First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The lawyer was going to try to fight it by saying that it wasn't RedBird on the tracks.  Since it was proven to be him, there was no case.  I don't think not knowing it was trespassing is a valid excuse.  And getting them to open a complaint about the signage would probably take opening up a whole other suit against them.  It was a criminal lawsuit against RedBird, not the Metra.

Yep, it was the shorts.

zonykel

Very astounded by the community service. If you had a positive contrite attitude and explained you were merely running and the photo supports you were dressesd as a runner, why did you get community service. The judge should have chalked this up to a pure accident and the court costs paid.

Are we missing part of the story here?

If I'm the judge and I see someone who claims he's a runner and I see the picture of someone in denim shorts, then I'm not buying it for a second.

dennrunner

After over 3 weeks and 29 pages of posting, I'm still not seeing any closure here.

What difference did a photo of you (Red Bird) running by the tracks make? Did you try to lie in court? If that's the case, please change your screen name and avatar. You're embarrassing us Cardinal fans. (Of course you already embarrassed us by running in cut-offs.)

After over 3 weeks and 29 pages of posting, I'm still not seeing any closure here.

What difference did a photo of you (Red Bird) running by the tracks make? Did you try to lie in court? If that's the case, please change your screen name and avatar. You're embarrassing us Cardinal fans. (Of course you already embarrassed us by running in cut-offs.)

Can I suggest "denimrunner"?

dennrunner

Can I suggest "denimrunner"?

Hey!  Too close for comfort.

Hey!  Too close for comfort.

Sorry...just too easy to jump to that one Smile

The lawyer was going to try to fight it by saying that it wasn't RedBird on the tracks.  Since it was proven to be him, there was no case.  I don't think not knowing it was trespassing is a valid excuse.  And getting them to open a complaint about the signage would probably take opening up a whole other suit against them.  It was a criminal lawsuit against RedBird, not the Metra.

I thought the case was that it was neither marked nor reasonably apparent that he was trespassing on the railroad right of way.

"Right of way" means the track or roadbed owned, leased, or operated by a rail carrier which is located on either side of its tracks and which is readily recognizable to a reasonable person as being railroad property or is reasonably identified as such by fencing or appropriate signs.

Maybe he was quite close to the tracks in the photo?  Anyone would know that's within the ROW.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yep, it was the shorts.

Since I am from the south originally, and since my last Name is what it is, I have to ask:   What is such a big deal about wearing some Daisy Dukes?!  Old gen, New Gen, they look good!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One wink and they would have been let off with a warning. Wink

This is now how I picture RedBird's first consultation with his lawyer going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9U47pAMPnQ

As Red Bird has pointed out time and time again, it's the principle of this entire thing that gets him so irate.  Chicago is in debt and because of this debt even employees of companies that have limited connection to the city of Chicago take it upon themselves to enforce laws and statutes designed to protect its citizens.

Therefore, Red Bird and his attorney were going to lie in court.  It makes perfect sense to me and I'm having a hard time understanding why this thread has been going on for 20+ pages but everyone likes to be a comedian.  It's actually kind of sad.

Sorry for your troubles Red Bird.  Good luck to you in the appeal.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Therefore, Red Bird and his attorney were going to lie in court.  It makes perfect sense to me and I'm having a hard time understanding why this thread has been going on for 20+ pages but everyone likes to be a comedian.  It's actually kind of sad.

??

You agree with the idea to lie in court, it makes perfect sense to you + you are fine with that, but the "comedy" in this thread makes you "sad"?    That is confusing.       -   I guess I need to get better jokes then. Big grin  --Not even the Daisy Duke images helped lighten your mood?  Smile

PS.  Redbird is APPEALING?  Redbird, as stated before, I wish you would have been found not guilty, you had no ill will!   But now that you have been found guilty, appealing will do 0 to change the outcome.  Appeal on what grounds?  There is no way to win an appeal.  I say it again, let it go and move on!   It sucks, sure, but move on.

--If it makes you feel any better, I have paid thousands of dollars in fines over the years in 10 different states and a foreign country as well! (Afghanistan of all places, MP's- No seatbelt.  Punishment:  My Vehicle (a government tahoe) got taken away and impounded for 10 days).  I was pissed as hell too at the time, but I got over it + moved on.  Something to laugh at now.  -- Fvvckin' Air Force Cops.... Okay, I am still a little bitter. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Best Present Ever

was the lawyer going to say it wasn't him or say that the police didn't prove it was him?  the latter is a perfectly ethical argument.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

As Red Bird has pointed out time and time again, it's the principle of this entire thing that gets him so irate.  Chicago is in debt and because of this debt even employees of companies that have limited connection to the city of Chicago take it upon themselves to enforce laws and statutes designed to protect its citizens.

Yeah, not so much with that though. Again, I ride that train daily and this past weekend the train stopped because of someone being on the tracks with a backpack. The conductor radio'd it in to the transit cops while the person on the tracks moved off of them, allowing the train to continue. When the train got to the next station, a transit officer was there along with an officer of the suburban municipality that the stop was locate in to get the details and go back to where the guy with the backpack was spotted at. I'm going to go ahead and assume that the Metra cop was just doing his job to protect Metra property, trains and passengers and not thinking that this $200 fine was going to finally put the city (that he is NOT employed by) in the black.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Intentionally Blank

I am so getting fired after the amount of time I just spent reading this thread.