Why would the IT band only act up during/after HM's? (Read 746 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I ran the Flying Pig HM last week. Boy, that was a blast with so many people! I've never been in such a big race before! Unfortunately, at around mile 9 (or somewhere around the top of the 4 mile hill we climbed!) my IT bands started acting up. Both of them. I don't normally have issues with these puppies, but I have had trouble one other time - during (and right after) the other HM I ran, last October. That time it waited until about mile 11.5. Not so polite on the Flying Pig! I know I didn't prepare as well for this race as I should have. I was short on long runs, and my long runs were unusually slow even for me. I thought that since my runs often are around 2 hours (and on trails) that my estimated 2:45 finishing time for the HM wouldn't be too much of a strain. Does anyone else have issues with IT bands only during longer races? I'd like to run more half-marathons since I'm positive I'm running at nowhere close to what I am capable of... but this seems to be an issue. Is there anything I can do to prevent injury during a race? It's not been an issue at any other time, and that's making me pull my hair out in frustration!

Roads were made for journeys...

Marquess of Utopia

My IT Band on my right leg has been giving me problems on long runs with too many hills (8-12 miles). I'm not sure how to fix this problem either, but leg strengthing exercises has helped. I thought I was in the clear for the last few weeks so I cut back on my strengthing exercises and the pain returned. Here is what I've tried: - Walt Reynolds' ITB Special: http://onemillionruns.blogspot.com/2006/10/walt-reynolds-itb-special.html - raise the leg out sideways - hip raises (standing on one leg on a step; drop the hip of the non-weight supporting leg, then raise the hip). - inside leg raises or rubber band resistance - straight leg raises and leg extensions - self massage - my favorite stretch: standing cross one leg behind and bend forward like touching your toes, switch sides; I lean toward the leg being stretched. - one leg squats; keeping the knee directly above the heel (you will need to hold onto somthing to keep from falling over backwards) - leg standing balance. - anti-inflammatory drugs.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Just now saw your reply - sorry! Thanks for the ideas. I was still being bothered by it last Saturday, so I'm in the middle of taking a complete week off running. Undecided Perhaps more "preventative care" is in order for me. At this point that sounds like a good idea. Went for a half hour walk today without it hurting... that's an improvement. Roll eyes

Marquess of Utopia

I just had a running video analysis last night. He pointed out a few things to change with my running form. I found it to be very informative. But you may not want to do a video analysis untill you can comforatbly run 5 miles or so. Rest up and I hope you feel better soon; I know how frustrating it can be.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks. It's been feeling a lot better lately. I'm starting to get back into things. Still at a much lower intensity and duration than I'd like to be, but it's getting there. Wink I have hope that I'll be able to work back up to train for another half marathon in early September. It's about 12 weeks away... just barely enough to do another Higdon plan... I think I'll prepare better this time. Blush