Am I running too fast? (Read 1146 times)

(I know, I'm a chatty cathy today Blush ) Am I doing my base/ easy runs at too fast of a pace? I don't FEEL like I'm going out too fast --- I feel comfortable, at ease ... but I've read that you should do your easy runs at 1-2 min slower than your MP (which would be closer to 9:30-10:00 for me).
    2009: BQ?
      I thought it was 30 sec. over MP or 2 min. over 5k race pace depending what you are training for. Use the slower time when in doubt. In my case it's the same. 9:40

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

SMART Approach

I think generally most of your runs should be around 2 min slower than your current 5K race pace or approximately 1 min slower than your current marathon pace condition. If you broaden it, 1:30-2:30 below current 5K race pace. Slower if a recovery run. When training for 10Ks or especially half marathons, I like to do my long runs occasionally at 1:30 below 5K pace and will consider it a work out then or as race approaches I may push long run pace just a bit vs. offseason. Also, depends on your other "work outs" within the week. Some do "2 work outs" in addition to long run. Then I would not push long run pace. Just go easy. The key is that you need to get your "work outs" in twice per week or once or whatever your plan is and then go easy the rest of the week. You generally progress from those key work outs and the other miles keep you fit and strong and help you recover from "the work outs". If your normal runs feel easy, maybe your conditioning is better than you think????? What % of max HR are these runs. 70-75% of max is a good rule to follow on most of your runs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Easy, or general aerobic (GA), training pace should be 1-2 minutes/mile slower than 10k race pace, not marathon pace....or about 30-90 sec/mile slower than MP. For details, see http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id183.html Or you can use the McMillan calculator at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm to determine GA paces from a marathon time.
            Oh okay, thanks guys. My 10K pace is about 7:45-8:00, so running at about a 9 min mile is right for me. Thanks for the input!
            2009: BQ?

SMART Approach

Oh okay, thanks guys. My 10K pace is about 7:45-8:00, so running at about a 9 min mile is right for me. Thanks for the input!
              9:00 min mile would be on the fast end. 9:00 - 9:30 is great for most of your runs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Hawt and sexy

I am usually about 2 minutes slower than my marathon pace for training runs. But then, I am a glutton for punishment. It really depends on what you are training for and what stage you are in at the moment. I am basebuilding for my next marathon. Therefore I am going uberslow. If I was peaking for a 5k, that might be different. But in all honesty, it is not that hard to figure out. Run at a pace where you can do the same workout again when you are done. There, that's an easy day. Run at a pace where you can run again tomorrow. There, that's a good goal, run to recover enough to do it again. This is not rocket science. When it doubt though, slow down. Ask Long Run Nick. He knows a ton. Nobby has some good advice too. If all else fails, just run.

I'm touching your pants.

Craig

Here is a great pace calculator and race time predictor. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm Plug in a recent race that you think you ran your current potential. There is also lots of great training info in the articles on the site.

Slow-smooth-fast

(I know, I'm a chatty cathy today Blush ) Am I doing my base/ easy runs at too fast of a pace? I don't FEEL like I'm going out too fast --- I feel comfortable, at ease ... but I've read that you should do your easy runs at 1-2 min slower than your MP (which would be closer to 9:30-10:00 for me).
                    Hey trishie, have you not thought about going down the Heart rate path. Since beginning I have not looked back. Then you at least know how hard, or,( how not so hard as it can be when you begin) to work. Look at my progress at my maximum heart rate. These are runs done under My maximum aerobic Function. In the range of 152-157 normally. You can see how my pace has improved in a mere 5 weeks. I am now able to go faster at the same heart rate. SO, when I eventually stop getting any faster I will introduce strength and sped work etc, and then put it all to the test.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

McMillan suggests the following based on your marathon PR: Recovery Jogs 10:25 to 10:55 Long Runs 9:25 to 10:25 Easy Runs 9:25 to 9:55

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Dave

Trishie, You seem to be a great candidate for a heart rate monitor. I'm not a slave to mine but I do use it as a guide for my pace and to confirm stuff like the McMillan recommended paces. It also helps me track my progress as my pace goes down at the same heart rate level. My easy run training pace used to be in around mid 8's before I got the monitor. I slowed it down all the way to 10:30 (still not as slow as if I had strictly followed MAF) and it is now back down in the high 8's or low 9's depending on the day. If its windy or hot outside, or I just feel lousy, my HR is usually elevated and it reminds me to slow down and not push it. Other days I ignore it and just run (my last long run is a good example). I do think you're easy runs could be a bit easier though. Don't expect results as fast as Eddy though. He's a freak of nature Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr R

Pace and heart rate are important for workouts, but for easy/recovery runs, you should really go by perceived exertion. Some days, you need to take it easy because you thrashed your legs the night before; other days, you can do your easy run at a fairly high aerobic pace. When you're not doing a workout at a prescribed pace, just run the way you feel: quick when you feel good, slow when you feel sore and tired. I believe in basing easy pace off of your periodization, also. During base training, it's a good idea to keep the pace fairly brisk on your easy runs. You're able to do this because you're not doing killer workouts. During your special/specific prep periods, it makes sense to back off the pace and mileage of your easy runs so that you can focus on really nailing your key workouts. Going off of MP is also tricky, because MP is a very different animal as you become better trained. Less experienced/slower runners tend to have a marathon pace that is very close to their easy aerobic pace. More experienced runners have MPs that are not sustainable on a daily basis because the pace would do too much damage to soft tissues.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

What % of max HR are these runs. 70-75% of max is a good rule to follow on most of your runs.
                            I used to run my easy runs at around this value. I was one of the MAF runners from CoolRunning. A couple months ago I calculated my targets on McMillan Running and, based on a recent MP of 8:36, came up with an easy pace of 9:09 - 9:39 and long run 9:09-10:09. My Heart rate, however, is now in the 80-85% range for these runs depending on the terrain / hills. I also live at altitude. Anyhow, I believe strongly in monitoring my HR for feedback and improvement. My performance has improved and my HR has not changed dramatically. At what point do you truly begin using anaerobic function vs. aerobic? FYI my HRmax is 192 (which is higher than equations predict if that matters).

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Dave

Going off of MP is also tricky, because MP is a very different animal as you become better trained. Less experienced/slower runners tend to have a marathon pace that is very close to their easy aerobic pace. More experienced runners have MPs that are not sustainable on a daily basis because the pace would do too much damage to soft tissues.
                              That rings absolutely true to me. At this point in my training, running long run at marathon pace + 2 minutes seems kind of silly as confirmed by my HRM as only about 60% of my max. As my pace improves and my MP goes down, it seems to make more sense. McMillan seems to give me the best estimates for now and aligns with what the HRM is telling me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Scout7

If they feel comfortable, then no, you're probably going out just fine.