3 years ago, today... (Read 664 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I started on a weight loss journey that consisted mainly of watching my carbs and calories--and for the most part it worked VERY well (I was 185#s at the start and in a size 14/16. 50#s later I am a size 6 in most things. At one point I had lost 60#s). Last Fall 10 creeped back on and have been like Velcro. So late last Winter, inspired by Eryn and an online friend who had taken up Running as her New Year's resolution, I decided to give running another crack, myself. Starting the first day of Spring I began with week two of the C25k program...and the rest is history. Now I am up to about 25 miles/week and hope to max out for this year at about 35mpw (in preparation for my first HM) before scaling back a bit for Winter--but next Spring I will be running the Fifth Third Riverbank 25k with Eryn...and maybe someday a few full marathons (my baby brother wants me to do Chicago with him someday--that would be pretty cool). I still have 10-15#s I'd like to be rid of and my original purpose in starting to run was to be rid of those nasty varmints, but now I am having so much fun that weight loss would simply be icing on the cake (and help me to run faster and easier, added bonus). Maybe by my 4th anniversary of the start of my weight loss I will have met my goal... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Cool Happy "anniversary" Kirsten! Give yourself a pat on the back with your free hand!

Roads were made for journeys...

Happy Anniversary, Blondie!!!! I'm beaming like a proud best friend again!!!!!
        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
          Congrats K. what a great story i have one similar but took me a little longer then 3 years , has been 8 years and counting to get to my point, but started when my wife and I split was aheavy smoker and drinker and weighed in at 215lbs...currently at 165lbs have quit smoking only drink wine on special events and have rediscoverd this great life and world we have...so I toast you with a galss and a smile...great work and keep it going Big grin
            WTG Zoom!!! Happy Anniversary!! 3 years ago I was in the same boat or close too it. Looks like the "healthy side " caught both of us lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, everyone! Man, another thing I just remembered is how tired I was all of the time 3 years ago. Part of that was due to the blood sugar issues, but it was also in large part due to hauling around the extra weight and not being very fit. Running does a body good in so many ways! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself (and to all the lurkers who also need to pat themselves on the back!) Happy feet! lisa k
                Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                  Yo go girl! I hope to join you in losing about 10#s very soon!!! Smile Kimmer
                  My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yo go girl! I hope to join you in losing about 10#s very soon!!! Smile Kimmer
                    Hmmm...maybe we should start a group here for those of us who want to lose a few pounds. I know some of us here run just for the sake of running, but I think just as many RA peeps are also running in an effort to leave a few excess #s in the dust (hopefully never to be seen ever again, LOL). Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Let us know when you start it up!

Roads were made for journeys...

Kirsten, Congratulations!!!!! Ken
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks! Oh, and for fun...here are a couple of photos taken of me within a month or two of starting my weight loss journey: Note that in the second picture my hubby's aunt is HIDING BEHIND ME! Enough time has passed that I look at those photos now and hardly believe those were me. I spent my 20s overweight, but I'm getting pretty used to the way I look, now (though I still need to be careful, since keeping the weight off is just as tough as getting it off in the first place, unfortunately). k

~ Sarah Kay

Coming from actually seeing her make this journey, she deserves a BIG pat on the back!! It really has been an amazing transition! She's awesome!!!! (Ok, so maybe I have a little "best friend bias", but seriously, you can see the pictures...she's awesome! Big grin
                            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3