Net calories and weightloss question (Read 321 times)

DoppleBock

Base = amount you can eat without any weight loss.

At 230# my base amount I use is 2400.

at 200# I use a base of 2200.

At 230 I am 230/169 = 1.36 times you weight.  105 x 1.36 = 143 (I use 140)

at 153/169 = 90% your weight, so 105 x .9 = 94.5 ( I told her 90)

I guess it looks to me like our math per mile is exactly the same ??

The only thing I think we are different on is you use a base of 1700 ~ I think you could take more than 1700 without exercise and not gain or lose weight.  I would guess you are closer to 2,000 breakeven (breakeven = base)

Really?? When I need to lose weight (like right now) I count calories, with a base of 1700, with net 105 per mile. I weigh 169. That gets me about a pound / week, when I am diligent.

At 153, I'd be surprised if 1800 would result in much loss.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

By a base of 1700, I meant that's my baseline calorie budget, before adjusting for miles run, that causes me to lose about a pound / week. So it would be more like 2200 to not gain or lose.

dirtroadrunner

With my formulas, you should not be below 1500 calories if want be active and nutritionally sound. I know you are burning off more than that each day. If you go too much below that, you will mess up your metabolism. I have no problem if you want to eat 1000 calories every 3-4 days for just one day. You should be able to lose weight at 1500 calories but you need to be patient. You want good weight loss and not just scale weight which can vary daily. Keep doing what you are doing eating good food but trying to get protein at each meal. Protein elevates metabolism during digestion much more than carbs/fats. Take advantage of thermic effect of food.

3 suggestions.

1. Do intervals. In addition to running (or during your runs), go on a cardio machine, warm up 5-7 min and then do 5 X 30 sec at an extremely hard effort or all out and then recover 30-60 sec.

2. Incorporate some total body wt training using multi joint movements with and be sure to include either lunges or some type of squat. Even 20 min 3 X per week will have significant benefits for metabolism and the look of your body much more than Yoga will (BTW, I have nothing against Yoga). Wt. training changes "the look" of your body in a positive way.

3. Drink a decent amount of water but don't saturate yourself. KEY - drink ice water. Your body will burn more calories drinking ICE water than normal room temp.

Is the 1500 net calories? What I've been doing the past couple weeks is having 1400 net calories. So when I run and do other forms of exercise I make sure to add more food those days. So I always have a base of 1400. Not sure if this is correct and looks like I  need to increase it according to everyones advice.

dirtroadrunner

Are you measuring your serving sizes accurately? I know personally, I have to be really meticulous about that. Are you lifting weights? I know you said you need to do more "toning" but there is no such thing as toning--there is only building muscle and losing fat. If you focus on building muscle, too, you will burn more calories at rest. good luck, and good job so far!

I do measure! Even use a scale.  And I guess my toning I mean weight lifting Smile more muscle would be a great thing! And thank you!

dirtroadrunner

You need a minimum of 1800 calories/day with breastfeeding. Your body will hold on to the fat with everything it has to keep supplying your child proper nutrition and I would say if you are not eating enough, it will not help you lose weight. Your child's brain also needs fat, so you should be eating more than 1200 cal/day, that is not enough fat for your child's brain growth. I have 5 super smart kids who never had an oz of formula in their life.

I breastfed all my kids for 1 year or over. II cannot lose past a certain point when I breastfeed. Some people lose tons of weight breastfeeding and some of us unfortunate people, keep it on.   I would work on changing up my fitness routine, like taking a Turbo class or weight lifting. Maybe focus on toning your upper body right now and getting enough calories for your child is the most important thing.

I wasn't sure I needed that many extra calories since we are down to 3-4 feedings/day and whatever she decides at night. She does eat well and eats full fat foods (loves avocados) however she will only drink water.  she is my 3rd baby to breastfeed and the longest. Last one was 14 months.

I have been thinking that maybe I have lost all I'm going too until we wean. And if so that's fine.  I am definitely going to work on building up some muscle. Unfortunately we do not have any classes close by. I live in the heart of rural America! But I do have dvds and weights.

SMART Approach

Is the 1500 net calories? What I've been doing the past couple weeks is having 1400 net calories. So when I run and do other forms of exercise I make sure to add more food those days. So I always have a base of 1400. Not sure if this is correct and looks like I  need to increase it according to everyones advice.

I did mean net calories.  Again, absolute minimum. Hard to believe you can't drop fat at that level or 1400 calories.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

dirtroadrunner

I did mean net calories.  Again, absolute minimum. Hard to believe you can't drop fat at that level or 1400 calories.

Great! I will gladly add more Smile  not looking to starve me or my little one!  And I also think I will put the scale in the closet for a while. My family has type 2 diabetes running rampant in it so that is one reason I really got after losing weight besides wanting to be healthy in general. I know I am out of the woods for that.

dirtroadrunner

Out of the woods for the diabetes Wink

Further to the point about ice water made by Tchuck, it is easy to calculate how much difference this makes.

1) It takes 1 calorie to heat 1 cc (mililitre) of water by 1 degree Celsius. In food we actually are dealing with kcal, so 1 foocalorie will heat 1 litre of water by 1 degree.

2) An 8 oz glass of water is about 240 ml. so 4 glasses is approximately a litre, a reasonable amount to drink in a day (more than I drink but if you live somewhere hot or humid perhaps less than you drink.)

3) Your body temperature is about 98.6F or around 31C, so to heat a litre of water from 1C, near freezing, to 31C, would take 30 food calories.

4) If you drink water at room temperature, 21C then you use only 10 food calories to heat it.

5) So the difference in calorie use between drinking ice water and drinking water at room temperature is about 20 calories per litre or 5 calories per 8oz glass. QED.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

dirtroadrunner

Further to the point about ice water made by Tchuck, it is easy to calculate how much difference this makes.

1) It takes 1 calorie to heat 1 cc (mililitre) of water by 1 degree Celsius. In food we actually are dealing with kcal, so 1 foocalorie will heat 1 litre of water by 1 degree.

2) An 8 oz glass of water is about 240 ml. so 4 glasses is approximately a litre, a reasonable amount to drink in a day (more than I drink but if you live somewhere hot or humid perhaps less than you drink.)

3) Your body temperature is about 98.6F or around 31C, so to heat a litre of water from 1C, near freezing, to 31C, would take 30 food calories.

4) If you drink water at room temperature, 21C then you use only 10 food calories to heat it.

5) So the difference in calorie use between drinking ice water and drinking water at room temperature is about 20 calories per litre or 5 calories per 8oz glass. QED.

Very informative! Thank you!