Quick Question (Read 844 times)

ballermatt7198

Hey, I have a question. I am only 13 and today I ran about 3.75 miles. I live in Cincinnati, Oh and it was fairly hard b/c it was about 100 degrees outside. I run about an 7 and a half to 8 min. mile. I was wondering how to decrease my time.
      Hey Matt, 7 1/2 to an 8 minute mile sounds pretty fast to me Wink From my personal experience, increasing mileage - slowly - has been the best way to decrease time. Without seeing your log, though, it's hard to give advice. And make sure you stay hydrated!!!
      2009: BQ?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, what Trishie says is true! A year ago I had only been running about 4 months. I seem to recall that my average pace was ~11.5 minutes/mile (I was probably close to 13 minutes/mile when I first started at age 33). Now I'm in the 10-11 minute/mile range, depending upon how far I go (I rarely run less than 4 miles, but it took a while to get to that point). I haven't really done much speedwork and only in the last few months. Just carefully increasing my mileage by no more than 10% from week to week and then consistenly running year-round has really been key for me. Now I'm working more on my form and speedwork, so I hope to consistenly be under 10 minutes for longer distances in the future. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

Zoom-Zoom, You're from Montague?!?!?!? I grew up in Muskegon! Big grin I live in Brigton now, but I was surprised to see someone from near my old stomping grounds!!! Most of my family still lives in the Muskegon area, and my brother is up in Hesperia. Oh, how I miss the lake too...it's the one thing that I truly regret leaving behind... No A couple of friends and I are planning on doing the Grand Haven triathalon next year, as well as the Seaway Run 15k. Sorry, I didn't mean to ThreadJack ya, ballermatt... Everthing I've been reading says you've got to 1) get your mileage/week up (no idea how much you're running now) and 2) get some speedwork in (tempo, fartlek, interval runs)... With the speedwork, you should prolly get some advice from one of the more experienced runners on how to safely incorporate it into your schedule. To help that discussion forward, how many miles are you running per week? How many times per week are you running? Do you have a goal pace that you want to hit? A goal distance?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

One thing to remember too is that you can't always try and run fast every day. If you do try and do that then you may end up getting hurt in the long run and that will set you back a bit. Going slow actually can help you get faster in the long run because each different speed you run trains different parts of the body different ways. Make sure you mix up your runs. Do some faster runs, some slow easy runs, And if you don't feel like running some day, that's fine too. You are young. Make sure that you enjoy what you are doing and let the times and distances and all that start to take care of themselves as you continue to grow and mature and get bigger and stronger. Cool
            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom-Zoom, You're from Montague?!?!?!? I grew up in Muskegon! Big grin I live in Brigton now, but I was surprised to see someone from near my old stomping grounds!!! Most of my family still lives in the Muskegon area, and my brother is up in Hesperia. Oh, how I miss the lake too...it's the one thing that I truly regret leaving behind... No A couple of friends and I are planning on doing the Grand Haven triathalon next year, as well as the Seaway Run 15k.
              The Seaway 5k was my very first race last year--this year I did the 15k and loved it, except they didn't have the miles marked, so I thought I was going faster than I was...I would have killed for a Garmin! Wink You should come do some races over here--Joni/Sockoni is in Whitehall, Andrea/shyrunner07 is in Spring Lake, and Eryn/backroadrunner is more the middle of the state, but does races over here, too (when she's not injured). Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Most important advice I think would be don't freak out about not dropping time. You'll get there...and you have plenty of time left to train hard. I started running when I was 13 too...and at about the same levels you are now. Now my mile PR is 5:46, so fast times will come with time.