First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

Birdwell

There's no reason on earth he should have kept your license. If I were you I'd be on the phone first thing in the morning talking to his supervisor. His name and badge number should be on the citation. There's something that doesn't smell right about the whole thing.

MTA: talked with a cop friend. He said sometimes they'll take the license as a bond, and return it in court. he said it wasn't very common, but it was an option.

+1 Who runs with their license. That's what your RoadID is for!

Weirdest story ever. Who runs with their drivers license?

Runners run

TJoseph

Weirdest story ever. Who runs with their drivers license?

I ran with my driver's license for years until recently when I bought a RoadID.  I didn't want to be a John Doe on the side of the road if I got hit by a car.

Doesn't sound right to me.  Why would he keep your license?  Could you have out ran him?    This is why you need headphones.  If you had headphones on, you could have tried to ditch him.  If he caught you, tell him you couldn't hear him.

kcam

Admittedly not knowing the full details of this but not only 'who runs with their driver's license' but also who would willingly offer it  up while running?  "Sorry occifer, but I don't carry my driver's license when I run."

TJoseph

Admittedly not knowing the full details of this but not only 'who runs with their driver's license' but also who would willingly offer it  up while running?  "Sorry occifer, but I don't carry my driver's license when I run."

Until I read this thread, it would not have occured to me that they may not return it.  I probably would have handed it over to him like the OP did.

MTA:  It seems unlikely that they can suspend your license for running on a railroad right of way.  Couldn't you just go down to the DMV and get a replacement license if the officer doesn't return it?

Sounds like an upsetting thing to happen, but if I were you I would just pay the ticket. They definitely should post warnings if you aren't supposed to be running there, but sadly, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

This has nothing to do with "ignorance of the law." Angry What it has to do with is a bad judgment call by the cop, and I'm mad as  hell about it.  I'm getting a lawyer for sure!!!!!!!  I am not going to put up with this BS!!!!!!  My advice to anybody looking to visit Chicago is don't.  This kind of BS, truly demonstrates what kind of town it really is.  And yes, I was born and raised in this lousy hell hole.  Angry

jules2

What a strange country you live in, with all your drug and firearms problems you'd think the cops would have something better to do especially when you think how much the whole charade will cost what with police and court time.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

L Train

This has nothing to do with "ignorance of the law." Angry What it has to do with is a bad judgment call by the cop, and I'm mad as  hell about it.  I'm getting a lawyer for sure!!!!!!!  I am not going to put up with this BS!!!!!!  My advice to anybody looking to visit Chicago is don't.  This kind of BS, truly demonstrates what kind of town it really is.  And yes, I was born and raised in this lousy hell hole.  Angry

Now this is spoken like a Cards fan.  Where's WG  when we need her?

Indeed, running with a license?  I often don't even drive with one :-)   I've been pulled over before, but I'm in their system...

Try not to get so upset about it.  Call it "his weakness, not yours".  He could have let you off with a warning, granted, but there is no need to get too upset about it.  Getting upset won't do a dang bit of good.   ---In fact it might only make you want to get a lawyer, which would be a terrible idea because a lawyer isn't cheap! (Probably will charge you 350-450 bucks if they go to court with you.)  Wait a minute--You live in Chicago... They may charge you 550.00.  :-)  

I'm being serious, just flop your phone book open, there are over 100 pages of lawyers in the big city phone books, it will probably flop right open to "Lawyers" on its own!  Pick one at random, then ask him:  "How much to represent me in court for a ticket?"   It will be alot of $$$$, and not worth it.  Even if you win, you just made a lawyer richer, so again, best to suck it up, forget about the overzealous cop, and move on....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Prince of Fatness

Indeed, running with a license?  I often don't even drive with one :-)   I've been pulled over before, but I'm in their system...

Don't get caught driving without a license in NJ.  They couldn't give a rat's ass if you are in the system.  Pay the man, that's what they care about.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

you'd think the cops would have something better to do

This was a transit "cop"; this was probably the most excitement he had had in weeks.

+1 to Finn.  It's all about the revenue.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!   This morning while running parallel with the train tracks at more than a comfortable distance, I heard a the quick chirp of a siren behind me (I don't listen to music while running) Thus I stopped immediately and turned around to see a Ford Crown Victoria cruiser, with a Metra Cop (Chicagoland's railroad cops) behind the wheel.  I had no clue what the problem was.  He told me that I was running next to the tracks.  (You can see my path which was traced by my GPS watch in the link below.  He pulled me over right before mile 4)  I thought he'd just cut me some slack after that and warn me, since I had no clue I was violating Metra rules.  But to my surprise he asked for my drivers license and handed me a citation.  I just sat there with a stunned look on my face.  Yes I was running parallel with the tracks but still I was 10 to 15 feet away from them too.  And never did I feel in danger of a train possibly hitting me.  . Now I'm actually stuck with going to court because of this revenue collector Angry at the end of the month.  If any Chicagoland lawyers would like to volunteer and get me the justice I deserve, please contact me here as soon as possible.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/838ad724d2044a5a87f9ac2f80143fb3/workouts/f2af62c988174573b9b627faddd58b12/map

Dude, it's really simple. Let me break it down for you.

He gave you a ticket because of that Cardinals ball cap you were wearing. If you want the judge to dismiss this mess you had better show up to court wearing an expensive Cubs jersey.

Kalsarikännit

Now this is spoken like a Cards fan.  Where's WG  when we need her?

Good morning, sunshine.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

You sound like an idiot. Pay the money and quit whining.

MTA:  To prevent this from happening again you should move. Very, very far away.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart