1st 10K (Read 1070 times)

I ran my first 10K this weekend. I finished in 54:35. No not exactly a rocket but it was the first time that I passed more people than people passed me. I also took a full 4 mins off the fastest I had ever run for that distance. All your advice really helped. Thanks

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Congratulations! Your pace was very good!! How did you feel afterwards? Were there any points of the race that you felt the best/the worst? Anything unexpected in the run? How did your legs feel? When's the next race? Smile

Michelle

va

Sean, if your profile is up to date, and if you get to your target weight, you will be passing a lot more people. I went from 59 min 10K at 196 lbs to a 50 min 10K at 175. If your running 54 minute 10Ks at 220, thats pretty impressive, and I'd say you've got a lot of potential. Whatever the case may be, shaving off 4 minutes is great. Well done!!!
          Unfortuantely my profile is pretty up to date. I still weigh about 215lb. I haven't lost much wieght lately but have gone down a pant size in the last month. A lot of my changes are happening with my body fat percentage. I am fairly thickly built and spent most of the life trying to bulk up for hockey and rugby. I do all my running with my brother-in-law who is 160lbs dripping wet in 2 pairs of army boots. He keeps me moving. My first 3 miles were done in about 22:45 which I was happy about but I think that I pushed it a little hard at the beginning and not hard enough at the end. I thought that we had about 2 miles left and we only had about 1 or I would have started to speed up a bit earlier.

2012 goals

Congratulations! Your pace was very good!! How did you feel afterwards? Were there any points of the race that you felt the best/the worst? Anything unexpected in the run? How did your legs feel? When's the next race? Smile
            I felt really good afterwards. I was surprised I felt so good really. My running partner and I went out way to fast in our first race and managed to keep our pace this time. The best part of the race was passing all the people that started to fast around the half way mark with a smile. I felt the worst at about mile 4. My legs weren't convinced that I was going 10K not 5. I think that our next race will be the resolution 5K on Jan 1.

2012 goals

va

Well if you still have 10 lbs to lose, I would think that losing that weight would be the best thing you could do to improve your times further, and it helps that other training you do to improve your running performance will help with the weight-loss. Before you know it, you will breaking the 50 min mark for 10Ks. Note if your like a lot of people, when you get to 205, you probably realize that you can/should go a little further. I started at the same weight as you, set my target at 173, then 170, now I just lowered it to 160. I am currently 174 with about 23% body fat. I am shooting for around 16%. Note, I am considered to have a "medium" frame.
                Great job dude! Big grin

Vim

Congrats on a great race ! Losing 4 mins - awesome Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

I felt really good afterwards. I was surprised I felt so good really. My running partner and I went out way to fast in our first race and managed to keep our pace this time. The best part of the race was passing all the people that started to fast around the half way mark with a smile. I felt the worst at about mile 4. My legs weren't convinced that I was going 10K not 5. I think that our next race will be the resolution 5K on Jan 1.
                    Sounds like it was an AWESOME race!!! It's nice being on the not starting out too fast end! Great progress and WTG on your new PR!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson