RA Meet-Up Race - who's in? (Read 736 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Muse is planning to come to MI for next Oct.'s Grand Rapids Marathon...it will be mine and backroadrunner's first. I know there were a few other MI folks who were considering this race, as well. There is also a wonderful HM, which I have now done twice and highly recommend. What do you all think...maybe we could get enough RA peeps out for this one and make it a real RA gathering? If we plan well in advance, perhaps we could get a block of inexpensive hotel rooms not too far from the race and/or plan on a pre-race dinner together. The race is generally the last Sunday of Oct., just a few days before Halloween.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sounds fun but I'm out. I'm looking to do Steamtown in the beginning of Oct and then heading to TN to do the Monkey in Nov.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Are you and Muse already signed up?
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you and Muse already signed up?
          I don't know when registration opens, but probably sometime in the Spring. This year they put a cap on the marathon of 1650 and it filled up before the race. The HM is 850 cap. I plan to register at the Riverbank Run expo in mid May, since it's $5 off. Come June the price starts to increase every couple of months. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds fun but I'm out. I'm looking to do Steamtown in the beginning of Oct and then heading to TN to do the Monkey in Nov.
            You could do the HM...it would be a good speed workout! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh...and awesome micro-brew beer, chili, and brats at the finish! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Sounds like fun! I've never been to Michigan! I'm in medical school, so I can't commit to anything that far in advance, but I'll know by mid-August what my schedule will look like. When did registration fill up this year?
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think registration hadn't filled up until after the Chicago Marathon mess. Lots of folks wanted a "do-over" in the Midwest.

~ Sarah Kay

*raises hand* I wanna be in!!!

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OMG, you guys don't know how excited I already am! Not only will this be my first marathon, I might be running it with a bunch of friends from my computer! Big grin And most of you would be at the finish to cheer my pokey butt on! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

Wow after reading a lot of the reviews, it sounds like a great fast marathon. Has some trails too which appeals to me. I havae 2 friends that are hope to BQ in 2008 and they are looking at Portland. Hmmmm, maybe I can change their mind. If not next year ZOoomie it sounds quite tempting and friendly for the future.
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                          OMG, you guys don't know how excited I already am! Not only will this be my first marathon, I might be running it with a bunch of friends from my computer! Big grin And most of you would be at the finish to cheer my pokey butt on! Big grin k
                          It seems like so long away from now but with how fast time has been going it's best to plan way ahead. Tonight or tomorrow I'll be working on my training plan and calendar of vacations and such for next year. I am going to write this date down and see how possible it looks. Scott already ruled out CA in Feb, he can't possibly say no to me twice (and live to tell about it Evil grin - without lots and lots and lots of guilt that is). Big grin

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow after reading a lot of the reviews, it sounds like a great fast marathon. Has some trails too which appeals to me.
                            It's really a beautiful course. Granted, I have only seen half of it, but what I've seen is really beautiful...quite serene. The only downside is that much of the course is inaccessible to spectators, so it can be pretty quiet once the full and halves branch off. After that 8.5 mile mark when it splits is when I was really wishing I had my iPod USATF event...it doesn't sound like the iPod ban was enforced, but I wasn't about to take my chances or be a rule bucker). For the last few miles it was pretty much me and the sound of my plodding feet. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm thinkin that RockenMama has a better idea for a reunion location...sometime in November. Just sayin'

Lazy idiot

I'm thinkin that RockenMama has a better idea for a reunion location...sometime in November. Just sayin'
                                I'm thinking I might be there in November.

Tick tock