Time for a Triathlon? (Read 1769 times)

Go Pre!

My legs were still sore this morning from Sunday's HM, so I decided to hit the pool for the first time in a while. It was also the first swim in a looooong time where I really tried to do steady lengths for aerobic fitness as opposed to just floating around aimlessly Smile I must say that since running, my fitness has improved to a point where my dislike of swimming has dissipated somewhat. I may even consider a try-tri! Thats said, quads feel a bit better and I will be back on the road tomoroow morning Wink Dave
      Go for it Daddyo. In a sprint you are out of the water before you know it.
      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
        I say do it! Personally, I love training for the multi-sport, it's easier on the joints and seems to get me into shape faster than just running alone. If you do it, be sure to do lots of brick workouts (bike-to run transitions). And if the swim is in the ocean or a lake, be sure to do a couple of practice swims there first, a lot of peopple get overwhelmed during their first open-water swim. Good luck!

Go Pre!

thanks! we have a family place on a lake, not from from where the actual Sprints are held, so Iwould have plenty of true swim training... hmmmm .... Maybe next summer!

shonan marathon, girl

Go do it! I recommend several practice swims in a pool, lake or ocean -- same as race conditions. I have my next 51.5k short race coming up on June 9th. I haven't been out in the ocean yet, but plan to do one swim prior to the race. At my first race, the waves were over 2 meters high which would scare most people. A 51.5k triathlon is much easier than running a marathon in my personal opinion. You are not just running for 4 or 5 hours, and your body is getting a more balanced workout -- much less fatigue and damage from a triathlon as compared to a marathon race. The problem with triathlon racing is the expense of entry fees, buying a decent road bike, wetsuit, and other equipment. Also more time is required to train for swimming, biking & running. I can't imagine myself just running anymore, biking and swimming is so much fun.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

A 51.5k triathlon is much easier than running a marathon in my personal opinion. You are not just running for 4 or 5 hours, and your body is getting a more balanced workout -- much less fatigue and damage from a triathlon as compared to a marathon race.
              very definitely! I don't think standard distance tri's even begin to compare to marathon exertion. In fact I'd probably go as far as to say that due to the change of discipline even 1/2IM distance doesn't compare to a marathon in terms of the fatigue and damage you do to yourself.
                I think you should do it! Even if you only do one, it would be worth it. Smile

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

go for it. they are a blast and are very addicting. some generic training plans for a sprint are at triathlete.com, trinewbies.com, and trifuel.com most plans are for 12 weeks but you are at HM endurance level now think you can do one this summer no problem.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Rynamite

Definitely go for it. I did my first sprint tri this past spring, and I LOVED it. I can't wait to do another one. I'm kinda backwards from you. The tri got me into running, instead of the other way around.
                      Go for it! I've been doing tris since 2005 and I love them. They're actually what got me into running. I think cross-training helps me be less sore. I usually do swims the day after my long runs and they are great as active recovery.
                        I've signed up for my first triathlon next year - the NJ Triathlon at the end of July.
                        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                          I'm interesting in doing one of the shorter Tinman triathlons. If I ever get closer to work, I might take up cycling. I've been looking at Specialized Crosstrails Hybrid cycle. I am not involved in cycling or swimming now.

Vim

What I find funny is my mind tends to disassociate triathlons from running!!! Confused

Vim

GP160

I've signed up for my first triathlon next year - the NJ Triathlon at the end of July.
                              See you there....should be a fun event! Mercer county park looks beatiful.
                              Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                                See you there....should be a fun event! Mercer county park looks beatiful.
                                Cool. Anyone else from RA doing the NJ Tri?
                                "If I control myself, I control my destiny."