First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

Clearly, Red Bird should appear in court in a blue blazer with brass buttons.

And dress paints.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yeah from my limited experience it will be a lot about the judge.  Hopefully he is a runner.  The only person who is really going to do much in this case will be you.  The Lawyer is going to walk in doing minimal work and the prosecutor is going to have done a lot less.  Most likely not even having looked at your case until court.  All three of these people will buddie around leaving you feeling like a complete stranger.

In other words: you'll be railroaded.  RAILROADED!  Get it?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Hey Berner, is this an instance where his lawyer could contact the prosecutor and see if they can work out a deal ahead of the court date?  Seems like it'd take less effort and lawyer-time than full-on court preparation, with the primary goal being to reduce the offense to something non-criminal (e.g. violation or somesuch).

-- Dick LeBeau

Kalsarikännit

Make sure you tip your bartender.

That ticket might be good enough to drive on, but it isn't good enough to get a drink with.  Picture I.D. or go thirsty.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

---Do they even have 'prosecutors' for this type of case?

---I have this image in my head of only the judge, the plaintiff, and the Metra traffic cop who issued the citation being the only active folks during the procedure?  (Similar to when you go to traffic court, it is just you, the Judge, and the Cop only? (and your lawyer if you get one?)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Prosecutors love wacky humor. Wear this to court, what could go wrong?

Hoodoo Guru

"The cops took my sneakers ..."

No sense compounding a trespass with a suicide I guess.

The tangents are moot.

Hey Berner, is this an instance where his lawyer could contact the prosecutor and see if they can work out a deal ahead of the court date?  Seems like it'd take less effort and lawyer-time than full-on court preparation, with the primary goal being to reduce the offense to something non-criminal (e.g. violation or somesuch).

Yes, that is a possibility. Best case, the prosecutor will just drop the charge. Maybe change it to a (non-criminal) violation. Less ideal, but still good, the prosecutor might agree to supervision ahead of time. Any of these would result in a clean record at the end of the day, and probably prevent Red Bird from having to appear in court. This is why you hire a lawyer. You can't get these outcomes on your own.

---Do they even have 'prosecutors' for this type of case?

---I have this image in my head of only the judge, the plaintiff, and the Metra traffic cop who issued the citation being the only active folks during the procedure?  (Similar to when you go to traffic court, it is just you, the Judge, and the Cop only? (and your lawyer if you get one?)

Yes there is a prosecutor. He is the lawyer for the state, since the state brings the charges in a criminal matter. You keep thinking this is like traffic court. Its not. The cop probably won't be there since the first hearing is just the arrainment, not the trial. The copy only has to show up for the trial, which only occurs later if Red Bird enters a plea.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

#artbydmcbride

We have a tradition here in Southern California involving the path near the trains......

http://www.moonamtrak.org/

Runners run

Hoodoo Guru

We have a tradition here in Southern California involving the path near the trains......

A nice family outing, evidenced by the mom holding up the baby.

The tangents are moot.

Kalsarikännit

"The cops took my sneakers ..."

No sense compounding a trespass with a suicide I guess.

Think of the life altering discoveries that Mikey would have made if he had escaped without those sneakers.   Never again would he heel strike.  He could kiss injuries goodbye. He would spend his days in harmony with the Tarahuma, living on nothing but chia seeds.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Love the website's disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Attending this event may be hazardous due to the large concentration of silly people, cars, motorcycles, motorhomes, concrete vehicle wheel-stops, potholes & cracks in the road & parking-lots and dangerous pets. Everyone present is responsible for their own actions. If you trip on something, or hurt yourself, you alone are responsible. There is no one to sue. No one either promotes this nor charges admission. If you do come, act safely! If you're accident prone, please don't come, go somewhere else where you'll be safer. Neither Mugs Away Saloon, The City of Laguna Niguel nor Amtrak, nor Metrolink are responsible for this event, nor for assuring your safety. The City & the railroad would rather you didn't bother coming to this event. No one is carrying public liability insurance for this. Besides, would any insurance underwriter insure an event called, "Mooning Amtrak"?

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

LIVE on truTV April 30th

vs    =

===:

Can't miss this show. I'd love to attend in person. But, I hear that tickets are sold out

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

--- Well, I dread the entirety of the City of Chicago, so the fact you only dread the loop is a plus. Big grin

--- And I have to ask, (so I can dread it more, lol), just how much would it cost to park in downtown Chicago for a day?  Just curious.  (And I will disclose that I am originally from the midwest.  The idea of 'paying money' to park in a parking space, or to drive on a street or to cross a bridge is foreign to us)...

The cost of parking downtown just keeps getting more insane.  What really screwed it up is Mayor Daley had the bright idea of selling all of Chicago's parking meters to a company.  Since that happened, Chicago has the honor of inheriting the most expensive parking meters in America. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/27/chicago-parking-meter-rat_0_n_2370192.html And you're still lucky if you can find a meter in the Loop.   Even our new mayor Rahm Emanuel is upset about Daley's bad move.  I'm going to rely on the dreaded Metra train to get there.  Although I am tempted to make the 14 mile trip on my bicycle or take my motorcycle there.  I did find a garage who parked my motorcycle for less $$$ since it doesn't take up hardly any space.

LIVE on truTV April 30th

Can't miss this show. I'd love to attend in person. But, I hear that tickets are sold out

In case there are no cameras, I'll do some sketches in addition to tweeting.  I've been working on my artistic skills.