Is it all just a marketing Sham? (Read 1698 times)

So I went 26.41 miles this morning as a long run (4:13:40), my first time going "The distance". I drank 3, 710ml bottles of water and 1, 710ml bottle of Gatorade. The last 5k was my fastest, as I just had to see how much I had left. Actually the last K was my fastest 5:29 pace. I know I shouldn't have run hard at the end but I was curious. Anyway, my point of writing this is, I used..... No Gels No Gu No Salt tabs No Power bar I had no breakfast I didn't even drink a glass of water before I left (Too worried about needing a bathroom) Well surprise, surprise there was no Wall as well Is it all just a marketing scam, that you need all this special energy supply? Mind you it was Raining fairly heavily for about 2.5hrs of my run.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Chris UK

Forget the Marathon - technically you are now an Ultra Runner. Wink Well done. Cool Modified to add - I have done 18 miles so far in cooler damp conditions just drinking water. I would prefer to emulate you if I can rather than using anything else. Time will tell.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

JakeKnight

Good think you've got this whole marathon deal figure out on your first try. You should write a book and share your expertise with the world. My suggestion for your first chapter: "Obvious Stuff 101: If You Run Really, Really Slow, You Won' t Find The Wall." Send me royalties if you use that, mmm-kay?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Chris UK

OK - I'm not going to call you an elitest prick because I bet you know each other really well and you are just taking the rise. Right??

3000 miles

So you have to be able to run at a certain pace to burn all your muscles stored energy. Any idea what that pace is........for the book ya know Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

OK - I'm not going to call you an elitest prick because I bet you know each other really well and you are just taking the rise. Right??
              He may know me well enough that I know not to take him or most posters seriously. Especially whyen they aren't too complimentary Wink

Jake's sarcasm aside, his point is dead-on. If you run 30 seconds slower than your planned marathon pace (assuming your planned pace makes sense), you won't hit a wall at mile 22. After all, that's what ultra-runners do all the time.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Chris UK

I suppose the remark - "If you run really, really slow" irked me somewhat. I think there are plenty of people around that would like to run a marathon at 9:37 pace. My apologies for calling Jake an elite. Evil grin

3000 miles

My apologies for calling Jake an elite. Evil grin
                    Yes that was incorrect! Big grin By the way thanks for the encouragement.

backstrech. nice run. it looks like you've figure out the long training run. if you're feeling that good at the end, the next step could be to make it even more of a progressive. you may not need gels, but you'll probably feel pretty crappy at the end running harder (or during).. there are physiological reasons for gels (probably not in the qtys a lot of people consume) and you'll probably see why if you race a bit harder. it is nearly impossible to run at a hard rate for 26+ miles and not have the body reach for glycogen stores in the liver. therein lies the pain. you can choose to suffer through the pain and have to slow down or try to help your body maintain its effort with necessary calories. I don't take gels for training and only once for a marathon. I also am not working hard enough in the races. it really is important to practice calorie consumption if you want to go for a big PR. Congrats!
                      And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

seriously confused...
                        And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                        mikeymike

I know I shouldn't have run hard at the end but I was curious.
                          Why not?

Runners run

Thanks jscovill, so do you wait for the pain or do you just assume you should be taking a gel at x point during your race? Did you have to hit the wall once to learn , or are you going by, I should take something at mile 20, because that's what others do. By the way, I would go broke if I had to take gels every 20 miles, if it was possible to run your type of mileage. Just Phenominal man congrats, now you are an Elite Wink

Why not?
                              I've read the purpose of the long run is to run slow. Which I did up until the last 5km, when I tried to spend all I had.