Seriously, could this possibly be a good weight for me?!?!? (Read 351 times)

SillyC

So, back around Christmas I hopped on the scale and saw that the number had crept up to 125. I'm 5'2". And then decided it was time to go on a diet.  For one reason and one reason only - running. I was gaining weight and eventually all that weight was going to slow me down.

Only..... it looks like it didn't. In fact, the opposite. A few weeks ago, I just PR'ed HARD (by more than a minute) at a 5k, and it wasn't even that difficult. There was a huge crowd, so my mile splits were basically 8:30 pace for the first mile, 7:30 pace for the second mile, and I got down to a 6:30 pace somewhere in the last mile, leaving me with a 23:16, and tied for a win in my age group. At, pretty much, my fattest weight ever.  (Oh, and I've been running, for sure, but this hasn't been a spectacular year for training for me. Many setbacks.)  Ruling out that this was just one spectacular performance, I'm also in first place for the female open division of a local trail race series. This kind of thing is relatively new for me - I've never been all that fast.

So I'm looking for some feedback here. Could this really be a good weight for me as a runner? 5'2" and 122 lbs?

When I started running, about 13 years ago (at 25), I weighed 104. Reasonably, you'd expect I'd put on a bit of muscle in my legs from taking up running and I sure have.  I had a couple of babies, and when I started to take my running seriously (which was 2010), I weighed about 112. Since 2010, the scale has inched up a few pounds a year and I hit 125 this winter. Yikes!  Too much! I'm 122 now.

So I joined MyFitnessPal and started trying to take it off. In 8 months, I've only taken off about 3 lbs and it has been painful. I mean, I've only lost two pounds and even with my calories set to "maintain", I go to bed so hungry I want to cry. It hurts, it hurts, it hurts. I got my weight down to 118 and I was just a mess. I felt horrid.

So, what do you guys think?

Back at the weight loss, fatty? Or hope the prize for winning this race series is a gift certificate I can use to buy bigger shorts?

trying to lose 5 pounds to win an age group award doesn't sound worth the trouble if it makes you miserable.

Of course it could be a good weight for you. (And it sounds like it is.)

Have an ice cream cone and celebrate your PR.

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I am far, far from a qualified dietician, but 122 at 5'2" doesn't seem too bad to me.  Not bad at all.  And if you're getting the results you'd like on the road, I see no reason to worry about it.

The comment about how you feel going to bed worries me MUCH more than any numbers or race results, though.  Keep in mind, MyFitnessPal is very, very much a ballpark idea of appropriate caloric intake/expenditure.  There are so many variables it does not or simply cannot take into account - muscle mass, how much walking around you do during the day (though I guess you could try to plug that in), and plain variances in metabolic rate are just some that come to mind quickly.  I've used it during multiple training cycles, and starting out I "gamed" it pretty hard and was hyper-diligent about keeping a negative balance by the end of the day.  To the point that, one evening over Christmas, when my in-laws called to say they were bringing home pizza, I literally snuck out to a nearby track to crank out a few miles before eating.  Not healthy.  I've since learned that, in addition to that app being far from an exact measure of calories in/out, even if it was, it's not going to tank my weight loss goals to indulge every once in awhile, and furthermore, if I'm running as much as I like to, I'm going to get hungry and it's probably because my body needs the fuel.  Not wants...needs.

MTA: Dietician, not nutritionist...thanks, cookie.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

You are at a healthy weight.  You're not overweight.  You're not underweight.  So this could very well be a good weight for you.

It's a little concerning to read, though, that you're going to bed so hungry that it causes you pain.  Please consider consulting with a Registered Dietician (NOT a nutritionist... A Registered Dietician is a licensed professional.  Any quack can call him/her-self a "nutritionist".) to talk about food choices and dietary needs to ensure that you're both eating properly and not going to bed in pain because you're hungry.

Congrats on the PR.  Keep up the good work!

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Fanilow

The comment about how you feel going to bed worries me MUCH more than any numbers or race results, though.  Keep in mind, MyFitnessPal is very, very much a ballpark idea of appropriate caloric intake/expenditure.  There are so many variables it does not or simply cannot take into account - muscle mass, how much walking around you do during the day (though I guess you could try to plug that in), and plain variances in metabolic rate are just some that come to mind quickly.  I've used it during multiple training cycles, and starting out I "gamed" it pretty hard and was hyper-diligent about keeping a negative balance by the end of the day.  To the point that, one evening over Christmas, when my in-laws called to say they were bringing home pizza, I literally snuck out to a nearby track to crank out a few miles before eating.  Not healthy.  I've since learned that, in addition to that app being far from an exact measure of calories in/out, even if it was, it's not going to tank my weight loss goals to indulge every once in awhile, and furthermore, if I'm running as much as I like to, I'm going to get hungry and it's probably because my body needs the fuel.  Not wants...needs.

+1

As my log will attest, I run at a pretty slow pace. MyFitnessPal usually calls it "walking at a very, very fast pace" which not only causes me to eye-roll, but also realize it's far from a perfect way to balance intake and output.

After using MFP religiously for a couple of weeks and being really hungry and really cranky for those couple of weeks, I decided it might be best for my marriage if I stopped relying on it so much.

I will say though, that it did make me more aware of my food choices and I consequently stopped drinking soda (all those liquid calories!).

As far as weighing less goes, I know it can make you a little faster but probably not as much as just running more.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

Birdwell

Check out this book.

Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald

He has a chapter about figuring out your "optimal" weight. Some folks just do better when they have a little more muscle.

I've really enjoyed the book and it's helped me out.

Congrats on the PR!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

It might be a good weight for you. Your body seems to be trying really hard to keep you there.

And you say you felt horrid at 118.

Very concerning is going to bed hungry.

Forget about calories for a moment ... Are you adequately nourished?

Liz

pace sera, sera

MrH

Yes, 5'2" and 122 could be the right weight for you. It's well into the normal range on BMI and not everyone has the same build. Going too light for your particular body type could make you slower, more injury prone, and very likely miserable.

Pete Magill wrote an article for Running Times focused on Master runners and weight You may not be in that age group but many of the arguments apply.

Most relevant is this quote from Lorraine Jasper who has won multiple national titles as a master:

"If you put on weight and get slower," she says, "lose it! If your times get better, then you have your answer. Too fat or too thin is just stupid. Everyone should do what works best for them and not try to fit into a mold."

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/why-masters-runners-should-stay-lean

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

Many variables at play, but if you felt horrid at 118 there was probably a reason for it.  I go with that more than anything else you say.

Your fitness trajectory COULD mask the negative effects of higher weight, but then again being stronger and recovering better from not stressing your body on nutrients could make heavier better.

I did years of experimentation with my weight.  When I dropped from 155 to under 150 originally, the impact on my racing was immediate (too quick to be explained by fitness) and dramatic -- to the tune of over a minute over 10K, mid-35s to mid-34s.  I kept losing and experimenting, and over time I found that I trained best in the 147-150 range and raced best at 145.  Anything under 145, for any significant amount of time, and I broke down quickly and just felt like hell.  I was only ever able to maintain 145 -- about 5% BF -- for very short periods approaching key races.  I raced most of my PRs at 147-148.  Only once was I ever able to toe the line for a marathon under 150 even, as I'd gain during the taper.

Once again, if you felt like crap running at a lower weight I think that is the strongest signal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ultramarathon/triathlete

There's not really enough info here to determine if your added weight has anything to do with your newer, faster speed.  Generally speaking more weight will make you slower, not faster, unless you're adding muscle which does not sound like the case.  I'd say maybe the faster running is due to more experience, OR your body has changed in a way that helps your running since birthing all those kids (seems unlikely).

More likely is that it takes years to get faster once running "seriously".  Could be you're reaping the benefits of better running over the years, all coming to fruition now.  In that case, yeah, you'd probably be faster if you were lighter.  But is it worth the discomfort to lose a few pounds to get slightly faster?  Maybe, maybe not.  You certainly don't sound fat, my wife is around your height and probably 117-120.  She's definitely not fat.

Maybe you should try eating the same amount but eat closer to bedtime, or space the food out more throughout the day?  Or eat different kinds of foods?  If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much (unless you were underweight to begin with, which you weren't).  If you go to bed hungry but are still eating too much, something's off or not being calculated correctly.  But I'm sure you can fix it and find a happy medium.

Nice work on the 5k and the trail series.

And this thread is useless without pictures ;-)

Oh, and of all things, you're setting a great example for your kids with your continued and successful running.  So there's that!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Dream Maker

In Racing Weight, he recommends doing time trials to determine the right weight for you.

It very well could be.  122 at 5'2 is very reasonable depending on your build.   What size are you there?  I mean, if you're a size 2 or 4 (guessing based on weight and height and my own experience) and running well and feeling healthy, why try to go smaller?

kcam

I'll offer my two-cents on race vs weight only (I don't pretend to know anything about healthy weight or the body / self image issues that  women have to deal with that men don't).

You're just getting fitter, congratulations!

In my experience, the two variables that correlate most closely with race performance are Mileage and Weight.   I have yet to find a weight under which I run slower.  At 5'9" I've weighed as little as 147 and that, not so coincidentally, is where I've run my very best Age-Graded races (I'm old so I have to use AG to compare performances over the years).  I've never been able to get lower than 147 and your BMI at 125 is lower than mine would be if I weighed 147.  I found it VERY difficult to get to and stay at 147 so you're doing better than I ever did at this weight game.  We don't have to get to our absolute ideal weight for racing since we're just recreational runners out to have fun racing.

Enjoy your fitness and don't worry about your fatness!  You should be able to continue dropping your race times for several more years by continuing your training arc and not worrying about being 122 or 125 pounds.

Since you asked... why not try some tempo and interval workouts? Might help manage weight and make you faster. Perhaps a lot faster.

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

SillyC

Wow, thanks everyone! For the advice and for the congratulations. In a way, even if I've only lost 3 lbs, I've come out ahead from previous years because at least I haven't gained anything!

mab411, cookiemonster, MarinaD  and Buzzie - yeah, going to bed so hungry I wanted to cry when I was losing only very little weight. That.... was concerning to me as well too.  And very surprising. It would have been one thing if I was going to bed starving and losing a lot of weight. But hardly anything was coming off. Eight months of trying to lose weight, lots of tears, and only three pounds to show for it. Ouch. I mean, what is up with that?

heatherruns - yes, I'm a size 4. Except I have a classic runner problem. My waist is fairly small (27 inches) but my "hip circumference" is huge on account of my quads. Which are gigantic. And don't fit into a lot of pants unless they are cut right.

Mendeldave - sorry, no bikini shots. Wink  I don't think I have many recent pictures? Regarding timing I think  I'm going to try next eating something small before running and then eating something small again immediately after running.

Birdwell - I'm a vegetarian. Will I get much out of that book? I've heard about it!

Parklife - Why not do intervals? Because I hate them. No really, you're right - they should be part of my training.