First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

My belief in this story being factual has increased to 23%.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

L Train

Community service, Redbird parading around Wrigley in these.

L Train

MTA: Dekinger

Those'll be a hit in the Cook County Jail.

....  The first hearing is the arraignment, not the trial.  The purpose of the arraignment is for the accused (Red Bird) to enter a plea.  Not to explain the case, show pictures, beg or plead, or get chummy with the judge.  Basically the only thing you get to do is enter a plea of Guilty, Innocent, or make a special plea, like a request for Supervision.

huh, I thought today was only the arraignment.

Maybe I don't understand the legal system and what happened today, because I'm sure that Berner wouldn't have steered us wrong.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Kalsarikännit

Are you running Quebec City in those or are they for après jog?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I only wish not 1% of it was real.  Given all the bull I went through, it almost feels surreal.  At least anybody who read this thread will most probably never have to go through the same crap.  From what I witnessed in court the freaking Metra police dragged in other people for trespassing too.  To supposedly prevent cases of sabotage to the Metra line.  What's the point?  You couldn't make those trains any worse to begin with.

L Train

Are you running Quebec City in those or are they for après jog?

Eff the jog.  I'm wearing them to tour all of the historic sites.

Just to review, a prediction I made a couple weeks ago:

"""My prediction:

Redbird gets a Lawyer:  Guilty, but only a $200.00(ish) fine.

Redbird with no Lawyer:  Guilty, but only a $200.00(ish) fine."""

Man, I was close!  At $194.00, I was $6.00 off.    I'll preach it forever, but I honestly think lawyers in such minor cases as these do absolutely 0 good.

So in conclusion, Honestly Redbird, I was hoping you'd get off and found 'not guilty' because I think it was a little bit of over application of the law.  You meant no harm and you know it.  ---But you live in Chicago:  A city so incredibly in debt that they will find any way they can to bring in the cash.  

All I can say is "Put it in the past" now Redbird!  "Don't get angry about what you cannot control", it will do no good and life is too short for that stuff.  Again, this event may tick you off some, but similar things happen to just about all of us at some point.  Other than the 194 bucks you are out, this thing should not affect your future career intentions in any way.  Time to move on.   ((((I am really going to miss this thread though, it was a good one))))  Cry  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Very astounded by the community service. If you had a positive contrite attitude and explained you were merely running and the photo supports you were dressesd as a runner, why did you get community service. The judge should have chalked this up to a pure accident and the court costs paid.

Are we missing part of the story here?

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Feeling the growl again

If safety/non-interference with the trains were their primary concern, there would be better marking/signage.  Lacking such, this seems a convenient "tax" to generate revenue.

In many places, you can't even get the authorities to enforce trespassing laws.

As for community service, I'm curious on the reasoning there.  Could it be because you had the gaul to use their time fighting it rather than just paying the fine expediently?  This seems awfully severe for a trespassing case lacking any damage or malicious intent.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Outside Lane

... why did you get community service....

Cardinals fan....denim shorts...do we need to know anything more?

See how they run...

Very astounded by the community service. If you had a positive contrite attitude and explained you were merely running and the photo supports you were dressesd as a runner, why did you get community service. The judge should have chalked this up to a pure accident and the court costs paid.

Is this their way of recruiting for trail building crews - or something similar?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Lacking such, this seems a convenient "tax" to generate revenue.

Do you think the city/state/transit authority actually made money on Red Bird's $194 court fee?

And, Red Bird, what was the actual verdict? Were the charges suspended and you had to pay the $194 + potential community service to have it disappear? Or did you plead guilty? The RA community needs to know these things!

Runners run

Shit Angry The cop even had to take a picture of me running near the tracks.  Which is supposedly trespassing even though I never had any clue.  My lawyer told me how there was no defeating the picture.  That's not to say he didn't try.  Thus I got screwed for $194 of supposed court costs Roll eyes And I believe I have to do 20 hours of community service now.

How exactly does this photo change anything? Wasn't your arguement that you WERE running there but did NOT KNOW that it was not allowed? In this case it seems like the photo just confirms what you said you were doing. What are we missing?