Swim Workout -- Logistical Question (Read 1571 times)

dork.major dork.

Okay. This may seem silly, but how do you take a specific workout with you to the pool? Do you memorize it? Do you have a waterproof card? (For the treadmill I just write it on a postit and put it somewhere on the display thing... but I feel like a postit would disintegrate... Thoughts? Thanks!!

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Slo

I have a laminating machine here at work Big grin Mostly though, I keep my workouts simple. Open with a warm-up then Drills. Mons Technique, Weds Kicks and repeats, Fridays distance and Technique. My workouts are usually 1hr until I get closer to my half Iron, then I will start 4 days/week with at least 2 days being 1 1/2hr. That's when I need to start writing down my workouts.
      jeffdonahue

Okay. This may seem silly, but how do you take a specific workout with you to the pool? Do you memorize it? Do you have a waterproof card? (For the treadmill I just write it on a postit and put it somewhere on the display thing... but I feel like a postit would disintegrate... Thoughts? Thanks!!
        You can buy laminating sheets at Staples pretty cheap. Alternatively - get some packing tape from your office and tape over it. But, On the cheap - stick in a ziplock baggie and that will work fine too. But, as SLO said, keep your workouts pretty simple - just know that today is going to be 100s day or 400s day or even ladder day and it should be pretty easy to remember. Best of luck Jeff
          So people bring cards with their workouts when they run on treadmills? What about at the track or on the roads? And how complicated are these workouts that you need to write them down? I'm genuinely curious--it would never occur to me to have to write down a workout in advance but then my workouts are pretty simple.

Runners run

Slo

Very good questions and mostly depends on your goals. Most people here I'm assuming are swimming for distance (Triathlons) and not doing Individual Meds, relays, 150 yds, etc so there isn't much to gain in working on several different strokes. Just your frontcrawl and what ever stroke you wish to use for a rest stroke. Swimming laps is also like running a treadmill so having a avariety helps with your sanity too. Here is a very typical sample workout for two different distances. http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/SwimWorkout02.html Unlike running, you get faster swimming by a) technique and b) practice swimming. fast Lots of short distance repeats. MTA......Sorry Mike, I see you were talking about the track and not the pool.......
              MTA......Sorry Mike, I see you were talking about the track and not the pool.......
              Still interesting to see. I haven't done any swim workout since I was on a swim team in middle school and then I just did what the coaches said.

Runners run

dork.major dork.

So people bring cards with their workouts when they run on treadmills? What about at the track or on the roads? And how complicated are these workouts that you need to write them down? I'm genuinely curious--it would never occur to me to have to write down a workout in advance but then my workouts are pretty simple.
                OP here: Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go the packing tape route. It's not that my swim workouts are complicated per se, just that I'm doing a C25k-esque thing in the pool, which means doing the amt. they tell me to do instead of how much I want (otherwise I'll over do it... knowing me) Mikey: I find treadmills incredibly boring. I have taken to using the treadmill workouts on Runners World (see link below) so ... yeah. I use postits for that. I wouldn't if I were going on the road. I'd just fartlek by feel or plan a route with hills. http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-6-0-2,00.html?ext=Y&videolink=http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1243489102/bclid1504353741/bctid1373284230

Why is it sideways?

When I go to the pool--not often lately--I write my workout on a post-it note or a small piece of paper and plaster it to the side of the pool wall. It doesn't have to be sticky; just dip it in the water and it'll stick right there. I've found that breaking the swimming up into a bunch of different sets, etc. Really helps with the boredom and gives a sense of progress that turn after turn after turn after turn does not.
                  jeffdonahue

Plus, there are a LOT of different stroke technique drills that you can work on (Nose to navel, finger tip drag, catchup, shoulder rotation, etc...). I was a competitive swimmer for a long time and I used to write down my workouts because I always had specific technique drills that I wanted to work on. Writing them down made sure I didnt forget them, or the purpose of the workout.
                    T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I usually write my swim workouts in ball point pen on a piece of tablet paper, say 4" by 3". When I get to the pool, I wet the paper and stick it to my water bottle, which I leave at one end of the pool. I can refer to the paper between reps and simply throw it away after I'm done. Nothing to it.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

OP-what is the program you're using? I'd be interested in a C25K-esque swim program.
                        2009 Goals:
                        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                        Run a 10K
                        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                        Complete my first Sprint Tri

Supa Dupa Fly

like others mentioned...we always write the workout on paper, dip the paper in the water and stick it to the wall. MTA - you can always xerox it if you're concerned about running ink...
                          ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
                            Mikey: I find treadmills incredibly boring. I have taken to using the treadmill workouts on Runners World (see link below) so ... yeah. I use postits for that. I wouldn't if I were going on the road. I'd just fartlek by feel or plan a route with hills. http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-6-0-2,00.html?ext=Y&videolink=http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1243489102/bclid1504353741/bctid1373284230
                            Good to know. I'm actually picking up a cheapo used treadmill tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be looking for ways to break up the monotony. I've been thinking of workouts in my head like watching a college basketball game and running 5k pace for every commercial break and running tempo pace for the entire half time etc. Too bad I waited until the worst of winter was (hopefully) over to get a 'mill but it will be good to have...until I break it.

Runners run

Sometimes I do write them down when running on a TM...on days when I decided to do speed running or other types of speed work. On those days I will write down something like: 4x400 @ 7.3 TM (8:12 Road Pace) 2X400 @ 8.0 TM (7:30 Road Pace) 1X1600 @ 7.0 TM (8:34 Road Pace) 3 miles comfortable easy pace And then check them off as I run them (so I dont miss a few or run too many)......otherwise, I get down there on my TM and cant remember the speeds or distances that I want to run) or how many times I have done any run...... Course Im 56 now -- cant count on those damaged brain cells like some people can.../ Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

dork.major dork.

Jenner, this is the program I'm using: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html