HELP - I can use positive vibes! (Read 1605 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Way to go Lynn!! You've done it! Woot!

Now that was a bath...

Can't wait for an update from him!!! What an inspiration. Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Prophet!

Nice one Lynn...I'm hoping to channel your amazing feats in my upcoming training and races..
        bas

Lynn, There are still places in this world without internet access, and I spent my weekend in two of them (cottage, race). So after virtually seeing you off at the start I did not take part in the rest of this thread. But my thoughts were with you and your crazy but awesome race a lot of times. I would check the clock, figure out the time zone and say to myself: It's night now where he is. And I would say to you: Go Lynn! This afternoon at my 15K race I thought about how we were at that moment running our races at the same time and I tried to send you some of those positive vibes by running virtually together. When I was on the way home in the train I saw it was past 16.00 my time, 9:00 yours. Finish! Yess!! I'm proud of you for running this totally impossible 48 hours race. I think you deserve all the support you have got in this ultra-thread. Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Cryptic

update where is our update. I guess if I was lynn I would sleep for 48 straight hours just to recover. I guess I am high maintainence today Tongue
            RunningHammer

Maybe Lynn forgot to stop, he's still running ! Wink

Why is it sideways?

Great job, Lynn!
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope he has been babying himself in the last 24 hours--he certainly deserves some pampering! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Lynn: Hope you check in. A single sentence would be fine. I cannot fathom how your legs must feel at the moment. Thought about you yesterday. Actually told a bunch of people about you. (And for the record, they all agreed you're dangerously unbalanced. And that's from a bunch of marathoners!) Thought about you at 9:00 a.m. CST ... and as I was climbing one last stupid hill at mile 25.5, my only clear thought was: "if that old man can run 48 hours, you can get over one more hill ..." So check in, dammit. I doubt you feel like talking about running or thinking about running. So just tell us you're (mostly) alive. P.S. And I can't believe there are no results up at your race site yet. Your race director is no Trent. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

JakeKnight

FYI: Since I can't find this year's results - and Lynn is still in a coma - here's last years results. Note how many people actually tried to do 48 hours; and note how many kept going: http://www.multidays.com/html/results/ultracentric_results_05.htm

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

They're up: http://www.doitsports.com/newresults3/client/153747_181009_2006.html I was way off on my guess, but looks like our friend Lynn survived and ran an impressive... well... I shouldn't tell you. You'll have to go look for yourself. Tongue modified to add: By the way, I notice both 71 year-olds finished all 48 hrs. Wow. Boy, have I got something to shoot for!

Roads were made for journeys...

Cryptic

Unbelievable. Wow!

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow! You guys are amazing! I am overwhelmed with the outpouring of human spirit you have offered up during my race. You collectively made me laugh out loud, brought me to tears and gave me a huge sense of community with your posts. I am sorry I didn't check in yesterday, I selfishly spent most of the afternoon (got home about 1 pm) on the couch with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, red beans, cornbread, spinach, cake, ice cream...(and then I had lunch and dinner). You guys really rocked on Sunday morning, probably the best part of my weekend as I ran well from sunrise until the 9 am finish. I was way behind on miles, but somehow I picked up enough energy to get my rear in gear and RUN! I finished tied for 9th (out of 20 runners) with 117.05 miles. While I am disappointed with the distance, I am really pleased with how much running I was able to do on Sunday morning. I thought about you guys, particularly xjustrun155x (Mike) as the hours wore on. Mike, Friday night and Saturday night thoughts of your recent posts ran through my head over and over. I feel great, only a few "issues" with a couple of toes and sore calves. The sore calves are a real difference for me, as I typically have sore quads after long trail runs, not sore calves. I attribute this to my having walked a lot during the race. Friday was probably my hardest day, everything hurt. I don't think I took one single step without some pain, attributable mainly to problems with my toes/blisters early, then a few "compensation" issues with knees/hips/ankles, then a nagging achilles problem that took a lot of my energy in the form of worrying about a possible tear (sore, but much better today). I am not sure, but I think I was under 60 miles at sunrise on Saturday, probably at least 20 miles behind where I thought I would be. That was a huge mental setback that I had to deal with. I probably had at least 6 hours of "down time" during the first 24. I spent a lot more time sleeping than I thought I would. I "rationalized" this as I went, believing that when I wasn't moving well, it was better to get a little rest and come back strong rather than to keep on pounding when I felt so badly. I am convinced that IF I ever try another one of these and IF I am better prepared, I should be able to turn in 150 miles or more. As it turns out, only 4 runners were able to put in more than 150 miles. The guy that won did 183 miles and was an absolute machine! He actally went down for a couple of hours on Friday with dehydration and came back after addressing his problem. Upon his return, I told him it was good to see him back out there and he said "this is way better than lying on the floor of my tent in the fetal position"! Now, that's hard core! Another incredible man was a guy by the namd of Ed Rousseau. Ed is 67 and he turned in 166+ miles! I am not sure what he did on Saturday night, but he only took 3x15 minute breaks during the entire night on Friday. I could go on and on about amazing accomplishments. For the last hour of the race, they put us on a 1/4 mile circuit (a small circle at the end of the 2.4 mile course) to monitor the finish more closely. That was really cool, as we had hundreds of spectators (friends and family of all the runners) lining almost the entire loop. In the race, I was able not only to bond with other runners, but to bond with some of their crew (mostly spouses, family, etc) as well. These new "friends" turned into a ready-made fan club to cheer us on. One of the more memorable moments came right at the end when I was running what I knew would be my last 1/4 mile loop. I ran the last 200 yards or so with Dean Karnazes (who interrupted his run from NY to CA to come and run the 24 hour event) and we actually crossed the finish line side-by-side (me slightly in front) with dozens of cameras clicking! Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words. I did think about you during the race, wishing I could somehow get a post out here as to how I was doing. I wish I had thought of that and planned appropriately...oh well, maybe next time! I feel truly blessed to have such a great forum of friends. Results can be found at http://www.doitsports.com/results/page.tcl?id=153747 Have a great day! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...I can't even fathom moving that many miles in 2 days unless by car. You really ARE the man! Glad you are still in one piece and good spirits! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cryptic

You are amazing. Nothing I can say how mind boggling your accomplishment is to me. Congrats and I am glad you are doing well. What a rock star!