Race Report - Celebrate Education 8K (Read 813 times)

First race of the season for me. Signed up for this 8K as a little variety from my Boston training, as well as an opportunity to use it for a speed workout. Was awoken this morning around 3am with the wind howling. At that point, I was questioning why I had signed up for this race. But, I had paid my money, so I knew I had to go (as a banker, I couldn't justify saying "nah, forget it"). I only hoped the wind would die down by the time the race started at 8am. By the time the race started, the wind had slowed some, but not a lot. Outside temp was about 39, wind chill brought it down to I don't know what. All I knew for sure was that I was cold, and we had strong winds. The course was a cross-country course, up and down hills, primarily on trails, crossing a culvert with water, and parts of it quite sandy, rocky, and/or narrow. The last mile in particular seemed especially trying--you came up out of a ravine and the wind hit you square in the face, and the terrain was sandy. I felt as if I was doing a 10min/mile pace--or slower. All in all, it was a cold, windy, hard run. At any rate, finished in 34:00 flat (6:48pace), 1st in my age group (50-54), 25th out of 156. And I'm still cold as I sit here typing this. Hope it's not like this next weekend for my 20miler. Can't wait for summer when the temps are in the 90s and 100s.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

You'll ruin your knees!

Wohoo! Great job on the age group award. I'm in TX and I just came in from 1 1/2 hours in a stiff N wind at 25 degrees and my fingers are not moving too quickly! Nice job in breaking up the training with this race...careful you don't get too attached to the trails! >:] Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hi Pron8r, I wish I knew you were there. I was there too! My first race. I ran in a litter over 41 min. I do not have the final stats, but I was happy with my results. You are right the hills and the wind at the end really took its toll on me, but my mp3 just went to Offspring (from Nirvana), and I zoned out the last 3-4 minutes. I was 170 if you want to see who I was (at myracepics.com), if 170 cut you off then I was 169 Roll eyes Anyway, I told a couple about this site and hope to see them here as well.
          Doughboy: It would have been nice to have met someone from this board. I'm sure our paths will cross at another race. Do you plan on running the 6-Tunnels Half-Marathon next month in Boulder City? If not, when is your next race? And, for your first race, that was a great time--especially in such less-than-ideal conditions we had (wind and course). Won't be long before you are kickin' my butt. BTW--You'll have to join us for some of our Saturday training runs. Again--well done.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            Pron8r, Thanks for the kudos! I don't think I would be ready for that 1/2. I just started running in January. I will be keeping my eyes open for maybe a 10K. I think our company has a 5K for the corporate challenge, but I do not know when or where yet. Thanks for the invite for the runs. On Saturdays I watch my kids while the wife runs her business. Here are some pics my wife took at the 8K if you are interested: http://custer.phanfare.com/album/37754
              ...careful you don't get too attached to the trails! >:] Lynn B
              Yeah, right. Not any time soon, I don't believe. But if I ever do get to liking trail runs, you'll be among the first to know. Smile