Bonkin makes me puke (Cross Posted) (Read 629 times)

mbk

I posted this in the 2000+ forum but meant to post it here: And it was a blessing. Let's begin at the beginning. Today I raced ran finished the Rockledge Rumble 30k in a stunning time of 4:40:55 (a 15:05 pace). I expected this to be a good race, but, umm, it wasn't. I started out strong (too strong?) and did the first ~4.5 miles in 45:00. Finished the first half in 1:51 (11:55 pace - uh oh, slowing down!). I felt dead - no energy, the hills were killing me, couldn't seem to keep going. I was carrying a bottle, taking gu, drinking and eating at the aid stations. But from the waist to the neck I was tight and achy and on the way back I felt sick and heaved a little. I was also a little dizzy. I pretty much walked the entire second half of the race. At the last aid station (about 4.5 miles from the finish) someone took my bottle and filled it up for me. I felt dehydrated and downed several cups of water. The guy handed me my bottle back and said, "Marshall, I'm Mike...Bonkin." It was nice to meet him and we chatted for a couple of minutes about my crappy day, Ultracentric next weekend, future races, etc. Then a woman at the aid station threatened to charge me rent if I didn't move on, so I started my slow trudge toward the finish. About five minutes out of the aid station I threw up a few times. It was awesome ( Wink ). I felt like crap. But after a few minutes I actually felt better - I guess it cleared my stomach. I was able to run some (not much) and at least walk at a faster pace. I passed a few people who had passed me. I certainly didn't get too fast, but I did feel better for the last 1/4 of the race, and I was able to run the last 1/4 mile to the finish. So Bonkin, whatever you did to make me puke, it actually helped. Let's do it again sometime. I also briefly met tschepsit at the start. He passed me on his way back (way ahead of me) and he looked strong! By way of comparison, last year I racewalked the 50k on this same course in a time of 6:42:08 (a 12:57 pace), and three weeks ago I ran a 20k on trails in a time of 2:11:39 (a 10:36 pace) so I think today was just not my day. Maybe I overtrained and didn't taper enough; I was very busy this week and didn't get much sleep. Whatever happened, I'm trying to put in perspective and not get discouraged. I am, however, questioning my decision this week to register for the White Rock Marathon on 12/9/2007. I hope I'll be ready.
      Congrats on finishing the 30K!! No matter what the time. And so cool that you got to meet some fellow RA-ers.

You'll ruin your knees!

Marshall, The "not my day" races are what make the others so great! And, hey, what's a RA buddy for if not to make you wanna puke! Congrats on the finish...good seeing all you guys out there today. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

So Bonkin, whatever you did to make me puke, it actually helped. Let's do it again sometime.
          We're all better off because of people like Bonkin who have these special talents, although I imagine it could be a great burden to be so gifted. Nice job on finishing Marshall, and best of luck to you in the White Rock Marathon.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Haha! We aim to please at the Murell aid station! Big grin Not only everything else you said, it was also getting hot when you came through. We had to sit several runners down for a spell to get them back into running shape (fluids, electolytes, etc.) or rested up for the drive back to the finish line. At least two people DNF'd at our aid station. It was nice meeting you as well, Marshall and it was good to see Michael (tschepit) and Lynn again! You'll do fine at White Rock, Marshall! I'm only doing the half that day - if you see me there though - don't take any water bottles from me. Wink

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Congrats on at least finishing... there's is always next year.... It's no fun to have an upset stomach, Wish I would of gone out and done with 15K, but it was all filled up... and I needed my zzz's this morn. Interesting....I blew chunks Dead at the first race I met bonkin at. Angry Tongue I was surprised how much it heated up over the past couple of days. You think that had anything to do with your dehydration?

Vim

Burninated Peasant

I think I'm sensing a trend here - I also felt a pretty strong urge to hurl shortly after leaving Bonkin's aid station. From Marshall/mbk's description, I should have just let it fly. I attributed it to the e-cap that I took at the station, but now I'm beginning to wonder. Like Marshall, I went out too fast, though I thought I was taking it easy. Apparently not easy enough, given the warm weather. I forgot to look at my watch at the halfway mark, but I did check it about a mile after the turnaround, and it said 1:29. I got progressively slower after that, and started having calf cramps shortly before the 4.5 mile-left Murrell aid station. I took a fairly long break under the pretense of talking to Bonkin/Mike. After the aid station, I had quite a few stretches where I had to hobble/walk to prevent my calf/quad/hamstring cramps from introducing my face to the ground. Surprisingly, only four people passed me during my misery, and one of them was on a bike, so I assumed he wasn't part of the race. I went back by one of the other three shortly before the finish. Somehow I made it to the end, though I couldn't quite catch the first female. And Lynn, yes, I was saving all my energy for the "sprint" at the top of the stairs. Or at least enough energy to finish upright. I ended up 7th (6th male), with a time of 3:03:46 according to the race results that were on the table. I seem to have a habit of forgetting to stop my watch at these things, so I'm glad they were quick to print those out. I'm still amazed at the 50k runners - I'm really going to have to figure out the cramping/salt thing before attempting one of those. Either that, or make sure to sign up for one where the weather is closer to 40 degrees than 80. Also like Marshall, I'm now questioning my decision to sign up for White Rock. My back is very unhappy with me about the race, or maybe about sleeping on a matress on the floor for the past month, or maybe both. I guess I'll just have to pray for 40 degree weather. And lots of beer for my back.
                  tschepsit, congrats to you, too. ----------------------------------------------------------- I need to get myself signed up for Whiterock tomorrow. I just hope I don't have some Christmas party type engagement the night before that race.

Vim

I guess I'll just have to pray for 40 degree weather. And lots of beer for my back.
                    This is key! Great job on a nice finish, Michael. Another trend is top 10 at El Scorcho - top 6 at Rockledge Rumble. I'll bring some puke potion to White Rock.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You'll ruin your knees!

I think I'm sensing a trend here - I also felt a pretty strong urge to hurl shortly after leaving Bonkin's aid station. From Marshall/mbk's description, I should have just let it fly. I attributed it to the e-cap that I took at the station, but now I'm beginning to wonder. Like Marshall, I went out too fast, though I thought I was taking it easy. Apparently not easy enough, given the warm weather. I forgot to look at my watch at the halfway mark, but I did check it about a mile after the turnaround, and it said 1:29. I got progressively slower after that, and started having calf cramps shortly before the 4.5 mile-left Murrell aid station. I took a fairly long break under the pretense of talking to Bonkin/Mike. After the aid station, I had quite a few stretches where I had to hobble/walk to prevent my calf/quad/hamstring cramps from introducing my face to the ground. Surprisingly, only four people passed me during my misery, and one of them was on a bike, so I assumed he wasn't part of the race. I went back by one of the other three shortly before the finish. Somehow I made it to the end, though I couldn't quite catch the first female. And Lynn, yes, I was saving all my energy for the "sprint" at the top of the stairs. Or at least enough energy to finish upright. I ended up 7th (6th male), with a time of 3:03:46 according to the race results that were on the table. I seem to have a habit of forgetting to stop my watch at these things, so I'm glad they were quick to print those out. I'm still amazed at the 50k runners - I'm really going to have to figure out the cramping/salt thing before attempting one of those. Either that, or make sure to sign up for one where the weather is closer to 40 degrees than 80. Also like Marshall, I'm now questioning my decision to sign up for White Rock. My back is very unhappy with me about the race, or maybe about sleeping on a matress on the floor for the past month, or maybe both. I guess I'll just have to pray for 40 degree weather. And lots of beer for my back.
                      tschepsit's fast (Michael @ start in white shirt)... tschepsit's almost done w/30K - NTTR's cruel finish chute... tschepsit manages good form @ finish!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Congrats on finishing and meeting some RA friends!!
                        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com