Crossfit (Read 2072 times)

I'm Betty if you're Al

Just scoped it out yesterday.  First class is Thursday.  Anyone have experience with it?

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

They have one about three minutes from my job.  People look like they're having fun in there.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I take a class called Circuit Blast at my local YMCA that is pretty similar to Crossfit. I take it two days a week for an hour.

Personally, I love it and love how it improves my overall fitness.

--

Nashville, TN

I'm Betty if you're Al

I am a little nervous about the soreness afterwards.  Being in the heart of my marathon training I just don't want to miss key running workouts due to muscle soreness...I know I can "go easy" with crossfit at least until my body gets used to the training, but that maybe a little hard for me since I am doing it with my husband and friend...

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

Scout7

What's your current goal?

If it is to perform well for your marathon, then I would skip the Crossfit stuff for now and start into it after the race.

If the important goal is general fitness, to have fun and spend time with family and friends, then ease into the Crossfit workouts.

I agree about holding off on Crossfit until after the marathon. It will be a nice change of pace after you recover from the 26.2 (and yes, you will be sore at first).

--

Nashville, TN

I'm Betty if you're Al

What's your current goal?

If it is to perform well for your marathon, then I would skip the Crossfit stuff for now and start into it after the race.

If the important goal is general fitness, to have fun and spend time with family and friends, then ease into the Crossfit workouts.

Hmm...you had to throw that wrench in there didn't you...

My goal is 3:15 at Boston.

But my husbands goal is to get back into shape...enter Crossfit...He's rather submissive so me participating as well will keep him honest. 

Maybe I'll try it for a week and see how my training does with it...I know evenutally it will only do wonders for my running but it might be too late to get intensley into it before Beantown.  DAMNIT!

ultramarathon/triathlete

I did a class called IronFit that was, from what I've read, very similar to Crossfit.

It blasted my quads.  

I went with a friend, even though I hate classes (other than spin classes).  I decided I'd do it half assed, and I thought I was. 

The class was early in the week and I had a race that coming Sunday.  I figured it was plenty of time between to recover from some little class. (It was a 10 miler and I wanted to hit/break 60 mins since I kept missing that mark but was getting closer and closer).

The day after the class, I was walking like I'd run a marathon (and I've run a lot of marathons).  The next day I was worse, 3 days later I was super sore, 4th day, still sore.  By the time the race came I was feeling a bit better but had my slowest 10 miler in a long long time and felt I had the juice sucked out of me from the start. 

I know this means the class was probably good and I should do it more because clearly I have some muscles that should be getting more training, but my point is, it is very possible it will blast you up too, and you'll likely miss some workouts.

Or, you could be in much better overall shape than I am, and just be a wee bit sore. I guess just take it way easier than you think easy should be, and see how you feel after.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

This is a blog of a guy I've been following for years--he's former NCAA D1 Cross Country champion who went to my college and made a good go at it as a pro runner for a while before finally succumbing to injury.  He sold me a pair of New Balance one when he was working at a running shop just out of college.  He still runs a bit but mostly races bikes now.  He recently left a job at Reebok for New Balance and a big part of the reason was a need to get away from the CrossFit mania that had swept Reebok.

An interesting read if nothing else.

At the end of the day, I think it gets back to what Scout said: What is your current goal?

Runners run

I'm Betty if you're Al

This is a blog of a guy I've been following for years--he's former NCAA D1 Cross Country champion who went to my college and made a good go at it as a pro runner for a while before finally succumbing to injury.  He sold me a pair of New Balance one when he was working at a running shop just out of college.  He still runs a bit but mostly races bikes now.  He recently left a job at Reebok for New Balance and a big part of the reason was a need to get away from the CrossFit mania that had swept Reebok.

An interesting read if nothing else.

At the end of the day, I think it gets back to what Scout said: What is your current goal?

Thanks Mikey Mike, that def. was good perspective.  And Paelo Diet.  I had this conversation at my personal training workshop just this weekend.  That diet is looney tunes.  What kind of person doesn't drink beer or eat ice cream????

Thanks Mikey Mike, that def. was good perspective.  And Paelo Diet.  I had this conversation at my personal training workshop just this weekend.  That diet is looney tunes.  What kind of person doesn't drink beer or eat ice cream????

me Smile. But I've only been doing paleo for about 6 weeks. For me, it has been really good, physically and mentally. I didn't have to give up beer though since I never drank it in the first place. In the winter, ice cream doesn't seem so important. We'll see how I feel in the summer.

I have been doing CrossFit since mid-October. I love it. it has changed my body better than any other exercise I've done. But I still cannot do a pull up or hand stand. Doesn't matter.  Everything can be scaled or modified. It's made me a lot less interested in running. But I was never that into running in the first place. I'm slow and ran very low mileage.

I did find it harder to run and do CrossFit but that could be because of my overall lack of fitness. 

The coaching is the most valuable part of CrossFit to me so I think it's important to find an affiliate with good coaches who focus on form and technique. To become a certified level 1 CrossFit trainer doesn't really take much, $1000 and a weekend. 

It can be easy to get caught up in the intensity of it since a lot of the workouts are based on time and there are other people there, which can make it feel competitive. You could end up overdoing without realizing it. Just keep in mind your own goals.

CrossFit is challenging but it is also very fun. Your husband could get hooked on it and be more self-motivated to go without you. I was hooked from day 1.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/fitness/inside-cult-crossfit

Just one persons opinion but I am curious to see where it goes in the next few years, not a fan as they are performing a lot of high intensity exercises with no break between. Those olympic lifts are no joke and when you do them fatigued already you set yourself up to get hurt. 

Just one persons opinion but I am curious to see where it goes in the next few years, not a fan as they are performing a lot of high intensity exercises with no break between. Those olympic lifts are no joke and when you do them fatigued already you set yourself up to get hurt. 

In fact, DomF did get hurt on Crossfit.  Maybe he could shed some light? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The coaching is the most valuable part of CrossFit to me so I think it's important to find an affiliate with good coaches who focus on form and technique. To become a certified level 1 CrossFit trainer doesn't really take much, $1000 and a weekend. 

It can be easy to get caught up in the intensity of it since a lot of the workouts are based on time and there are other people there, which can make it feel competitive. You could end up overdoing without realizing it. Just keep in mind your own goals.

These two things - coaching being important, and it being crazy easy to become a coach - don't usually go together. 

The intensity is the whole point. When I'm not training for a race, crossfit-type workouts - I don't pay them any money, and I seldom use more than body weight & a couple dumbells - are most of my intensity.

As far as I know, there is no rule against breaks. I see people take breaks. I take breaks all the time. I suppose no one has ever injured themselves running or biking or doing any other sport ....