Information overload...can someone stop the madness? (Read 1179 times)

First off, let me say that I just discovered the site yesterday. It seems like a great site so I decided to register. Here's my story. I'm a guy and currently 35 years old. I started running in March 07 to lose weight. I ran 3 to 5 miles a day for 4 or 5 days a week. I started out with a run/walk (mostly walk) combo but I was able to comfortably run 3 miles outside in 30 mins in about 4 weeks. I went on to run my first 5K the first week in May (27:45) and ran pretty consistently until October when I ran my first 10 miler. When the weather got colder I moved inside and cut my running down to a day or two a week. In December I decided to get more serious and develop a plan for my running. I got two books on running, one the FIRST method and another about heart rate training, I got a Garmin 305 and heart rate monitor. Did several field tests to determine my VO2 threshold and max heart rate and started heart rate training on the treadmill. It worked really well and I saw dramatic gains very quickly. As the weather improved, I decided to do one of the FIRST training plans. I liked the idea of running only 3 days a week and I could see the science behind the approach. I started with a half marathon plan, I didn't have a half marathon planned but I figured it couldn't hurt. At first it was great. The workouts were very challenging but I could complete them. April came, I got married, and my regimented training had to take a backseat. I got in whatever mileage I could get. By the time May rolled around I had signed up for a 1/2 marathon at the end of Aug and a full at the end of Oct. I restarted my 1/2 marathon training program with a pace of 8:50 and planned to convert to the full plan when I was 18 weeks out with a pace of 9:10. Everything went great until about two weeks before my marathon training started and I had to miss a couple of long runs. My first long run for the marathon training was 13 miles. I figured no problem because I had ran 11 miles 3 weeks before. The day came and I hit a wall at 6 miles. The only walking I had done in my training was on interval days when I was doing RI but I walked most of the way home that day. All of my runs very quickly started to suffer and I couldn't complete my mileage at my prescribed pace. I readjusted my pace to 10:20 for the marathon figuring that would get me in under 4:30 but it still didn't help. I tried to run more, I tried to run less, I moved inside out of the heat. I always wear my heart rate monitor and I'm diligent about keeping my runs in their proper zones. I finally abandoned the FIRST training plan as too ambitious and picked up Hal's novice training plan. Last weekend I ran the prescribed 12 miles at painfully slow 12:00/mile. For the first 5 miles I kept my heart rate in zone 1 and it never got above zone 2 for the entire run. I had to walk a great deal on the way home and my legs were like jello. It definitely didn't feel like an easy run. I feel like a 12 mile long run for an October marathon is not nearly enough distance and the way my body responded to even that distance makes me think that I may have to push the marathon back a year. I know this is really long and I apologize for that. Can someone explain how I can run 9 miles @ 8:45/mile low zone 3, 10 miles @ 11:00/mile zone 1, and 11 miles @ 9:15/mile high zone 2 on 3 concurrent weeks in May but can barely finish 12 miles @ 12:00/mile now? I've seriously considered that there is something medically wrong with me but I don't know what to tell my doctor to check for. I've researched this to death and I see so much conflicting information that I don't know what to believe anymore.
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Feeling the growl again

There are many possibilities: 1) Rest - Are you still getting enough sleep? 2) Stress - If work is stressing you out that will negatively impact your running 3) Burnout - Do you think you may have pushed yourself too hard sometime between May and when things turned bad? Did the FIRST program really trash you before you finally dropped it? If you truly over-trained, it may take a couple months of to recover. 4) Low iron - check ferretin levels, no runner should be on the very low end (under 30 for sure) 5) Heat - Seriously, this can have a huge negative impact for some people.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

First off welcome to the site. A good crowd here full of knowledge and humor mostly about running of course. Big grin I can't really help diagnose the problem and would be presumptive to offer solutions. I can however provide some presonal experience FWIW. I subscribe to a Low Heart Rate training regime (ok you can start throwing barbs now) which is slower aerobic running. I do this as it has been a way to keep from running too hard and getting injured. That being said, it has also kept me on the road and able to build base miles. I've come to the firm conclusion after a miserable failure at the CMM in '07 due to short training and reduced miles, there is no substitute for running especially long distance if you are trying to run a HM or M. Currently there is a thread on just this topic. Slow is relative but from what you describe, you just don't have the endurance/strength that a solid base provides in running long. Others can confirm or refute or add....... So how do you run your races? Take it slow. Forget the time and go for the finish. Walk/run combo or whatever. Keep moving. Build a base and then work towards a time goal when you have the miles under your belt. I received this advice many times in the past and scoffed at it, but now I'm a kool-aid drinking believer in it. I'm using a Higdon plan right now for an Oct M and am feeling good about the training. Now, I also noticed that you are a newlywed. That also may explain why you lack the energy to complete a long run. Clowning around Good luck and put in the miles.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I get 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep a night. Rarely do I get less than that. I still feel tired quite a bit of the time, especially during this stretch. I took a 30 minute nap yesterday before my run. Stress? Well, since April I've gotten married, wrecked a car, purchased two new cars, closed on a house, and we're getting a puppy this weekend. I joked to my wife that if we stopped moving we'd die. It used to be the run took my mind off everything and helped the stress, maybe it's doing the opposite now. Burnout...I seriously considered this. Along with heat, this was my best guess. I took a couple weeks off and then when I started back I tried to listen to my body more but my body doesn't want to cooperate. I do know that I used to feel great threshold training and now my perceived exertion "feels" like I'm almost always past threshold even when my heart rate monitor says something completely different. I'll look into the low iron thing. I'd considered diet in general. Before April I was on my pre-wedding diet. In June I (only partially) joked that I could eat whatever I wanted because I was marathon training. Two weeks later and 3 lbs heavier I realized that was a false statement. I've cut back but my diet isn't as healthy. The last thing I've considered is efficiency. My knees are hurting today which makes me think it might be time for new shoes. My current shoes only have about 350 miles on them so I'm wondering if I need a coach to look at my form. I try to run with correct form but I do run heel-to-toe. It does seem that biomechanically, it feels like more effort to run a 12:00 than it does an 8:00. When I run slow it doesn't feel like all the parts are working together as efficiently.
          2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
          Scout7

Could be overall training volume. You lost some fitness, perhaps.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My current shoes only have about 350 miles on them
              Only? 300-400 miles is the typical replacement point for most running shoes. My knees start to hurt around 300 miles, and as soon as I replace the shoes, they feel better. I think you need to get some shoes. I don't think you indicated your weight, but if you are a heavier runner, you may need to replace your shoes more frequently. To a running shoe maker, heavier is >185 lb. or so. Which FIRST plan did you use? Most FIRST plans involve some rather high intensity training, and high intensity is honestly the last thing a beginning runner needs.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jeff - I'm right at 185. I was 235 when I started running last March. I was 195 in January and I've been at 185 since about March. I do realize that is still large for running. I was kind of hoping to get that magical 500 out of them but I don't need achy knees. I was using the FIRST intermediate half and full marathon programs. They are heavier on speed work but their research indicated that the quality of the run was more important than the quantity of the run. That's part of my general confusion or what I called "Information Overload". I'll read one expert that will say to cut out all "junk" (their word not mine) miles and run very structured pace/heart rate/distances and then the next expert will say to ignore pace and heart rate and just get as much distance in as possible. CarmelRunner - I'm in complete agreement that at this moment I don't have the bank of miles that I need to complete longer races. My challenge has been building my bank. I'm starting to think that my training did wonders for my aerobic and anaerobic systems but failed in building the proper leg strength. My heart will go forever, my legs simply won't. Dead legs make me think I'm over-extending myself but a glance at my heart rate says I should be pushing on. It probably sounds completely naive but I just assumed that the simple act of running would make my legs more than strong enough.
                  Several questions come to mind. Are you still trying to lose weight? You may not be eating enough, leading to fatigue and soreness. Training in the heat? It can make a significant difference in the pace you can sustain.

A Saucy Wench

Jeff - I'm right at 185. I was 235 when I started running last March. I was 195 in January and I've been at 185 since about March. I do realize that is still large for running. I was kind of hoping to get that magical 500 out of them but I don't need achy knees. I was using the FIRST intermediate half and full marathon programs. They are heavier on speed work but their research indicated that the quality of the run was more important than the quantity of the run. That's part of my general confusion or what I called "Information Overload". I'll read one expert that will say to cut out all "junk" (their word not mine) miles and run very structured pace/heart rate/distances and then the next expert will say to ignore pace and heart rate and just get as much distance in as possible. CarmelRunner - I'm in complete agreement that at this moment I don't have the bank of miles that I need to complete longer races. My challenge has been building my bank. I'm starting to think that my training did wonders for my aerobic and anaerobic systems but failed in building the proper leg strength. My heart will go forever, my legs simply won't. Dead legs make me think I'm over-extending myself but a glance at my heart rate says I should be pushing on. It probably sounds completely naive but I just assumed that the simple act of running would make my legs more than strong enough.
                    Well...lots of people disagree with FIRST...but you'll figure it out if you stay here long! I think you started out too hard too soon and yep...just burned out. Your heart monitor may not agree, but your legs think you have just been racing back to back to back to back. Heart rate vs. legs. This is something a lot of new runners struggle with, especially if you have some other kind of fitness. The heart and the legs may just not be at the same place at the same time. BOTH have to gain strength. And it often takes quite a long time before they are anywhere near the same place. Ditch the monitor. Ditch the planned pace. Just go run. Go run at a slower pace than you are used to and stay there for awhile. Find a pace that is slow enough that you can finish most runs going "Oh, I could have gone SOOOO much faster". Ditch the watch if you have to. Build your base slowly. At this point if you want to still do your half at the end of August, you've got to back WAY off on the pace, ditch all speed work, and just put in the miles. The next time you work really hard should be race day. MTA: and WELCOME! and start logging your runs here and open up your log and over time you will get even MORE information overload...but the good kind!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

monikam

Last year you were doing pretty good by putting in consistent miles at I`m guessing moderate pace. Then winter came, you started running much less, lost some fitness and when the spring rolled around you jumped into high intensity half marathon training program without establishing a proper base. It`s not going to work that way. You need to put in the miles and establish a good base before any half or full marathon program. At this point step back and recover.. Forget about pace, just run easy, get plenty of rest, make sure you hydrate properly, eat well to sustain your workouts. Get new shoes... 350 miles is nearing the end of the road for most running shoes but you won`t know until you get the new pair and see how the new pair makes your legs feel.. I usually get new pair at about 350 miles and then alternate the old and new until my old ones have 450 miles on them or until I feel the old ones are not good anymore. Some people need to change their shoes even more often though. Good luck
                      Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
                        Is there any easy way to import all my previous workouts into this system? I have been diligent about tracking my workouts, first with the Nike iPod thingie and then with a Garmin 305. I suppose I could do it by hand if that's the only way. Last night was probably the low point for me. I got home and napped for about 90 minutes before going out for my run. I hardly ever nap and never for that long; plus I've had 7.5 to 8 hours of sleep all week. The run itself was painful. We ran 3 miles at just under 12:00/mile. My heart rate peaked at 1.8 which is where my historical data suggested it would be given that pace and that temperature (hot) and at the end of the run I was about as sweaty as I should be for a very easy run. The thing is, my perceived exertion was a 6 or 7 for most of the run. I wasn't able to hold a conversation and I felt like I was pressing. My long run isn't until Sunday so I'm going to focus on diet, rest, and hydration until then. I'm also planning to do my long run using a 3 min run and 1 min walk pattern to see what that does. My last two things are looking into a strength training program for my legs and getting into to see my doctor to make sure there's nothing else going on. Question: Is it worth moving inside to the treadmill for some of my running? I'm inclined to think not because the treadmill would seem to do more to improve aerobic/anaerobic condition and less to improve leg strength (esp hams & glutes) and right now leg strength seems to be a challenge. Thanks for all the help!
                          Several questions come to mind. Are you still trying to lose weight? You may not be eating enough, leading to fatigue and soreness. Training in the heat? It can make a significant difference in the pace you can sustain.
                          Sorry, I didn't see your questions before. Trying to lose weight? Not actively. My diet could be better but it's not like I'm eating fast food. I do find myself craving carbs ALL THE TIME. Training in the heat? Oh yeah. I don't think I've had a run below 85 degrees in what feels like forever. I'm not good with mornings and the increased humidity in the morning makes me miserable. I've been trying to end my runs so I'm finished at dusk, although I've had a couple of runs where it's completely dark by the time I'm done. Still, there's no escaping the heat.
                            Were you doing the cross training on FIRST? You didn't mention it, so I wasn't sure. If not, there's another possible loss of fitness. Sorry to hear that you're having such trouble. I started out with LHR training last year and have only recently increased my intensity, and even then, only a smidge. Lots of (very) slow easy running works. At least for me.
                            Brandon

A Saucy Wench

Is there any easy way to import all my previous workouts into this system? I have been diligent about tracking my workouts, first with the Nike iPod thingie and then with a Garmin 305. I suppose I could do it by hand if that's the only way.
                              I dont think there is an easy way to get ALL the data in, but I was able to input all my garmin data in excel following the format of the log export and then import it. I didnt get my splits and intervals, but I got date/time/distance/shoe/runtype etc. Much faster than importing each run.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

The thing is, my perceived exertion was a 6 or 7 for most of the run. I wasn't able to hold a conversation and I felt like I was pressing.
                                Seriously - this is what you need to focus on. HR is only part of your system. The rest of your body is telling you something.