My running partner died today. Please pray... (Read 2871 times)

Some of you pressed on me not to give up on running.  I couldn't.  I know Mike would be pissed if I did.  But it'll be a LONG time before i run with anyone.  So I will keep running - but I think it'll take on a new meaning for me.

You go and run that marathon in October and February for both you and Mike.  As a man of faith, you know that you'll never be out there running alone, you'll always have Mike right there with you.  He'll be the one helping you through those rough patches during races and runs when you're not sure if you have it that day.  Thoughts to you, your family, and of course to Mike's.

Prince of Fatness

From your story I can tell that you and Mike were lucky to have each other as friends.  Thanks for sharing.  Hopefully writing this will help with your healing.

Hang in there .... one day at at time.

Not at it at all. 

Loves the outdoors

I am so sorry to hear about this. Mike sounds like a wonderful man and you do him a great honour keeping his memory alive and allowing us to learn a little more about him. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Ojo

Mark, thank you for sharing more about your dear friend.  For what it's worth, I benefited from what you've shared. 

I feel deeply moved by your story. 

Sara

MM #2929

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thank you for sharing.

I will be at Marine Corps.  I hope to see you there.

Mr Play

I've been running 5 miles a lot lately, but today I ran an 8-mile combination route using my usual trail system.  I thought about you guys a lot during the run.  Hang in there.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Mark, thanks for sharing about your friend. I think a bit of Mike with be with each of us the next time we go out to run after reading your words about him. We should all be so blessed to have such a good friend in our lives, even if our time with them isn't as long as we'd hoped.

Yes, let us bear in mind that our time with everyone we love is limited, and live accordingly.

Thank you for telling us about your friend. He sounds like he was a wonderful man and you were blessed to have a friend like him in your life. Good luck with the Marine Corps marathon. 

Mike sounds like an amazing man!  Sound like he also had great taste in friends/running partners.  My heart goes out to you as you were trying to help your friend.  I know that helplessness; it happened to me 14 years ago in New York.  The man having the heart attack was a total stranger but I will always remember his face and that moment.  I know that it was worse for you.  Know that you did everything that could be done and you were there for Mike.

I know that everyone has a different opinion of heaven but my belief is that God allows them to look down to their loved ones.  (I may be wrong but I'll find out when I get there.)  Mike will be looking down on you during your training and rooting for you.  Carry him with you and run those marathons for Mike.

I know that it was hard for you to write about that terrible day but thank you for the chance to get to know Mike.  Will continue to pray for his family, his friends, and for you.

KMB

Mark-

Im so sorry you that you are experiencing this.  This hits very close to home - my brother is a 44 year old pilot for Continental and lives in allentown also; my father died of a massive heart attack sitting right next to me (years ago).  I dont doubt that if Mike (or Mike's wife) could have picked a person to be with him when he passed while running that it would be no choice - itd be you.  I know you will take care of Mike's family - please don't forget to take care of yourself.  I got that advice a lot here not too long ago and it might just be the best advice given here.  I'm running for you tomorrow.

Kevin

Thanks for telling us about Mike.  I hope his wife and kids can get some comfort from the thoughts and prayers that we're sending their way.  You too, so sorry for your loss.  If you're up to it, tell us how it goes at Marine Corp.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

A Saucy Wench

Timed my 8 today to end at a park.  Nice place to stop and think.  You were both in my thoughts today. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Maggie & Molly

Thank you.  I am so touched by what you have shared.  I have now cried for a man I have never met.  You and he were clearly great friends.  I am of the believe that you won't be out there running alone.  Mike will be with you. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

DoppleBock

I am sorry for his family's and your loss.  If my time is up, I hope it happens while I am running and I go quickly.  That or whilst having sex ... with my wife.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

JimR

I am sorry for his family's and your loss.  If my time is up, I hope it happens while I am running and I go quickly.  That or whilst having sex ... with my wife.

yep.  the pain the follows is everyone elses.

my thoughts go out to his family and all who knew him