HELP - I can use positive vibes! (Read 1605 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

There was a time when this seemed like a perfectly logical and well thought out idea. More on that later... Friday morning at 9AM Central time, the gun sounds and I will start running. Lots of stuff will happen after that, but basically, I will have to stop on Sunday morning at 9AM, cause they stop counting then. My first attempt at what should be my longest run EVER, for the most time on my feet EVER! Here's the website, if you're interested... http://www.ultracentric.net Please send positive vibes...Friday morning, during the day, in the evening and at night on Fri/Sat when you get up to pee, or check on the little ones, or shoo off the coyotes, or whatever...POSITIVE VIBES, PLEASE! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, MY! Shocked Shocked Shocked At least it's not a track? We'll be thinking about you!

Roads were made for journeys...

JakeKnight

Shocked (blink) Shocked (blink blink) Tight lipped Tight lipped Tight lipped Clearly you never sought that therapy I recommended, did you? Shocked (long pause as I sit here trying to come up with some words of encouragement that won't sound ridiculously trite) 48 hours, huh? Whassamatta? A 72 hour race too much for you? (still pondering) Okay. Here goes: Wow. The end. Good frickin' luck, crazy man. Thanks for putting my little run this weekend into perspective, and making me feel like a serious wimp. 50 miles? Sounds fun. 100 miles? Okay, cool. 24 hours? Nuts, but once you're doing 100, you're there anyway. But 48 hours? And you haven't even mentioned this? (another long pause) Can you tell that when I'm speechless I tend to babble to hide the speechlessness? It's only marginally effective. You probably figured that out. (another pause. Every time I start to type something, it begins with the word "WHY ..." And that doesn't seem helpful right now) Hey, here's a helpful suggestion: download the theme music on that website and run to it. It's groovy! (awe-stricken expletives deleted) Dude. Dude. There. That just about sums it up: Dude. Seriously. Dude. 48 hours. Dude. (It helps if you say it like Ashton Kutcher. Duuuuuuuude!) Dude. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Okay, a few actual questions/comments: 1) Got a crew? 2) Are you planning on taking any actual sleep breaks? 3) Got a run/walk strategy? 4) Is it on a 400/440 track, or what? (Nevermind. Just checked the site. A 2.4 mile loop, huh? And speaking of the site, am I the only one grooving to that techno beat? Oh, yeah. All we need is a disco ball and some overpriced drinks ...) 5) Got an idea how far you'll go? (Anyone want to bet on him? I've got my money on 150 miles, plus/minus 5) I repeat: duuuuuuude. I'll be sending you all sorts of positive vibes. Mostly me going "Thank God I'm not him!" But I'll think that in a very positive way. For what it's worth, when you finish I'll be right about at the halfway mark of my eensy teensy hill-covered monkey fest. So pass the baton to me. And trust me when I say that when I'm struggling up that @#%!$% of a hill at a mile 18, I'll be pondering the fact that - were I foolish enough - I could still have another 130 miles to go or so. And I'll feel much, much, much better. -------------------------------- Good luck to you, Lynn. Do me a favor and start giving us a little heads-up! For this, I might have made a trip to come watch. (Hey ... do they have a way to track runners on the site? Let me know. That would be cool.) Dude. Seriously. Can't even imagine. Can't wait to hear all about it. Good luck and God bless. You. Are. The. Man. Dude.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Shocked Shocked Shocked Good Luck!!! Will definetly be sending you lots of positive vibes!!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked *blink blink* is right! I am in awe of you Lynn! I can take the Saturday 7 to 8:30 AM shift of the good vibes crew, when I'll be doing my 10 miler in the trails. Good luck!
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
              Lynn, I'm seing a theme here. Can you run to the timing of the blinking eyes? Smile Let me help... Shocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Go get 'em! (Cheering from the safe distance of a 10.8 mile long run this weekend...)

Roads were made for journeys...

Cryptic

The positive vibes will be flowing. Let us know how it goes! I am very interested to hear the story.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We should seriously take shifts to light candles, drink beer, or whatever in honor of you, Lynn, that is amazing. I am SO glad I will be home all this weekend. You will defintely be in my thoughts from 10AM local time on Friday and for the subsequent 2 days. I'm hoping to run for maybe 90 minutes on Sat., so I will pretend I'm running with you and cheering you on as I go. I hope all goes well and you do a whole lotta loops (I should find a comparable loop to run my workout on!) in that time. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Shocked Clearly you never sought that therapy I recommended, did you? Shocked This IS my therapy, remember my sport is most other sport's punishment! 48 hours, huh? Whassamatta? A 72 hour race too much for you? Not a 72 hour option in this one. Besides, 72 hours would actually require some sleep breaks, 48 just might not:therefore!, 48 may be harder than 72 (that's EXACTLY the kind of logic that got me into this in the first place!) Hey, here's a helpful suggestion: download the theme music on that website and run to it. It's groovy! Whenever I hear that, I am afraid of what images might pop up on the screen Shocked Blush 1) Got a crew? Some of my family will stop by from time to time. DW is thinking of renting a cabin in a campground nearby. There are a lot of my running club members that will be volunteering at different times during the course of the weekend, so it will feel like "crew". I will also be able to park my Suburban right next to the course, so I can take advantage of all sorts of stuff that I will overpack. 2) Are you planning on taking any actual sleep breaks? Don't have plans to, but will stop if I feel too dead on my feet. If I can make it, I won't stop for sleep, as I am afraid I won't get back up, or will stiffen up too much. I'll have an air mattress in the back of the Suburban, just in case. 3) Got a run/walk strategy? Yep, run until I can't walk until I can, repeat. 4) Is it on a 400/440 track, or what? (Nevermind. Just checked the site. A 2.4 mile loop, huh? And speaking of the site, am I the only one grooving to that techno beat? Oh, yeah. All we need is a disco ball and some overpriced drinks ...) Dude, you're getting good at this! 5) Got an idea how far you'll go? (Anyone want to bet on him? I've got my money on 150 miles, plus/minus 5) Yep, but I will hold of on making predictions at this point... see http://www.runningahead.com/groups/gorilla/Forum/05468cd66dee4ea19428e5c8d890db18 I'll be sending you all sorts of positive vibes. Mostly me going "Thank God I'm not him!" But I'll think that in a very positive way. Thanks, man! Thanks everybody for all the positive vibes...I hope to post something on Sunday, maybe in Janell's "brag box", we'll see how much I feel like bragging. Not sure that I haven't gotten in over my head on this one, trying to make sure priorities are straight, but God has been berry, berry good to me thus far, hopefully for this event as well. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

An hour later and I'm still muttering "dude!" under my breath every few minutes. And for the record, "dude" is not generally a common part of my vocabulary. But it seems singularly well-suited to the occassion. Everything else that might fit just isn't appropriate for a family kinda crowd. But I'm thinkin' it. Dude. You really do need to start telling us this stuff a few months in advance. From the responses above, it looks like you just might have had a few people show up to keep you company. Maybe next time. That could be a lot of fun. (Especially how we'd do it in shifts, then return to a comfy lawnchair to drink beer and wave as you go by ...) Hey, is the 24-hour championship always there, or does it change locations? Or more to the point, is that 24/48 race always there? Because if it is, I wanna do it with you in a couple years. Seriously. But the 24. Not the 48. Cuz that's just nuts. Wink Dude. Seriously.

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey, is the 24-hour championship always there, or does it change locations? Or more to the point, is that 24/48 race always there? Because if it is, I wanna do it with you in a couple years. Seriously. But the 24. Not the 48. Cuz that's just nuts. Wink Dude. Seriously.
                        The UltraCentric has been held for at least 5 years now, but this is the first time is has hosted the 24 HR Championchip race. That moves around from place to place. The world 24 hour also moves around. Last year it was in Belgium, Japan the year before. This year it's in Alberta somewhere. The race is being held in a new location this year, in a park on a lake near the DFW airport. In previous years, it has been held on a local track. Come on down, you'll have a blast! Lynn B

JakeKnight

Come on down, you'll have a blast! Lynn B
                          I'm there. 2008 at the latest. Guaranteed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From the responses above, it looks like you just might have had a few people show up to keep you company. Maybe next time. That could be a lot of fun. (Especially how we'd do it in shifts, then return to a comfy lawnchair to drink beer and wave as you go by ...)
                            That would be about the bestest excuse for a RA get-together, if you ask me! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

Awesome, Lynn! (I'll add a few blinks... Shocked Shocked Shocked )It looks like you're in for one hell of an experience. You must be very excited! I get up to pee very frequently, so I'll be sure to send you some positive energy in the midnight hours... Big grin Good luck!
                              JakeKnight

It looks like you're in for one hell of an experience.
                                Emphasis on "hell." Dude. If only the Supreme Court would let us do to terrorists what Lynn's doing to his feet ... Tight lipped Speaking of torture ... for a laugh, go look at what Lynn's PAYING for this torture. Big grin Now that's funny. I would have taken a 2x4 to the bottoms of your feet for half that price.