Have you ever been scared before a run? (Read 852 times)

Have you ever been afraid before a run? I have been all pumped up over a new distance. 7 miles. T -30min all of a sudden I am like... crap your gonna run how far???? This should be funSmile
      I feel so good right at the moment. I had a very very easy week last week that I needed. I am all caught up with my recovery. Poor old me after this one activity I am gonna be tired for days Smile Why do we do this again?
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Not scared but nervous, yes. I'm still a fairly new runner, doing C25K, and the first run without walk breaks I was a bit nervous. But you know what? Doing it gave me a good boost of confidence. You didn't jump into running 7 miles overnight. Take your time, listen to your body and you'll be fine. If you need to stop at 6.5, you stop at 6.5. If you feel great and hit 7, then feel good. (And I hope you post here to tell us how great it went.) Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Not scared but nervous, yes. I'm still a fairly new runner, doing C25K, and the first run without walk breaks I was a bit nervous. But you know what? Doing it gave me a good boost of confidence. You didn't jump into running 7 miles overnight. Take your time, listen to your body and you'll be fine. If you need to stop at 6.5, you stop at 6.5. If you feel great and hit 7, then feel good. (And I hope you post here to tell us how great it went.) Wink
          Darn you now i am gonna be held acountable Smile Sure will post when i get back.
            I ran earlier in my life. Every plan I saw showed a long run every week. So that is what I did. It really killed me when they started getting longer. This time around so far I have found I do better if they are at least 2 weeks apart. Everything is working better so far. It is as if I need put enough time in to forget the previous long runs torture before I decide to temp it again.
              Drum roll please!!! I made it~! I am done! don't have to torture myself like that again for a while!!! I sure need to get faster... took forever.
              Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

That is awesome!!!!!!

TRUST THE PROCESS

kcam

Drum roll please!!! I made it~! I am done! don't have to torture myself like that again for a while!!! I sure need to get faster... took forever.
                  Good job on the 7. I tell my sister (who is a runner as well) to NOT be that person you see out on the trail looking all miserable, running with bad form, a grimace on their face etc. A lot of this running thing is mental. Look around you, enjoy the scenery, listen to the birds sing, say hi to other people, smile ... have fun and realize you're alive and kicking. It will make those longer runs much more bearable and, even, enjoyable. This is the only thing that gets me out the door knowing I'm doing, say, 20 miles. I could never face a run like that if I thought of it as 'torture'!! Smile
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I totally get that fear thing. It's funny...2 years ago at this time 5 miles would strike fear in my heart, now 5 is a short/easy run. Now my longest runs are 16 miles...and they freak me out. In a couple of months I will be up to 20 miles and 16 won't phase me. It's so mental. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I used to get scared on Tuesdays and Thursdays in high school. Because I knew that most likely, that day's workout in track or cross country would be hellish. And any day that I have a hard speed workout planned, I'm a little nervous. I'm still a little scared now before races, but it's nothing compared to the bald-faced fear I felt before races in high school. Nerves are normal before running, and for some of us, they never completely go away. Channel and harness that nervous energy. Feel the Force.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I wouldn't say I've been scared. It's more like an excited feeling of charting out new territory and pushing myself to see what I can really do. Never scared. Just amazed at what I am capable of if my mind is in the right place.
                        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                        jeffdonahue

I have been running for about 6 years and I was scared this weekend (or at least extremely nervous). I had an 18 mile run planned. The last time I did that distance was over a year ago and it was MISERABLE. I struggled through the last 4 miles of it and it was honestly so miserable an experience that I ended up dropping out of a marathon I had been training for. So getting back up to that distance again I was afraid it would be miserable again, even though I know I have built up my mileage correctly and have the training in to have a good run. As nervous as I was I got out there and kept it pretty slow for the first half, but by the second half I was up to a good speed and feeling good. When I finished it (still feeling good - no miserable experience, well except that I had a GU at mile 7 with no water - dont ever do that!) it really gave me a huge boost that I can get this training thing right. So, as you reach new distances, just be confident in your training and you will do great. And when you finish a new distance, you are going to be so psyched that you have reached a new max distance. Best of luck Jeff
                            I really like getting the nervous feeling before a race, or what I used to get before the hard workouts, in the same way as I like the feeling of being sore after a race or hard workout. I actually found that if I was confident to the point where I was not nervous at all prior to the race, I ended up racing worse than when I had a bit of nervousness beforehand.
                            seeEricaRun

Awesome

Have you ever been afraid before a run? I have been all pumped up over a new distance. 7 miles. T -30min all of a sudden I am like... crap your gonna run how far???? This should be funSmile
                              Yeah, I went through a huge phase like that last year when I was training for the Austin Marathon. I'm not sure why, I've run those distances before, and I was fine. I just kept freaking out the further I got from my house, like I was going to be abducted by aliens or something. I suspect it was due to a traumatic event that happened in earlier in the year - it kind of elevated my fear factor for everything.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

As others have said, I'm not scared, but nervous and excited! I savor the anticipation from one long run to the next actually. Although I love to run and crave that feeling of being in the moment with it, sometimes I find I get the most out of a long run AFTER it's over. That satisfaction of knowing I've reached a new milestone can dance around my brain for days afterwards, making me smile. Smile Congrats on your 7!
                                ~ Fly ~
                                Only as much as I dream can I be.
                                veggies on the run