First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

Don't get caught driving without a license in NJ.  They couldn't give a rat's ass if you are in the system.  Pay the man, that's what they care about.

All I can say about NJ, NY, Chicago, any big metro area like that...  Do you really have true FREEDOM when you live in a big city?

-- Aren't you at the mercy of everyone else all the time?  The rat race, the heavy traffic, the noise if you live in a complex, the fines if you park on the wrong spot, more fines if you run in the wrong spot,  pay money to drive over a bridge,  pay even more money just to park...  You can't own a gun but all the criminals do, If you die in the street, folks will merely step over you and keep moving, etc etc?  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Prince of Fatness

Dude I do not live in the big city, it is actually a rural area where I am (the pic in my profile is a couple of miles from home).

I do however have the privilege of subsidizing the big city.

Not at it at all. 

Finn, why are all those trees dead?  Chemical spill? Big grin

Just kidding.  Winter, I know.  And it really is nice scenery where you live.

I forget sometimes that most of NJ is rural.  Folks like me who travel through forget that sometimes. All I usually see of NJ is only Atlantic City, and the NJ Turnpike leading into NYC (where you 'stop' on the Freeway every 6 miles to throw coins in a chute, and a 'value meal' at the only exits costs 9 bucks, highway robbery!)  Oh, and yes, I did get out my first time in NJ and start pumping my own gas to fill up.  Some guy starts yelling at me, but his english was not so good, so I basically ignored him for a bit.  Turns out he was telling me "You can't pump gas, that's my job!  Get back in your car!)  Okay, got it.  NJ won't let you pump your own gas. Joking  No need to blow a vein and act like the world was ending simply because I was pumping some gas!

The keeping the license part bugs me. That's the only photo ID I have--I use it at the bank, at the beer store (when I'm lucky enough to still get carded), etc.  It's not just for driving!

Kalsarikännit

All I can say about NJ, NY, Chicago, any big metro area like that...  Do you really have true FREEDOM when you live in a big city?

I haven't owned a car in seventeen years. I don't need one. Everything I could possibly need is right outside my door. How is that for freedom?  I can go on about the things I have, but I would be here all day. A good chunk of this country lives in the middle of strip malls, cookie-cutter houses that they fill with an ungodly amount of junk, no access to amazing art and architecture (not that they notice this missing), and culinary diversity such as Taco Bell and Olive Garden. It is pointless to explain why a person would live in an urban setting. Most people wouldn't get it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

I haven't owned a car in seventeen years. I don't need one. Everything I could possibly need is right outside my door. How is that for freedom?  I can go on about the things I have, but I would be here all day. A good chunk of this country lives in the middle of strip malls, cookie-cutter houses that they fill with an ungodly amount of junk, no access to amazing art and architecture (not that they notice this missing), and culinary diversity such as Taco Bell and Olive Garden. It is pointless to explain why a person would live in an urban setting. Most people wouldn't get it.

Hey my house is not filled with a lot of junk!  Lots of beer maybe, but not junk.

Personally I do not knock people who like the city, it's just not my thing.  I hate crowds for one thing (go figure that I live in the most densely populated state).

What I like is having a yard that I can take care of.  I like my garden.  That is my sanctuary.  I do not consider it work to be outside taking care of things.  Different strokes for different folks.

Not at it at all. 

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

A citation, in IL, is a valid form of proof of driving priveledges. It carries the license number and from that the officer can run warrants and check on the status of the license.

The whole thing stinks, and I would imagine a good attitude in court would go a long way to keeping the fine in check.

Don't get caught driving without a license in NJ.  They couldn't give a rat's ass if you are in the system.  Pay the man, that's what they care about.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

We're in a smallish town right now (Athens, GA) while my wife finishes school. It's nice, the people are lovely, but I'm counting the seconds until we pack up and head for Seattle. I'm completely over having to drive just to buy a gallon of milk or hearing people talk about mass transit -- or even installing proper sidewalks -- like it's a communist conspiracy.

For me, not having a car would be lack of freedom as well, because I LOVE to drive.  And fast.  Amazing I don't get more tickets. :-)

I too like the yard to maintain, and the garden in the back yard to work on as well so that I can make a "cuke and mater" only salad.  To some people "running is work", not pleasure.  and to some folks "taking care of a yard is work", not pleasurable.  For me, both are pleasurable.  I prefer solitide over crowds,but I understand that many people love the energy of the city.  I think it is indeed different strokes for different folks and not that one location is better than the other.  Just depends on what an individual prefers.  I just can't do it personally, but I do understand to at least some degree.  ---There are alot of Chi, NYC, and Big City natives living here in Virginia Beach because they are stationed in the Navy also, and even though VA Beach offers alot, they tell me "This place is BORING!" And they can't wait to get back to the city!  So I do understand at least somewhat... :-)

---Oh, and to the Chicago poster...  Indeed, Carrying a license while running, is that required?  What would have happened had you not shown him any ID?  (Would they have taken you in to the station to verify IDand all that hassle, just for running?)

Village people

It is pointless to explain why a person would live in an urban setting. Most people wouldn't get it.

I can see the attraction to living in an urban area. I live in a small town on a 6acre piece of land and while I enjoy the peace, the trade off is having to drive 15-20 minutes for a quart of milk. Being able to walk or take to go train is a nice freedom. If I didn't have a gaggle of kids, I would live in a city.

Resident Historian

Ridiculous that you'd get ticketed.  

NFW would I carry a driver's license while running, and NFW would I give it to a Transit Cop.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

xhristopher

I'm getting a lawyer for sure!!!!!!!  

In other words you want to pay $2500 bucks to attempt to avoid a $250 citation?

---Oh, and to the Chicago poster...  Indeed, Carrying a license while running, is that required?  What would have happened had you not shown him any ID?  (Would they have taken you in to the station to verify IDand all that hassle, just for running?)

I'm curious about this, too. AFAIK you're not legally required to carry ID anywhere in the United States (if you're a U.S. citizen). On the other hand, a cop with discretion either to cite or arrest can make life difficult.

I carry an ID (and my insurance card) when I run because I don't want to be an anonymous piece of meat laying on the side of the road if something goes wrong. Guess I should get one of those Road ID things.

Feeling the growl again

Different strokes for different folks.

People who don't like the big city should not live there, and big city people should stay living there.  It's as simple as that.  People prioritize different things and everyone will be happier if they stay in their preferred environment.  It's quite self-righteous to look down one's nose at people who choose to seek out different things or experiences in their lives.  I'm glad some people like big cities because it leaves more room for me.  Smile

Freedom can be defined in different ways.  I have my own biases but by and large I do not look down on people who define it differently.

Now I'm off to fix a tractor tire so I can plow the garden(s), work on the new shooting backstop behind the house, and let my dogs cover a few miles enjoying the freedom of the many acres that big dogs need.  That's my idea of freedom.  YMMV, and it doesn't bother me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Hey WG, I am brewing a 5 gallon batch of beer out in my garage tomorrow.  Can you do that?  Maybe I should call it Cookie Cutter Ale.

Heh.

Oh and this..... Wink

Not at it at all.