Singlet in Place of Tec S/S Running Shirt (Read 191 times)

This year after a few years of running, I have decided to possibly wear a singlet while running during spring and summer in Atlanta.

Never have worn them.  Have you noticed a cooling benefit compared to short sleeve tec shirt?  Any other benefits?

Do you wear them just racing or also on your training runs?  Also if there is a benefit, where do you purchase them online for a discount?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rich

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

mikeymike

Yes singlets are noticeably cooler than a tech T-shirt but I generally only wear s singlet when racing. If its too hot for a T-shirt I go shirts off, yo.

Running warehouse and eastbay usually have a decent selection.

Runners run

gpb

My weekday runs are typically at lunchtime. In Atlanta.

I can't imagine NOT wearing a singlet.

Yes they're remarkably cooler than even a sleeveless tee. Also very easy to strip off and put back on without stopping as I'm on my way out of or returning to the office park. T-shirts tend to catch on sunglasses or headphones, not so much an issue with the wider neck of a singlet

My favorite online shop is runningwarehouse.com, always great prices and great service.

But: don't forget to support local running stores too such as Big Peach, Phedippides, West Stride, or even Fleet Feet or RoadRunner. Clearance racks at these stores are great, but obviously now's not the time to find singlets on clearance.

DaBurger

I always wear a singlet for races and the key to running fast isn't hard training, it's Wednesday Sleeveless.  Proven scientific fact.

Know thyself.

Walk-Jogger

I always wear a singlet for races and the key to running fast isn't hard training, it's Wednesday Sleeveless.  Proven scientific fact.

I love running and racing in a singlet, and yes, it's noticeably cooler than a tech t-shirt.

Happiness for me is any weather warm enough that I can run in a singlet and 1.5" inseam shorts. So, at least 60F, and preferably 70-75 F (we almost never get heat and humidity together at the same time).

Retired &  Loving It

Thanks everybody for your answers.  Since next Saturday is a race, I'll stop by the LRS, Big Peach Running, for one.

If I determine that I want some for daily running, then I order quantity online.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Run n Drum

I'll have to try the singlet this summer.  Being from Texas, it gets quite warm here.

RnD

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I race in a singlet in summer. Running before 5 am I am still in long sleeves and gloves( Atlanta). Needing to do a double today I  will break out a singlet.Thanks for the reminder.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I ran my fastest races ( such as they are) wearing a RA singlets, can't wear something with skulls/crossbones on it and run slow.  Next race fishing out the singlet for sure, right now a bit fat to be rocking either a singlet, or go moobs out

Chasing the bus

... RA singlets, can't wear something with skulls/crossbones on it and run slow.

Uhm...are these still available?

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                      Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

aussieintn

Just look at elite runners and track athletes. Wear what they wear. They know what they're doing.

Song

Singlets are also easier to warp around the palm on really hot days, and use as face-wipe. In fact, here in the tropics, I wear a singlet only in the lift to preserve the modesty of my neighbours. Off it comes the moment I hit the outside.