Stinky clothes (Read 359 times)

djschroeder4

I'll be honest and admit that my clothes stink.  I run a lot, I sweat a lot (yes, even in the Minnesota winters) and my running clothes stink.   I still haven't found the best way to help eliminate odors.  What tips do you have to help manage the stink in your running clothes?  Any tips would be appreciated.

an amazing likeness

Use a sport laundry detergent. Then trash 'em when the permastink gets too bad.  Some of the fabrics just can't be defunked, others are good for years.

A previous permastink thread with some suggestions.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Proudfoot

I used to soak my sweaty running clothes in a bucket with a mix of vinegar+baking soda then rinsed and dried the next day. That worked reasonably well until I started using OxyClean detergent for my running clothes loads in the washing machine. Works like magic.

TortisHELL

Go Vegan

or

Wear Cotton

Joann Y

Only wear them once before washing. Hang them to dry before putting in the laundry pile. Don't use fabric softener.

I rinse them with fabric disinfectant (goes in the fabric softener compartment).

I was going to suggest vinegar or even vodka.

Hoban-Jay

I'll be honest and admit that my clothes stink.  I run a lot, I sweat a lot (yes, even in the Minnesota winters) and my running clothes stink.   I still haven't found the best way to help eliminate odors.  What tips do you have to help manage the stink in your running clothes?  Any tips would be appreciated.

If you ever come up with a solid viable solution, you'll make a fortune!  (From me alone!)   I've been running for 20+ years and have tried every product available and every trick of the trade.  OxyClean helps some, but not so much with the cool-max wicking type clothes.  Vinegar and baking soda do nothing for me.

Half Fanatic #846

I don't seem to notice as much with vodka.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Joann Y

Personally, haven't found much use for vodka but whiskey works great for lots of things. Might help with the stinky laundry situation, you never know.

I don't seem to notice as much with vodka.

I didn't mean drinking it 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Most of the time, I just wash my running stuff just like everything else. I'm beginning to wonder if my nose even works. Is that why no one will come within ten feet of me?

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You wash your running clothes?

You people have issues 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Crazy talk, I know.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

One word: wool

I have several Icebreaker wool running shirts.  In the winter I can wear just one of them every day for two weeks w/o washing and they smell okay.  Not Spring fresh, mind you, but they don't stink.  I also have your typical tech-polyester (dry-fit) race shirts: can only wear them once before they stink (sometimes less).

I have found that after 3 years, the wool shirts I wore on the gym treadmill, have retained an unfortunate musty smell -- so there might be a limit to how much sweat and odor these things can take.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do