Best. Song. Ever. (Read 870 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality Open your eyes, Look up to the skies and see, I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy Because I'm easy come, easy go, Little high, little low Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me Mama, just killed a man, Put a gun against his head Pulled my trigger, now he's dead Mama, life had just begun But now I've gone and thrown it all away Mama, ooh, Didn't mean to make you cry If I'm not back again this time tomorrow carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters Too late, my time has come Sends shivers down my spine, body's aching all the time Goodbye, ev'rybody, I've got to go Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth Mama, ooh, I don't want to die I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all I see a little silhouetto of a man Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very fright'ning me (Galileo.) Galileo. (Galileo.) Galileo, Galileo figaro Magnifico. I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me He's just a poor boy from a poor family Spare him his life from this monstrosity Easy come, easy go, will you let me go Bismillah! No, we will not let you go (Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go (Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go (Let me go.) Will not let you go (Let me go.) Will not let you go. (Let me go.) Ah No, no, no, no, no, no, no. (Oh mama mia, mama mia.) Mama mia, let me go Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye So you think you can love me and leave me to die Oh, baby, can't do this to me, baby Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here Nothing really matters, Anyone can see Nothing really matters Nothing really matters to me Any way the wind blows ~~~~~ Though Styx' "Renegade" seriously rocks, too. Tommy Shaw was cool...Dennis DeYoung--not so much (except for Mr. Roboto).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Greatest song ever? It's right up there. The lyrics don't do it justice.
      Though Styx' "Renegade" seriously rocks, too. Tommy Shaw was cool...Dennis DeYoung--not so much (except for Mr. Roboto).
      I think the theater was really DeYoung's true calling. I saw him as Pilate in a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar and he was excellent. I can't dispute your choice, but I offer two alternatives: Yesterday All my troubles seemed so far away Now it looks as though they're here to stay Oh, I believe In yesterday Suddenly I'm not half the man I used to be There's a shadow hanging over me Oh, yesterday Came suddenly Why she Had to go I don't know She wouldn't say I said Something wrong now I long For yesterday Yesterday Love was such an easy game to play Now I need a place to hide away Oh, I believe In yesterday And... Imagine there's no Heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will be as one Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can No need for greed or hunger A brotherhood of man Imagine all the people Sharing all the world You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the theater was really DeYoung's true calling. I saw him as Pilate in a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar and he was excellent. I can't dispute your choice, but I offer two alternatives:
        I love your second one. One of the greatest songs ever, for certain. I have heard that DDY was great in JCS. I'd believe it. He had a good voice, but some of the shit he wrote for Styx was WAY too damned cheesy a la easy listening garbage. There are a LOT of songs of his that I skip right over on their greatest hits album. k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Would Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy" be a bad choice here? Modified to add: while songs like "Don't Let it End" are indeed amazingly cheesy, Dennis DeYoung is surprisingly cool. I saw him solo a couple years back here in Nashville, front row tickets, his almost 60 year old wife singing back-up .... and it was maybe the best show I ever saw. His voice is amazing and he puts on a helluva a show. But yeah ... he was definitely born for Broadway. I'd sell Trent's left nut for him to tour with the rest of the band. Modified again to add: DeYoung. With Shaw. Not Trent with Shaw. I don't wanna see that.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Would Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy" be a bad choice here?
            There are no bad choices, only bad people making them... Wink Then there's this one, which I can't believe I didn't think of right away. Way overplayed, but a treat if you haven't heard it in a while. There's a lady who's sure All that glitters is gold And shes buying a stairway to heaven. When she gets there she knows If the stores are all closed With a word she can get what she came for. Ooh, ooh, and shes buying a stairway to heaven. Theres a sign on the wall But she wants to be sure cause you know sometimes words have two meanings. In a tree by the brook Theres a songbird who sings, Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven. Ooh, it makes me wonder, Ooh, it makes me wonder. Theres a feeling I get When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving. In my thoughts I have seen Rings of smoke through the trees, And the voices of those who standing looking. Ooh, it makes me wonder, Ooh, it really makes me wonder. And its whispered that soon If we all call the tune Then the piper will lead us to reason. And a new day will dawn For those who stand long And the forests will echo with laughter. If theres a bustle in your hedgerow Dont be alarmed now, Its just a spring clean for the may queen. Yes, there are two paths you can go by But in the long run Theres still time to change the road youre on. And it makes me wonder. Your head is humming and it wont go In case you dont know, The pipers calling you to join him, Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, And did you know Your stairway lies on the whispering wind. And as we wind on down the road Our shadows taller than our soul. There walks a lady we all know Who shines white light and wants to show How evrything still turns to gold. And if you listen very hard The tune will come to you at last. When all are one and one is all To be a rock and not to roll. And shes buying a stairway to heaven.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I love you. You love me. We're a happy fa-ma-lee. With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you. Won't you say you love. me. too. /bow

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I love you. You love me. We're a happy fa-ma-lee. With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you. Won't you say you love. me. too.
                Lank, your approval rating was extremely high after the Cinemax crack yesterday in The Swamp, but it dropped right down to Cheney levels after putting that earworm in my head. Wink

JakeKnight

Hard to top Stairway. I think its massive airplay does make it lose a lot of respect. I remember the first few times I heard it. It's a masterpiece. It's only after the 37,000th time that it loses a little luster. Blue Oyster Cult? "Don't Fear the Reaper" is one of my all-time faves, and that's even before you toss in the whole cowbell thing.

Kirsten- that song is awesome but what about Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - Meatloaf? I. Paradise Boy: I remember every little thing As if it happened only yesterday Parking by the lake And there was not another car in sight And I never had a girl Looking any better than you did And all the kids at school They were wishing they were me that night And now our bodies are oh so close and tight It never felt so good, it never felt so right And we're glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife C'mon! Hold on tight! C'mon! Hold on tight! Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night I can see paradise by the dashboard light Girl: Ain't no doubt about it We were doubly blessed Cause we were barely seventeen And we were barely dressed Ain't no doubt about it Baby got to go and shout it Ain't no doubt about it We were doubly blessed Boy: Cause we were barely seventeen And we were barely dressed Baby doncha hear my heart You got it drowning out the radio I've been waiting so long For you to come along and have some fun And I gotta let ya know No you're never gonna regret it So open up your eyes I got a big surprise It'll feel all right Well I wanna make your motor run And now our bodies are oh so close and tight It never felt so good, it never felt so right And we're glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife C'mon! Hold on tight! C'mon! Hold on tight! Though it's cold and lonley in the deep dark night I can see paradise by the dashboard light Paradise by the dashboard light You got to do what you can And let Mother Nature do the rest Ain't no doubt about it We were doubly blessed Cause we were barely seventeen And we were barely-- We're gonna go all the way tonight We're gonna go allt he way An tonight's the night... Radio Broadcast: Ok, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker going here, two down, nobody on, no score, bottom of the ninth, there's the wind-up and there it is, a line shot up the middle, look at him go. This boy can really fly! He's rounding first and really turning it on now, he's not letting up at all, he's gonna try for second; the ball is bobbled out in center, and here comes the throw, and what a throw! He's gonna slide in head first, here he comes, he's out! No, wait, safe--safe at second base, this kid really makes things happen out there. Batter steps up to the plate, here's the pitch-- he's going, and what a jump he's got, he's trying for third, here's the throw, it's in the dirt-- safe at third! Holy cow, stolen base! He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost daring him to try and pick him off. The pitcher glance over, winds up, and it's bunted, bunted down the third base line, the suicide squeeze in on! Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close, here's the throw, there's the play at the plate, holy cow, I think he's gonna make it! II. Let Me Sleep On It Girl: Stop right there! I gotta know right now! Before we go any further--! Do you love me? Will you love me forever? Do you need me? Will you never leave me? Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life? Will you take me away and will you make me your wife? Do you love me!? Will you love me forever!? Do you need me!? Will you never leave me!? Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life!? Will you take me away and will you make me your wife!? I gotta know right now Before we go any further Do you love me!!!? Will you love me forever!!!? Boy: Let me sleep on it Baby, baby let me sleep on it Let me sleep on it And I'll give you my answer in the morning Let me sleep on it Baby, baby let me sleep on it Let me sleep on it And I'll give you my answer in the morning Let me sleep on it Baby, baby let me sleep on it Let me sleep on it And I'll give you my answer in the morning Girl: I gotta know right now! Do you love me? Will you love me forever? Do you need me? Will you never leave me? Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life? Will you take me away and will you make me your wife? I gotta know right now! Before we go any further Do you love me? And will you love me forever? Boy: Let me sleep on it Baby, baby let me sleep on it Let me sleep on it And I'll give you my answer in the morning Let me sleep on it!!! Girl: Will you love me forever? Boy: Let me sleep on it!!! Girl: Will you love me forever!!! III. Praying for the End of Time Boy: I couldn't take it any longer Lord I was crazed And when the feeling came upon me Like a tidal wave I started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave That I would love you to the end of time I swore that I would love you to the end of time! So now I'm praying for the end of time To hurry up and arrive Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you I don't think that I can really survive I'll never break my promise or forget my vow But God only knows what I can do right now I'm praying for the end of time It's all that I can do Praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you!!! Boy: It was long ago and it was far away and it was so much better than it is today Girl: It never felt so good It never felt so right And we were glowing like A metal on the edge of a knife
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love you. You love me. We're a happy fa-ma-lee. With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you. Won't you say you love. me. too. /bow
                      Nah, this beats it... Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa, Po Teletubbies, Teletubbies Say HellllO...uh OH!!! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Lank, your approval rating was extremely high after the Cinemax crack yesterday in The Swamp, but it dropped right down to Cheney levels after putting that earworm in my head. Wink
                        You have to keep people guessing. Plus if you can't see the genius in the Barney theme then you need more help than I can give....

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Blue Oyster Cult? "Don't Fear the Reaper" is one of my all-time faves, and that's even before you toss in the whole cowbell thing.
                          I never cared for it much, but after the cowbell thing, I can't help but love it... We need more cowbell!

Nah, this beats it... Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa, Po Teletubbies, Teletubbies Say HellllO...uh OH!!! Big grin
                            Foiled again. I lose. Now I must leave this thread.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten- that song is awesome but what about Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - Meatloaf?
                              Oh, yeah...that is definitely in my top 5, but it pretty much killed our wedding reception. After singing and dancing to that everyone was exhausted and ready to go to bed! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Kirsten- that song is awesome but what about Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - Meatloaf?
                                I'm so glad somebody mentioned Meat Loaf before I did. Here's my guilty secret: if I could only have one album for the rest of my life, it'd be Bat Out of Hell. Paradise is awesome (and easily the greatest Karoeke song ever) ... but Bat is the greatest song ever. ------------------ Quit mocking me. Yes. I know. Shut up. I don't wanna hear it. La la la I'm not listening.