food, it is processed foodlike stuff. And : if your goal is to lose weight, there is no need to "fuel" your run. The fat that we all have on us will fuel most runs up to a reasonably high intensity.

The Greatest of All Time

I agree with everything Trent wrote, especially about eating like the French or Japanese. EAT LESS. Smaller portions is the key. FWIW, About 70-75% of my daily calories come from milk, protein shakes or bars and they do well by me. I do take supplements though (multivitamin, fish oil, zinc, magnesium, vit c & e after runs, etc).
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Have you ever noticed how much sugar thaose breakfast bars have?? If I gave one of those things to my 2 year old twins, I reckon they'd be bouncing off the walls for the whole day from the sugar rush. My suggestion is porridge for breakfast (you guys call it oatmeal)...and Trent, I'm getting in before you on this one.....I don't know what steel cut oats are but oatmeal is great. Throw in some honey, peaches, prunes and even banana and voila.....instant healthy, filling and energy-giving brekky. Chuck out the bars....all that processed stuff is crap.

Top 'O the World!

Totally agree w/Trent.....& if you're goal is portability, try things like: apples, raisins, nuts, dried fruit (in limited quantities), etc.....homemade oatmeal cookies may even be more nutritional than said bars.... try chatting w/this group for other ideas: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/jiggly_joggers/Forum
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  1. Eat food. Don't eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.
                  But what about Pop Tarts, the pre-race wonder food?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But what about Pop Tarts, the pre-race wonder food?
                    Pop Tarts are the wonder pre-race energy foodlike substance. They are second only to Star crunch.
                    I don't know what steel cut oats are
                    Slow-cooking oats (i.e., not instant) can be either rolled or steel cut. Most of what we eat and know in this country is/are rolled oats. With rolled oats, the grain is steamed until it is soft (but not cooked) and it is pressed between two rollers and made flat. That makes it cook more quickly and gives it a better mouthfeel than whole grain. Steel cut oats runs the grain through an apparatus that basically cuts each grain into littler bits. These retain more of the oats' original chewiness and texture, but they cook relatively quickly like the rolled oats. I prefer the steel cut oats. They are also fairly popular on the British Isles and can be bought at most health food stores that have bulk grains and beans. To cook either, the easiest way to do it is to have one part grain to 4ish parts water. You can use a crock pot, an oven or a cast iron pot. Heat the water to boiling. Add the oats with perhaps a touch of salt. Heat back to boiling and keep it hot for about 45 minutes. It takes very little work. I usually heat mine in the cast iron pot with a lid and then stick it in the oven set to 300 degrees and then turned off. I do this before my run and come home to fabulous oats.

Member Since 2008

Arotrame, keep in mind, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it gets your metabolism started. Always eat a good healthy breakfast. If you run in the morning, eat after the run.

A Saucy Wench

skipping the rest of it...as someone who has lost weight Meal replacement bars dont do much to satisfy your hunger, they have a lot of sugar so they tend to spike your blood sugar and make you more hungry. There are lots of fast breakfast options that are sooooo much more satisfying. oats are good and omelets can be made in 5 minutes (all the veggies pre chopped in baggies in the freezer) If you MUST eat in the car there are better options but ds is screaming so I bbl

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A good way to have a portable breakfast is to simply put it in the blender and bring it with you in a travel mug. Here's my favorite smoothie: 1 Cup vanilla rice milk (skim milk works too, but I like the flavor more with rice milk) 1 Cup frozen mixed berries 1/3 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt 1/3 cup hemp plus granola (less fat & sugar than many other granolas) Don't worry, the granola gets powdered in the blender, so there are no chunks. Total: 355 Calories and all the components of a healthy breakfast! 1 Scoop of vanilla whey protein powder makes the texture smoother but adds a lot of calories. 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut or almond butter adds to the taste and provides natural protein, though at the cost of some more calories. I use those last 2 options when I'm doing more mileage.

-------------------------------------
                          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

finney

Resident pinniped

I agree with Trent on this one. Those breakfast bars are garbage and honestly, do you think you're not going to be starving again in an hour on only 100 calories of quick-burning sugars? There are SO many better things to eat for breakfast. If you're in a hurry whipping up something like what Nate described is a great idea. Or even some yogurt and some granola (healthy granola, not a sugar packed pre-packaged bar) before you run out the door is better than a Special K bar.
                            arotrame

I guess the answer to my questions is an overwhemingly NO! I was relying on the bars quite a bit and was eating them pretty frequently but now I've found a Kashi and eating a healthy cereal in the morning is a better option than a prepackaged bar!