Garmin vs map my run (Read 597 times)

GinnyinPA

Both Mapmyrun and RunningAhead use the same base maps.  In my area, they are really inaccurate, showing roads that don't exist and not showing roads that do exist.  It gets a bit frustrating, but since I'm just looking for a general idea of how far I ran, it doesn't much matter.  It did before I learned to drive my longer routes before running them to make sure the roads actually did go where they show on the maps.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Both Mapmyrun and RunningAhead use the same base maps.

Not True. RA has more base maps you can use to find routes that do not appear on the basic Google Map that displays by default.

RunningAhead has:

• Google Maps
      • Google Maps Satellite
      • Google Maps Terrain Maps
      • USGS Maps
      • USGS Maps Satellite
      • Bing Maps
      • Bing Maps Satellite
      • Open Street Map

MMR has:

• Google Maps
      • Google Maps Satellite
      • Google Maps Terrain Maps
      • USGS Maps
      • Open Street Map

Both Mapmyrun and RunningAhead use the same base maps.  In my area, they are really inaccurate, showing roads that don't exist and not showing roads that do exist.  It gets a bit frustrating, but since I'm just looking for a general idea of how far I ran, it doesn't much matter.  It did before I learned to drive my longer routes before running them to make sure the roads actually did go where they show on the maps.

You know you can switch to satellite view, zoom in close to see good detail, click the "create route manually" button instead of "follow the road on foot" and draw your maps wherever you want, right? I have maps that cut across fields, go through swamps, cut through paths between streets that aren't on the map, etc. Well at least in RunningAhead you can do all this, I don't know about MapMyRun.

Runners run

strava is awesome, try that

For smart phone users the question should  be how accurate is my phones GPS? Early smart phones had lousy GPS reception but newer phones like the Galaxy 3 have pretty good reception. That said,  this year I am using my smart phone a Galaxy 3  plus  RunKeeper for pace and RA for mapping.