Training question.. (Read 673 times)

Double IPA Please!

I am running my first half marathon in Sept..by that time I wil have been running solid over a year and thus far have run 2-10 mile races. My question is this..Is it necessary for me to do a full 16wk training plan? I do want to run to pr, but ..how should I train? I dont feel I'm a beginner anymore. Suggestions?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

You can follow a canned plan, or you can just keep training to increase milage a bit. Keep your long run up around that 10miles or more every week, keep your overall up to at least 30 miles, maybe once a week go a little faster than your easy pace, and you should be able to just go out there and race it.
      jeffdonahue

I am running my first half marathon in Sept..by that time I wil have been running solid over a year and thus far have run 2-10 mile races. My question is this..Is it necessary for me to do a full 16wk training plan? I do want to run to pr, but ..how should I train? I dont feel I'm a beginner anymore. Suggestions?
        Not necessarily depending on where your long run is right nwo. It looks like it has been a few weeks since you have run a 10 miles, so you may want to drop back a few miles and build back up but I dont think you necessarily will need to go all the way back and start a 16week training program. Also, keep in mind that if this is your first half marathon, it automatically becomes a PR Big grin

Double IPA Please!

Yeah, my last 10 miler was my race on the 18th of May. Then I got sick for a week. My next 10 is scheduled for this weekend (however, depending on how I feel will determine if I do the full 10 or not since it's been a couple weeks) . I would like my long run to peak around 15 miles with one other longer(ish) run during the week as well. I love doing Tempo's and Intervals so that is something I actually look forward to! Big grin Thanks- and yeah, I guess it being my first Half would automatically make it a pr for me! Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)